The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Other Book Discussions > Never Let me Go - book

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

James (rebelmswar) Hi I am new here but wanted to get some feedback on this novel.

I was told to read this book by a very close friend and I decided to give it a go. I looked at the cover with slight dread when I got it from the library and was kind of nervous that it would be a complete waste of time.

The book is called “Never Let me Go” by the author of “The Remains of the Day” Kazuo Ishiguro.

To put it lightly I have never yet had a book disturb and sadden me as much as this one did. Don’t get me wrong it is not nasty or anything like that, it is just so distressingly passive the way the narrator goes on with the story and how normal this all is to her. I had no clue the book was about what it was when I started and all through it there was this faint undercurrent of dread. I finished it at 0130 last night and had to go wake up my wife and lie there holding her I was so distressed.

I am not saying don’t read it, I am saying do read it and carefully, it may change how you feel about things.

If anyone has read it please give me your thoughts.

message 2: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Hi James. These are my humble thoughts on "Never Let Me Go". I guess there are spoilers here if anyone hasn't read the book but plans to.

You wrote of the narrator's "passive" tone...I think that the author meant to reinforce that when you're introduced to a concept as a child, before you're able to filter ideas for yourself and decide whether or not you actually believe them or agree with them...they do feel normal to you. Because you're not really able to compare your life to other people's lives...you may not know what you're missing. I think this tone of normalcy also helped the reader rationalize that the things that were going on could actually continue without much protest. They were normal to these kids (for a while at least).

There was most definetely a faint undercurrent of dread...by the author's design I'm guessing. He was creating suspense, dread to sustain us, maybe? So that when it all gradually came together, there would be a gut-punch?

I'm sorry that you were distressed. But, at least it got you thinking and feeling. The fact that you were holding your wife...well, maybe after reading we're a little more thankful for the personal freedoms that we have. For the most part, we are able to design our our lives, making choices based on how we would like them to play out. Maybe because of this book, even if for a little while...we can become more appreciative of the people in our lives that we love and that love us. Maybe? Just my thoughts.

message 3: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Sera Hi, James. I've had the book for a long time now, but I haven't read it yet. I've read good reviews about it, which is why I bought it. However, I haven't read it, because I was afraid of the reasons that you had stated. I'm going to pick it on my "to-read" list, and give it a go within the next few months. I'll be sure to circle back with you on my thoughts then.

message 4: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Meghan I've read 3 of Ishiguro's works but not this one. But that seems like that's his "thing". A Pale View of Hills comes to mind about being distressingly sad. Personally, I think it's part of the Asian culture, especially the Japanese. It seems woven into their "beings" (although if you've read "Raise the Red Lantern", the same could be said about the Chinese).

Now I'm going to have to read this just so I know what you are talking about!

message 5: by James (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

James (rebelmswar) Thanks for you comments and I urge you to read it. I have been reading what some people call "pulp fiction" for most of my life and I have now started to read deeper and books with more meaning now. The first like this was A Clockwork Orange then "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep".

Alison I understand what you mean and I do get that that was what the author was aiming for. I am new to books that actually try and effect you so please bare with me. It seems to me that books have a larger impact on your emotions than movies do as you picture things in your heads and actually have hopes for characters. When things don't work out well for them it seems that a part of you was lost with them. Alison, you will understand when I say the part about where the title came from broke my heart picturing that scene.

Well my babble is over thanks for listening.