KC /int/ Book Club discussion

Books about berndness

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chapu (new)

Chapu | 4 comments The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Those of you aspiring wizards should give a look at this book. Maybe it should be the next we read after the book of sand.

message 2: by Godspeed (new)

Godspeed | 3 comments 'A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man' is another good read that goes along with Chapu's recommendation. Joyce was a total bernd.

message 3: by Twelveeleven (new)

Twelveeleven | 4 comments I know Oblomov is about a young, rich guy who never leaves his bed. But I've never read it. Malone in Samuel Beckett's Malone Dies also never leaves his bed, but that's because he's a dying old man.
Uncle Toby in The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman is the ultimate portrait of a loveable autist. He also has a very Bernd-like courtship with Widow Wadman.

message 4: by Bernd (new)

Bernd Mustermann | 5 comments The Underground Man from Notes from Underground is the proto-Bernd par excellence. Never seen more Berndness in a single character. Read and learn, my fellow comrades!

message 5: by Bezaubernd (new)

Bezaubernd Obviously everything by Houellebecq but especially Extension du domaine de la lutte which seems to have been published as "Whatever" in English for whatever reason. See what I did there? benis.

Notes from Underground is a great book too, by the way.