The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

Books > Edgar Allan Poe

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thalia (last edited Feb 18, 2012 10:18AM) (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I thought I'd post a -tentative- Poe schedule, starting in March. I think it's understood that we'll be taking this one verryyyyy slow, so none of us get overwhelmed, hahaha. So here are some thoughts, if we go with three short stories a week, and then when he get to poems, a free-for-all.

March 1st:
The Unparalleled Adventure of One Hans Pfaall
The Ballooon-Hoax
Mesmeric Revelation

March 8th:
Ms. Found in a Bottle
A Descent into the Maelstrom
Von Kempelen and His Discovery

March 15th:
The Gold-bug
The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar
The Thousand-and-Second Tale of Scheherazade

March 22nd:
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Mystery of Marie Roget
The Fall of the House of Usher

March 29th:
The Purloined Letter
The Tell-tale Heart
The Black Cat

April 5th:
The Imp of the Perverse
The Premature Burial
The Island of the Fay

April 12th:
The Cask of Amontillado
The Pit and the Pendulum
The Oval Portrait

April 19th:
The Masque of Red Death
The Assignation
The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether

April 26th:
Mystification
How to Write a Blackwood Article
A Predicament

May 3rd:
The Literary Life of Thingum Bob, Esq.
Diddling
X-ing A Paragrab

How about we plan that far and then see what we want to do? That's only roughly half of Poe's stories, not including poems. What do you guys think?

message 2: by Kayci (new)

Kayci (kayci24) It sounds like a plan to me. Poe can overwhelm the senses if crammed in too tightly. That's my experience at least. :)

message 3: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments Alright! Ten days from now the Poe extravaganza begins! (:

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly vasquez Barrett (crazy4reading) New to goodreads and would love to join in on this. I have read some poe but would love to read the whole thing. Count me in!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments I read most of Poe's work when I was in my teens, but it can always be read again. He was one dark, troubled man. Is there a specific version of his collected works that you will be using, or will any anthology work?

message 6: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments The one I'm reading from is Complete Tales & Poems, but I think any would work as long as all of them are in there. (:

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments I am not sure which one I have. I have had it for years since I was a kid. I mean, who's parents let their kid read Edgar Allen Poe? I'll have to check to make sure all the stories are there. But I down for a Poe-fest. Always really liked his writing.

message 8: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments My parents do! (: My brother and I LOVE Poe, hahah. Although his life story is a little bit crazy, hahah.

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments My parents must know your parents :) Actually, i fell in love with Mr. Poe after watching a PBS version of The Fall of the House of Usher. It was just so creepy and full of madness. I loved it..... it seemed to speak to me.

message 10: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 23, 2012 07:35AM) (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments Thalia,

I have the same book, just a much older edition. So, all the stories are there in a slightly different order. Mine is from 1975. I guess I started reading Poe really early in life. That would explain a lot. :)

Jennifer

Complete Tales & Poems by Edgar Allan Poe

message 11: by Orla (new)

Orla (orlathewitch) I have all his poems and some of his short stories (all on my dusty shelf) but I'm going to hit the library and join in with this as it looks like fun.

message 12: by Orla (new)

Orla (orlathewitch) Oh and the film The Raven with Poe as a main character is coming out in a few months I think.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments That should be interesting....

message 14: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I'm excited! It's finally Poe month! (:

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments It's Poe and Arthurian month! I am excited! I get to read Poe for the first time in years, and I get to read about King Arthur and his Knights....yea!!!!

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly vasquez Barrett (crazy4reading) Starting Poe tonight!

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments Very Cool! I have gotten derailed from Poe by a book called The Trouble With Being God.... it is very engaging and twisted..... my kind of book :) Also, Letting Go Morrie's Reflections on Living While Dying. Now that one is fantastic. It is the own words of Morrie of My Tuesdays with Morrie fame. It is so poignant and full of wisdom. I guess you get "enlightened" when you are dying.

The Trouble With Being God: A Philosophical Thriller

Letting Go: Morrie's Reflections on Living While Dying

message 18: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Got these down...and starting:) Poe, Merlin and Inkspell OH MY!

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments I am waiting on the King Arthur book we are reading for March, got the Poe, need the Arthur!

message 20: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) | 359 comments I just finished the Hans Pffall story! It was so good and had so many facts and details related to travel and ballooning! It was a real change of pace from the dark stuff Poe is known for! I'd never read it before and I really liked how light it was in comparison!

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments He did have his momentary lapses into good humor, but they definitely few and far between :)

message 22: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Agreed! I thought it was much lighter...I kept waiting for the "dark side" to pop out! :)

message 23: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Poe actually wrote many humorous stories, although most of them have a bit of a macabre edge to them. I particularly liked 'Loss of Breath' and 'The Man Who Was Used Up'.

message 24: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (mornnglemon) | 42 comments I feel like both of those titles :)

message 25: by Kayci (new)

Kayci (kayci24) I've been scarce lately, but I have been keeping up (mostly).

Anyone have a favorite story yet? It's been awhile, but when I re-read Gold Bug, I remembered why it was in my top three.