The Sword and Laser discussion

George R.R. Martin Threads > Tentative ASoIaF ranking

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 43 comments So far...how do the books compare? I have read book 1 and half of 2, and I feel they are very different books. Not sure why. Both very good, but maybe my relationship with the characters is matured now and so that is why book 2 feels a bit...richer?...to me. Opinions?
Please avoid spoilers as I have much to read; try and write in generalities.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelbetts) I have a hard time ranking books in a series that is so closely tied together. It feels like one long story to me, rather than five separate ones.

message 3: by Mike (last edited Feb 27, 2012 08:33AM) (new)

Mike | 43 comments I don't know anybody in person that reads Martin, so I will post this here. I just finished A Clash of Kings and feel the overwhelming urge to tell someone I thought it was GREAT, maybe even WONDERFUL. I am taking a break before starting A Storm of Swords. Not breaking because I need a Martin break, but I am enjoying this series so much I don't want it to go by too fast. I am planning to read the current sword pick (and maybe another laser) in between so I can digest and think about what has happened in this series so far. It is sublime fantasy if you ask me (which nobody did!).

message 4: by Denis (last edited Feb 27, 2012 08:47AM) (new)

Denis Pedersen | 59 comments Mike wrote: "I don't know anybody in person that reads Martin, so I will post this here. I just finished A Clash of Kings and feel the overwhelming urge to tell someone I thought it was GREAT, mayb..."

It's among the 3 best fantasy series in my humble opinion (oh, change that to "among the 2 best") ;)

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike | 43 comments Mummi wrote: "Mike wrote: "I don't know anybody in person that reads Martin, so I will post this here. I just finished A Clash of Kings and feel the overwhelming urge to tell someone I thought it wa..."

What's the other one? I have heard good things about Erikson, which I was thinking of diving into in the next 3 months.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments My only two cents on this is that A Storm of Swords should have won the Hugo in 2000. Its not right that Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire won, but it was at the point where most people jumped on the Harry Potter bandwagon, plus a lot kids influenced their parent's vote. If the series was as popular or mainstream as it is today, I'm sure it would have won hands down.

message 7: by Chad (new)

Chad | 14 comments My ranking:

1 - Book 3
2 - Book 1
3 - Book 2
4 - Book 5
5 - Book 4