The Dark Artifices discussion

The Mortal Instruments > Movie News

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) So far Lily Collins has been cast for Clary Fray & Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace Wayland.

Interview with Lily Collins about the movie

http://hollywoodcrush.mtv.com/2011/01...

Interview about JCB as Jace:

http://hollywoodcrush.mtv.com/2011/06...

message 2: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) "Whoa, so this is inconveniently timed given that I’m leaving the country and I was going to announce that I was turning off my Ask box till I get back in March. Eep.

So, THR’s is a slightly bizarre (and weeeirdly outdated) version of events. Screen Gems didn’t drop the project; they weren’t involved with it — it was given by Sony to a different division to develop back in… August of 2011, which is also when Sony took Scott Stewart off the project. But yes, Screen Gems and Scott Stewart aren’t involved with the movie of City of Bones any more. The rights are owned by Constantin, they always have been. Constantin makes movies: they just made The Three Musketeers with Logan Lerman. Screen Gems would have been the distributor and co-producer but it was never their project; it’s Constantin’s. Screen Gems hasn’t actually been involved with the project since — well, let’s just say it’s been a while. (Some people have asked me if this is the news Marlene King was talking about on Twitter last week but it wouldn’t be; she was brought on after Screen Gems wasn’t involved any more. She’s never worked with them so it wouldn’t be news to her.)

Why didn’t I tell you guys? This isn’t really even the sort of thing that people tell me. Constantin owns the movie rights: who distributes it and co-finances and all that isn’t actually anything to do with me in any real meaningful sense. Projects get moved from studio to studio all the time — Twilight started at Paramount and went to Summit, etc. Screen Gems isn’t even the only production company CoB has been involved with, or the most recent. And half the time I don’t know about it, so 1) I can only give out news that’s been confirmed and okayed for me to give out and 2) half the time I don’t even know this stuff or it’s so in flux there would be no point saying anything about it if I did.

In this case, I will say:

1) The movie isn’t “cancelled.” This really doesn’t make much of any difference at all except in who distributes it.

2) Lily and Jamie are still attached. I mean, it’s been months since Screen Gems was connected with the project, and L&J are still attached, so I’m fairly confident they’ll be attached for the foreseeable future. Will they be attached forever? NO idea. But nothing about this news makes it any more or less likely.

3) Really, this makes no difference to anything. I know words like “dropped” sound shocking and horrifying but in this context, it doesn’t mean much. I talked to Constantin last week and actually gave them a list of actors I liked for Simon (because why not?), and they gave me a schedule they expected to start filming by (August.)

No movie is going to be made until it’s greenlit. The movie was in development. It’s still in development. That said, Hollywood is like a big pinball machine. Projects bounce up, they roll around, they go this way, they go that way. This is (was) a bounce."

__Cassie

message 3: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) "I just wanted to say is that I am so glad that Marlene is meeting with the director and the producers at Constantin. I know lots of rumours have been floating around and I tend to be really quiet, but I want to make sure that when I tell you something, it’s true to the best of my knowledge. The movie industry runs on rumors and innuendo (this is why IMDB is basically useless till a movie goes into production and they lock down the page) and while things can always change, I want to be passing along info that’s as final as things in Hollywood get.
I have a little bit of news that’s exciting — and not even the news I was talking about yesteday! — I will be flying to Los Angeles from Mexico to meet with the new director. I can’t tell you who he is yet, but I’ve talked to him on the phone and he’s had a lot of great insight into the characters, really smart thoughts about the filming, and he had great thoughts about Jace, talking about how he wasn’t just an action hero, he was a layered, complex character with a lot of depth (oh and he has met with Lily and Jamie and he loves them.)
I’m excited he and the producers have made a special point to meet with me, go over concept sketches, talk about the characters and their direction — that doesn’t happen all that often with authors in Hollywood, that we get included that much. However I don’t want to jinx anything, so I’m going to be vague until things are definite. I will keep you updated as much as I can — I know it’s hard to wait; believe me, it’s hard for me, too. I’m actually really glad that we moved on from Screen Gems because things have been proceeding at enormous speed since then and I hope to have some concrete stuff to tell you soon. In the meantime I promise photos of my crazy trip to LA. :)"

__Cassie

message 4: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) "movie news dutifully delivered!
So I can’t post much; I’m running off the airport, literally, to catch a plane home.
I had a great meeting last night with Robert (of Constantin — the people who own the movie rights to City of Bones) and Jessica (screenwriter, along with Marlene King) and the director, who had such incredibly detailed questions about the film that I found myself having to pull out my iPad and reread City of Bones because even I couldn’t remember what happened. But he did, which is an excellent sign!
Anyway, it was a great meeting — we went on for hours till they kicked us out of the restaurant and everyone was incredibly enthusiastic. Now here is an actual piece of actual news: I know people have been fretting because Lily has so many projects (she’s a popular girl) so I checked in and she is locked down schedule-wise for an August 15 shooting start date for City of Bones.
Yes, that’s an August shooting start date. So there, an actual piece of news. :) They’re hiring a casting director now to start on the rest of the cast, and Lily has what’s called “meaningful consultation” on the roles of Jace and Simon (meaning she gets to put in her two cents, which only seems fair since she has to kiss them both) — we know she already threw in for Jamie but I will say that she definitely likes someone for Simon that a lot of you all like. Who knows, maybe she can talk him into it. Girl with good taste, our Lily.
And that’s all for now, I run to the airport, but I’ll have a bit more for you later — like the director’s name. ;)"

__Cassie

message 6: by Guadalupe (new)

Guadalupe gonzalez (lupe539) | 3 comments check out this website to ses who auditioning and pics.
http://www.cityofbonesmovie.com/

message 7: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) Guadalupe wrote: "check out this website to ses who auditioning and pics.
http://www.cityofbonesmovie.com/"

Lol I love the part where they discuss Magnus

message 9: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) The movie comes out August 23rd of 2013

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=m...

message 11: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) Casting Information Revealed for ‘City of Bones’

http://tmisource.com/2012/05/15/casti...