The Decameron The Decameron discussion

Decameron

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

It's the Decameron, not the DeCameron (a newly coined name for the child of Cameron?). I've notified TPTB about it.

Duncan Berry And it's not "Bo" Caccio, either.

Feliks Yeah. Bo Caccio; brother Luke Caccio and Uncle Jesse and Daisy too.

Monica Madaus Is he or Chaucer more formulaic and predictable? He seems to me to have more range. Maybe that's just due to history.

Starr Wood I really liked The Decameron. Sure, it shows its age. If somebody wrote the book in this style today it wouldn't get anywhere. It has to be read in the context of its time. But, for me, it was a joy. If you like the Decameron, you might also enjoy the Heptameron, which was written by Marguerite de Navarre (almost two centuries later). It's a very similar concept.

For me, these books are closer to the roots of story-telling, i.e. writing down tales previously told around the campfire. Short-form fiction is where we've come from, whereas long-form novels are much more popular today.

Warning: the next paragraph could be construed as promotional, so stop reading now if you find that irritating! My own book (published this January) tries to combine both. "Once Upon a Timpiece" is a novel, but told through 12 inter-connected short stories. Each story can be read on its own, but together they connect to tell a bigger story.

There are lots of other examples of combining the short-form and the long-form. "Winesburg, Ohio" by Sherwood Anderson, and "Triburbia" by Karl Taro Greenfield are a couple of examples.

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣ A good read, multilayered, showing life as it once was.