fiction files redux discussion

A Book Cover Game

Comments Showing 1-50 of 242 (242 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Dan, deadpan man (last edited Feb 23, 2012 06:35PM) (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
Let's try a new game, yes?

Here are the rules as I've presently devised.

1. Post a partial image of a book cover.
2. People try to guess the cover, the person who gets it right, posts the next picture.
3. After a day the original poster shall give a clue. If the poster doesn't show up to offer a clue and everybody seems stumped, then move on.

How to take a screen capture:

On a Mac: Press command, shift, 4 all at the same time. Then you take the screen shot by drawing a box the size and place you want to capture.

On a PC:???

How to post the image in this thread:
1. Host the picture somewhere (picasa, flickr, facebook, anywhere you want)

2. Use this HTML: [image error]and then close the tag using the "greater than sign"

What do you (all) say?

message 2: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
Here's the first one, assuming anyone cares to play:

message 3: by Patrick, photographic eye (new)

Patrick | 133 comments Mod
infinite jest.

message 4: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
yes! wanna post one patrick?

message 5: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
how do i post a picture?

message 6: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
Well that will prob be the problem with this game. you need to host the picture somewhere, the IJ picture i hosted on picasa since I have a google account (putting it on FB would work as well)

then you need to do some simple html magic: [image error]and then close the tag using the "greater than sign"

message 7: by Patrick, photographic eye (new)

thanks for the instructions dan. it still may take me a while to come up with one and work it out...so in the meantime, if someone (patty??) wants to post another -i say go for it.

message 8: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
An easy way is to visit amazon and do a partial screen capture of the book cover (on a mac: command+shift+4) or just crop a photo of the book cover.

Here's another:

message 9: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
can't figure that one out, Dan. i think this one will be easy:

Photobucket

message 10: by Dan, deadpan man (last edited Feb 19, 2012 10:37AM) (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
@Patty, you've read the book I posted! But I did crop it to make it more difficult.

And I think that is Brautigan in the picture! Trout Fishing in America?

message 11: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Feb 19, 2012 11:12AM) (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
all right am subduing my weak stomach but i wanted to pipe in that i recognized austerlitz by w.g. sebald. and also trout fishing in america. thank you for reminding me that my brain still functions even if my stomach does not. :)

message 12: by Patrick, photographic eye (new)

Photobucket

message 13: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Feb 19, 2012 03:21PM) (new)

at first i thought that was a stumper patrick, but then i realized where i'd seen those teeth and those shading of pinks behind him before!!!! it's prescription for love!

message 14: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments I'm guessing that everybody is as stumped by that one as I am, so I'm moving on to one that I think should be pretty easy.

message 15: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Feb 19, 2012 02:21PM) (new)

i haven't the faintest idea what that one is. (and i cropped mine closer because more of the image seemed a dead giveaway.) i will give a hint later if nobody gets it.

it's an interesting idea for a game but i wonder if classic covers make the most sense to use because they're more recognizable? there's usually differences in cover between north america and europe, for example. (rod, i'm guessing yours is a classic cover that i just don't recognize. :)

message 16: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
I really wanted Mo's to be The Long Ships, but I don't think it is. Is it Moby Dick?

message 17: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod

message 18: by Rod (last edited Feb 19, 2012 02:12PM) (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments Definitely not The Long Ships, wrong type of ship. I was thinking maybe In Hazard or some other storm-at-sea book. I also thought of Moby-Dick, which I think might be the best guess based on Maureen saying that she had to close-crop the image to keep it from being a dead giveaway.

So if I have to make an official guess: MOBY-DICK!

Mine's not really a classic in the sense that it would be in the "classics" section at Barnes & Noble, but it is the first edition cover of a classic of postmodern literature.

Regarding classics, I would argue that classics would make the least sense because there are often so many editions and there is rarely one particular cover that becomes the iconic, defining one. Infinite Jest and Trout Fishing in America above are both good ones, because you either know them or you don't, and although those aren't the only editions that exist of those books, they are certainly the most defining, recognizable ones.

message 19: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Feb 19, 2012 02:25PM) (new)

yeah, you're both right! it's moby dick! i still haven't read the long ships so it wouldn't have occurred to me! :) it's the tony millionaire cover i like so much:

rod, yeah, i meant iconic when i said classic. i should have realized how easily that could have been confused with classics. :)

p.s. i know the answer to patty's (hurray!) but i'm not saying, because i want to go back to reading The Englishman's Boy: A Novel because so far it's the best book i've read this year. plus, i'm still a mess and i keep blurting "oh god" intermittently. getting to the duff and a stomach-soothing cheeseburger sapped all my strength. but i'll be back! :)

message 20: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
Ahhh, Moby Dick! My gut reaction was The Long Ships too (which I still need to read).

I have no idea what yours is Rod.

And my initial reaction to yours Patty was Journey to the End of the Night but I doubt that's it. But it is still very familiar.

message 21: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments I thought mine was going to be pretty easy. This edition is not as easy as some of the others because there are no rockets on it.

Patty's looks really familiar, but I can't place it. I'll probably kick myself and say "Of course!" once somebody else gets it.

message 22: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
I think you have it on your shelf, Dan, but it's not Celine. :)

message 23: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

even with rod's clue, i can't figure out what his is... although at this point i'm thinking i might own a copy. that orange is so familiar!

but since nobody has answered patty's i will wait to the end of the day and then unveil the answer. honestly, goodreads needs to add the "unread" to the group section on the interweb that they do on the mobile app. so much easier to catch up. half the time i only know that there's a new thread because a friend is commenting on it in my newsfeed.

message 24: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
Patty, I still have no idea. It looks so familiar but I don't think I own that book or at least not that version of it.

message 25: by Brock (new)

Brock (singslikehell) oh excuse me Patty,I thought you were a river.

Can I have 300 for Brautigans Trout Fishing in America?

message 26: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
well, i'm not going to ruin Mo's teasing by telling you the answer now

thank you brock. and yes, you may have 300 (no, not 300 fish).

message 27: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
I want to play! But I don't know Rod's nor Patty's. I do have a pic ready for when I do answer one though!

message 28: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
rod's is gravity's rainbow! and i think patty's is a borges collection but i'm not sure which one because all my borgeseseses are in one big collection.

this game is fun but i feel stupid cuz i don't know how to make the little pictures.

message 29: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments Thanks for the tip, Ben! I knew it looked familiar, it's Labyrinths.

message 30: by Brock (new)

Brock (singslikehell) How about this one?

[image error]

message 31: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments The Master and Margarita!

message 32: by Rod (last edited Feb 20, 2012 05:25PM) (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments

message 33: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Feb 20, 2012 05:56PM) (new)

where the sidewalk ends! good pick, rod! i bet children's books are going to be a bit more universally recognizable.

i think this one should be...

on a side note: i don't own gravity's rainbow or have ever read it so i feel better not being able to guess it and only recognizing the orange. :)

also, have been looking through my books for iconic covers and notice sometimes iconic covers are associated with books i really hate. like a certain marion zimmer bradley book. :)

message 34: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments I think that's Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett.

message 35: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

are you looking for another image now? yes, it's waiting for godot. i think too easy. i'm going to take it up a notch next time. :)

message 36: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments I think this one's easy, but I dunno, it could be hard, because I'm not sure how well known the book is.

message 37: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

i'm going to have to defer to the rest of the gang on this one. i don't recognize this at all! maybe it is my canadian-ness that is failing me here. :)

message 38: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

The dude in the image is very Faustian to me, but alas I don't know the book.

message 39: by Brock (last edited Feb 21, 2012 04:01PM) (new)

Brock (singslikehell) How about this, speaking of Oh Canada
[image error]

Link:

http://goo.gl/Ov1ij

message 40: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

It doesn't show up on my computer Brock.

message 41: by Brock (last edited Feb 21, 2012 04:03PM) (new)

Brock (singslikehell) Kerry wrote: "The dude in the image is very Faustian to me, but alas I don't know the book."

I thought it was "Frank Zappa I Can Read Book" or maybe "The Welcome Back Kotter Memory Book"

message 42: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

I don't know your book either Brock. Apparently I suck at this game!

message 43: by Rod (last edited Feb 21, 2012 05:11PM) (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments I guess mine's too tough, so I'll go ahead and reveal the answer: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

Here's Brock's:

message 44: by Brock (new)

Brock (singslikehell) Rod wrote: "I guess mine's too tough, so I'll go ahead and reveal the answer: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

Here's Brock's:

"

I will have to add that to my list to read Rod

message 45: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Feb 21, 2012 05:55PM) (new)

Rod wrote: "I guess mine's too tough, so I'll go ahead and reveal the answer: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/97...

hey rod! i've thought about reading that book before too. although i have this feeling that somebody discouraged me from buying it... :)

anyway, i feel kind of crummy that you had to give it away when not many people have looked at the thread yet...
should we leave unsolved ones unresolved? clue after a day? no answer? just skip onto the next? or will curiousity kill the cat? i'm trying to remember what the rule was for that title game we used to play... does anyone recall?

anyway, as brock knows full well, my CANADIAN-NESS also means i rarely read canadians, so this one was a dead giveaway (though i do want to say the englishman's boy is canadian and a western and is kicking my ass -- i will have to revisit the western thread about it.)

anyway, i simply looked up the canadian book i said i'd read with him (which i just saw at the used bookstore sunday and will pick up -- with different cover -- after i get paid this week so hurray!) after viewing this photo and realized it was "not wanted on the voyage" by timothy findley. :P

luckily i made a bunch of standby images yesterday so here we go:

message 46: by Rod (last edited Feb 21, 2012 06:22PM) (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments That's Skeleton Crew, isn't it?

EDIT: Yep, that's it. OK, here goes. I think this one will be pretty universal and therefore pretty easy.

Maureen, I'd say clue after a day sounds good, and if the poster doesn't show up to offer a clue and everybody seems stumped, then move on.

message 47: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Rod wrote:
Maureen, I'd say clue after a day sounds good, and if the poster doesn't show up to offer a clue and everybody seems stump..."

good eye! i think i know what yours is but i'm going to wait and see if anybody else comes along before spilling the beans... :)

the rule you suggest sounds good. when dan comes back to the thread we should get him to update his originating post to include this. :)

and now we wait...

message 48: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
Updated the rules!

Is it A Wrinkle in Time, Rod?

If so, then I give you this easy to identify cover:

message 49: by Rod (new)

Rod (baron_von_rodenheimer) | 64 comments Yes, it is.

And I have absolutely no idea what that is. I'm pretty sure I've never seen that particular cover before.

message 50: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 640 comments Mod
You definitely know the book Rod, but prob not the cover. I tried to pick the most classic one (as I see it). In fact, I checked and 27 of my Goodreads friends have read, rated, and/or reviewed it.

« previous 1 3 4 5