The Dark Artifices discussion

The Dark Artifices > The Dark Artifices Trilogy

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) Here's a general view of the series, in the author's words:

"The Dark Artifices: Okay, a quick recap. I have a plan for another Shadowhunter trilogy (contemporary, but not about the characters from TMI). Working title: The Dark Artifices. It takes place five years after the end of TMI (ie in 2012) and deals with the Shadowhunters of the Los Angeles Institute. There is a tangential connection to the characters of TMI but they are not main characters. The main characters are teens (meaning that during the events of TMI they'd be 11, 12 years old.) The main female protagonist's name is Emma, the main male protagonist's name is Julian. They are both Shadowhunters. They both have always known they are Shadowhunters. There is love, magic, romantic confusion, etc. and so on. I have not sold these books; I haven't written any of them, I won't until I'm done with what I'm writing now. So I don't have a pub date beyond "after CoHF."

But thanks for being so interested, everyone!"

__Cassie

message 2: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) Here are the names of a few of the characters:

"Emma, Julian, Mark, Helen, Carmen, Olivia, Tiberius, Arthur — a few others. It’s a big family."

__Cassie

message 3: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) "I’m pretty busy with TMI and ID but I do work on Dark Artifices a little when it’s really nagging at me. I’ve done enough to have gone around Los Angeles and taken pictures for photo references (resulting in an exciting bit of activity in which Holly Black was nearly washed away by a freakish wave), I know the basic plot, the main characters, the manner in which it explores the fallout of what happens in the Mortal Instruments series, but it’s still at that fun stage where mostly it’s just an idea marinating in my brain, waiting for its time to come."

__Cassie

message 4: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) "Since it takes place 5 years after the end of CoHF it is reasonable to assume that surviving characters from TMI will make cameos. They will be in their early twenties so you’ll get to see what they’re up to in their more adult lives."

__Cassie

message 5: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) "If I did Dark Artifices, the surviving main cast of TMI would be 21-24 years old. We would see where they are in life, where their relationships are, how they’re moving into their positions of power in the Clave, etc…"

__Cassie

message 6: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) A video where Cassie talks about TDA:

http://heronwoods.tumblr.com/post/152...

message 7: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13)

message 8: by Daylighter (last edited Feb 18, 2012 07:19PM) (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) "What’s Emma from the Dark Artifices’ last name?

Carstairs."

__Cassie

message 9: by Daylighter (last edited Mar 14, 2012 08:08AM) (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) A summary of what we know so far about TDA:

-Set in 2012 in LA.
-Main characters are Emma Carstairs and Julian (We’ll get to know his last name in CoLS)
-Some characters from TDA will appear in CoLS, we have to watch out for kids who are 11 or 12 years old.
-Emma and Julian are Shadowhunters/parabatai. They have always known they’re Shadowhunters.
-Emma is blonde and Julian has brown hair.
-Other characters: Tiberius, Carmen, Arthur, Helen, Olivia and Mark.
-Helen is an older sibling of one of the main characters, she's also Aline Penhallow's girlfriend
-Mark is Julian's brother.
-Surviving characters from TMI will have cameos.
-There will be love, magic, romantic confusion.
-Emma and Julian might be in love and their forbidden love is possibly a huge part of the whole story.
-Emma likes to fight, train, kill things, and is definitely badass.
-Julian is very different from Will and Jace.
-Helen is an older sibling of one of the main characters, she's also Aline's girlfriend
-Mark is Julian's brother

message 10: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) "I think of Julian as really lanky and fine-featured."

__Cassie

message 11: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) "Los Angeles, 2012. It’s been five years since the events of the Mortal Instruments when Nephilim stood poised on the brink of oblivion and Shadowhunter Emma Carstairs lost her parents. After the blood and violence she witnessed as a child, Emma has dedicated her life to the eradication of demons and being the best, fastest and deadliest Shadowhunter since Jace Lightwood. Raised in the Los Angeles Institute, Emma is paired as a parabatai with her best friend, Julian. As Emma hunts those who caused the death of her parents, the trail they’re following leads back to those they’ve always been taught to trust. At the same time, Emma is falling in love with Julian — her closest friend and, because he is her parabatai, the one person in the world she’s absolutely forbidden by Shadowhunter Law to love. Set against the glittering backdrop of present-day Los Angeles, Emma must learn to trust her head and her heart as she investigates a demonic plot that stretches from the warlock-run nightclubs of the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica."

__From Cassie's website: http://www.cassandraclare.com/my-writ...

message 12: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) It’s Official: Cassandra Clare has signed on to write ‘The Dark Artifices’ trilogy
Despite The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices set to come to a close in the next couple of years, bestselling author Cassandra Clare won’t be saying goodbye to her Shadowhunter world just yet.

Clare has signed a three-book deal with Simon & Schuster to write The Dark Artifices, a spinoff series set in 2012 Los Angeles.

The first book is slated for a 2015 release.

Clare has been teasing fans with the possibility of the spinoff series, but now there is confirmation, as Margaret K. McElderry Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, has announced the deal, according to The Washington Post.

“The series follows Emma Carstairs, the fiercest warrior and most skilled young Shadowhunter since Jace Wayland, and Emma’s sworn partner in arms, Julian Blackthorn,” the statement reads. “Despite Emma’s complicated feelings for Julian, the two must band together to investigate a demonic plot that stretches from the warlock-run nightclubs of the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica.”

Clare said in a statement that she was sure readers would love both her new and her established characters.

“I know readers will come to love Emma, Mark, Cristina and Julian just as they have loved Jace, Clary, Will, Tessa and Jem,” she said. “Readers have often asked what will happen in the Shadowhunter world after the events of the ‘Mortal Instruments’ and this series will give them a chance to find out.”

You can read more about The Dark Artifices here, which includes character names, setting, potential plots, etc.

I know I speak for everyone when I say I cannot wait to meet these new characters and welcome them into the Shadowhunter family!

here's the link:
http://tmisource.com/2012/03/13/its-o...

message 14: by Daylighter (last edited Mar 14, 2012 09:05PM) (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) Olivia and Tiberius are twins.
Cristina's Mexican.
Mark's the older brother.

message 16: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) What we know so far:

set in 2012 in LA
main characters are Emma Carstairs and Julian Blackthorn (teens)
some characters from TDA will appear in CoLS, we have to watch out for kids who are eleven or 12 years old
Emma and Julian are Shadowhunters/parabatai. They have always known they’re Shadowhunters
Emma is blonde and Julian has brown hair
Emma has blue eyes
Emma is an orphan
Cassie imagines Julian as really lanky and fine-featured
Cassie is “thinking of Julian as dark-haired, a little vulnerable, a painter, someone who wears all black, bites his nails and is likely to pull his sleeves down over his hands.”
“Julian is really tall and thin”
“Jules has brown hair and blue-green eyes”
other characters: Tiberius, Carmen, Arthur, Olivia and Mark, Helen (the oldest and Aline Penhallow’s girlfriend) and a few others. Cassie said it’s a large family -> It’s safe to assume that Arthur is a Blackthorn as well. Now we only need to know for sure how they are all related, are they all siblings or are some of them cousins?
Arthur is the father, Mark is the oldest, then Helen.
Olivia and Tiberius are twins and they are also Blackthorns
Tiberius is older than Olivia
Helen is a Blackthorn
Cristina is Mexican
Cristina used to be Carmen
Cristina is Emma’s best friend
Cristina doesn’t have a surname yet
Mark is Julian’s brother
Mark Blackthorn is older than Julian
Julian and Mark are not full-blooded brothers
Mark’s second name is Antony -> “All the Blackthorns have Greek or Latin mythology and history based names”
Surviving characters from TMI will have cameos
There will be love, magic, romantic confusion
Emma and Julian might be in love and their forbidden love is possibly a huge part of the whole story -> Emma has feelings for Julian
Emma likes to fight and train and kill things (it’s her passion)
Emma wants to be ‘as badass “as Jace Lightwood”’
Emma is “the fiercest warrior and most skilled young Shadowhunter since Jace Wayland” -> she doesn’t have special Shadowhunter powers, she just works every hard
Julian is very different to Will and Jace

message 17: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) The Blackthorns: Behind the names

"We know that “[a]ll the Blackthorns have Greek or Latin mythology and history based names because their father is a classicist.”

As a history student and someone who is also interested in names and their meanings (how can I not be when my names mean ‘Pure hope’?), I did a little digging for the Blackthorn family.

1. Arthur: He is the father so his name might be random or his parents were fond of Greek/Latin mythology or history based names as well. The name makes me think of the legendary King Arthur. The meaning of the name Arthur is unknown/unclear.

2. Mark Antony: The oldest child/son. Mark Antony was a Roman politician and general. Mark is from Marcus and is probably derived from the name of the Roman god Mars (the god of war). Antony is from the Roman family name Antonius.

3. Helen: The second oldest. Helen of Troy anyone?

4. Julian: Roman name Iulianus -> Julius Caesar. Simple as that. His nickname is Jules.

5. Tiberius: The older twin. Tiberius was a Roman Emperor, it means ‘of the Tiber’ (a river in Italy). His nickname is Tibs.

6. Olivia: The younger twin. Olivia is a Latinate (oliva -> olive) and this is derived from the Greek ἐλαία. Shakespeare first used this name in Twelfth Night. Her nickname is Livvy.

7. Drusilla: Sister of Caligula, the 3rd Emperor of the Roman Empire. It’s from the Greek drosos (dew) and means fruitful or dewy-eyed. Drusilla was also a vampire in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and its spin-off Angel. Cassie is a Buffy fan.

8. Octavius: The baby. Adopted by Julius Caesar. 1st Emperor of the Roman Empire. From the Latin word octavus meaning eight. His nickname is Tabby."

message 18: by Daylighter (last edited Apr 07, 2012 09:34PM) (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) "Well, they aren’t technically all Roman. They come from Roman history and Greek mythology, by and large.
Arthur doesn’t come from Roman or Greek mythology at all, because he wasn’t named by classicists. He’s named after King Arthur, but what he’s interested in is Greek and Roman history.

Mark: Mark is a Mark Antony, not a Marcus Antonius (they’re different people.) Mark Antony was Caesar’s best friend, lover of Cleopatra, a member of the Triumvirate, and immortalized by Shakespeare in his speech over Caesar’s body ”Bear with me; My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar, And I must pause till it come back to me.”

Helen: Helen is named after Helen of Troy. A Greek name.

Julian: Julian is a variant of Julius: Julius Caesar. For Julius Caesar and Mark Antony to be brothers would amuse Arthur.

Olivia: Olivia is really a Livia, but she often tells people her name is Olivia because it sounds less odd. Livia was a Roman empress. She was married to Tiberius Claudius Nero. Again, this would entertain Arthur since our Livvy’s twin brother is …

Tiberius. Tiberius was a Roman emperor; the river Tiber in Rome is named for him. He was portrayed as a tyrannical, vengeful emperor in the histories written by Tacitus (from which the title The Dark Artifices comes) and at his death handed over his powers to Caligula, brother of …

Drusilla. Caligula was a completely insane lunatic, and famous for being a deranged pervert. He was reportedly in love with his sister, Drusilla, though nobody really knows. When she died “Caligula was said never to have left her side, and after she had died, he would not let anyone take her body away. He went on to deify her, consecrating her with the title “Panthea” (all-goddess), and mourning her at her public funeral as though a widower.” Mostly our Drusilla is called Silla by friends and family.

Octavius: Called Tavvy by his family, he’s only six years old. He is however named after Gaius Octavius who became Augustus, the first emperor of Rome, and was adopted by Julius Caesar.

Absolute last is Ariadne; she’s only barely five. With her name, Arthur went back to the Greek myths. Ariadne was the daughter of the King of Minos, and helped Theseus through the Labyrinth to kill the Minotaur. In thanks, he hooked up with her and dumped her. Men!"__Cassie

message 19: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) Mark and Helen have the same mum. She died and Arthur remarried.
Other Blackthorn children: Drusilla and Octavius ‘Tabby’ (the baby)
Drusilla is called Silla
The youngest and eighth Blackthorn child is Ariadne

“Jules is thoughtful and stubborn, perfectly confident but not someone who opens up to a lot of people. . He has a huge responsibility that sits on his shoulders and to which he is beholden and that makes him very different than both Will and Jace. He is funny, but not like Will or Jace are funny”
Julian is allergic to compound fruit.

message 20: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) TDA character description:

"Helen is described in City of Lost Souls. White-blond curly hair, blue-green eyes (those eyes are a hallmark of the family), petite, slightly pointed ears due to faerie blood in the family.

Mark: Same white-blond curly hair, but he has one blue eye and one gold. Tall, thin, has the same faerie blood as Helen, so rather delicate bone structure. Favored weapon: curved, single-edged blades like katanas.

Julian: Dark brown messy hair, blue-green eyes. No faerie blood here or in the rest of the family on down — he’s only half brother to Helen and Mark. Different mothers. He’s a little lanky, with high cheekbones. Bites his nails. Usually splattered in paint. Favored weapon: throwing knives, seraph blades. Seventeen years old.

Olivia: Brown hair like Julian, the same blue-green eyes. Long lashes and a cupid’s bow mouth. Where Tiberius is extraordinarily weird, Livvy is extraordinarily ordinary, at least on the surface. Underneath she’s peculiar as her brother, but in a very different way. She and Tiberius are nine months younger than Jules. Favored weapon: poison darts.

Tiberius: Manages not to look like anyone else, which Julian puts down to sheer stubbornness. Black hair and gray eyes. When he and Livvy were born they had the same gray eyes, but hers changed and though the family were sure his eyes would also change color from gray to blue-green they never did. Has the same long lashes and cupid’s bow mouth as his twin sister though. Favored weapon: Livvy will kill you if you look at him funny, so why bother?.

Drusilla: Is only thirteen. She has the Blackthorn brown hair and blue-green eyes, but she is the only one of them to have freckles. Most of the Blacthorns are lanky and tall, but Silla is compact and will grow up curvy and short.

Octavius and Ariadne are so little — Tavvy is only six, and Ari five — but they both have the Blackthorn dark brown hair and blue-green eyes.

The non-Blackthorns:

Emma has golden-blonde hair which she keeps long for sentimental reasons, but usually has braided back or up in a bun for efficiency’s sake. Her eyes are dark blue. She works extraordinarily hard at her training - her body is strong and tough, and she has a bad scar that runs up her right arm, that she’s both proud of and a little self-conscious about. Telling blonde jokes in front of her is a good way to find yourself in the hospital. “Oh dear, did I just drop that giant broadsword on your head? I guess I did! Must be cause I’m blonde.” Favored weapons: the repeating crossbow, wind-and-fire wheels.

Cristina is Hispanic; she’s from Mexico City and is one of the few Institute kids who has a living parent. She’s got gorgeous black hair, though she keeps a long swatch of it dyed red, and dark brown eyes. Where Emma has a temper, Cristina generally gets angry only if you hurt someone she cares about. Then she smiles sweetly and plans to kill you in your sleep like a ninja. Emma was thrilled when Tina came to the Institute because it meant a girl for her to be friends with, and they’re very close. Favored weapon: chain weapons like surujin.

That’s not everyone in TDA of course, or even all the people the Blackthorns know, but it’s a start."__Cassie

message 21: by Kaylah Eiramenna (new)

Kaylah Eiramenna Carrell (wearebutdustandshadow) | 10 comments hey, thanks tons for taking your time to type all of this out and keep us updated...but when exactly is the supposed release date of the first book? I can't seem to locate it...):

message 22: by Lucy Qhuay (new)

Lucy Qhuay I can't wait for this! OMG!

message 23: by Kaylah Eiramenna (new)

Kaylah Eiramenna Carrell (wearebutdustandshadow) | 10 comments RIGHT! OMG SUPER PSYCHED!

message 24: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) Kaylah Eiramenna wrote: "hey, thanks tons for taking your time to type all of this out and keep us updated...but when exactly is the supposed release date of the first book? I can't seem to locate it...):"

All I know is somewhere in 2015

message 25: by Kaylah Eiramenna (new)

Kaylah Eiramenna Carrell (wearebutdustandshadow) | 10 comments To Daylighter: thanks:)

message 26: by Ray (new)

Ray Gaber Tiberius has grey eyes...and reads a lot... Sound a lot like someone we already love!
btw this is so cool having everything in one place!

message 27: by Iyana (new)

Iyana (Iyanaa) | 1 comments This talks about Jace Lightwood like he's dead! :'(

message 28: by Mirou (new)

Mirou | 2 comments I will add an information that I heard somewhere :
Cristina will fall in love.

Who do you think it will be ? Julian ? Or Mark ? I particulary love this one *swooooooon*