The Teen Debaters discussion

Political > Smoking/Drugs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments But drugs can cause unsafe situations for other people. People on drugs can do a lot of unsafe things, and that's not fair to the rest of the people. So it's not just their health.

message 2: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Okay, no! that's like saying people have the right to murder someone. It's their right, right? NO.

Not even getting into how bad drugs are for your onw health, they affect people around you. Just like alcohol, you can't drive under the influence because it puts others in an unsafe situation.

And why would you open up even more unsafe situations for other people by making these things legal? That's just stupid.

message 3: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments There would be a lot more people doing drugs if it was legal. A lot.

message 4: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Omg, yes it is!!!

Exactly, Marianna.

message 5: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments Well, whoopee do for them. Have you ever had a pot-smoking neighbor? I have, once. I live in a really safe area, but it's an urban area, so there are the occasional bad apples.

This gou would cough this awful, horrible hacking cough every single night, keeping up the entire block. It sounded like he was dying. Then, one time, at 3:00 in the morning, he and some random person on the street got into an enormous fight where they were screaming f-words at each other, threatening to shoot each other with their guns, and rape each other's children. It was awful. And he was evicted.

That's only one person. And it caused a whole lot of upheaval and stress in my neighborhood. Now imagine if every third person was like that.

O.O

message 6: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) I don't believe in drugs like marijuana or crack or whatever. Why the flying fudge would you WANT to smoke those? Disgusting and debilitating and bad for everyone in their wake, not just the user.
I went to a science place this week where our tour leader showed us the lungs of a normal person and the lungs of a cigarette smoker.
I don't even want to get into what the latter looked like. Why would you smoke? And I'm going to say this, even if some of your families smoke. I'm sure they're all smart people. But that choice is really, really stupid.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I wouldn't want main drugs and stuff to be legal, but I'm fine with marijuana. I'm never going to do it, because it's just a stupid idea, but I don't think it would kill me if others got to make the stupid idea. If I could, I would really want to make it illegal, just to stop the idiots from doing it, but I don't know if that would help.

Did you know that the hairs in your nose are also in your throat? And they help clean out air when you inhale. When you smoke it burns out the hair, and the air you breathe isn't as clean. I learned that in health class.

By the way, Libby, I've seen images of that messed up lung too. It's just downright disgusting.

message 8: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) No it wasn't disjointed, it made sense to me:) Mine are always disjointed, shows the innerworkings of my mind:)

I understand what you're saying, but when people are high sometimes they can do some pretty bad stuff on accident.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Marianna wrote: "But drugs can cause unsafe situations for other people. People on drugs can do a lot of unsafe things, and that's not fair to the rest of the people. So it's not just their health."

True. When somebody takes drugs, many times it puts others in danger too.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Kira Criss wrote: "Yeah, but having it illegal isn't stopping anyone from doing it."

It does discourage it. A lot people who aren't now would probably start if it became legal.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Marianna wrote: "Well, whoopee do for them. Have you ever had a pot-smoking neighbor? I have, once. I live in a really safe area, but it's an urban area, so there are the occasional bad apples.

This gou would coug..."

Exactly. People sometimes do terrible things under the influence of drugs which they later regret.

message 12: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Kira Criss wrote: "Medical marijuana is legal in some places. I was watching a show about it with my brother and the host literally went into the doctors office and said he was having a really bad headache and the do..."

That's pretty bad.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Well in some places like parts of Mexico, marijuana grows wild. I saw this poster of he police department and there's marijuana growing in front of it. So it's hard to make it illegal there.

message 14: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Well, yeah. It's Mexico. Marijuana is a plant.

message 15: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Cannabis.

message 16: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Some kid tried to grow cannabis in his dorm room closet at college one year my sister was there, but the heat lamp set the plants on fire and his room started to go up in flames. Luckily they got it out in time. He tried to tell everyone it was an "herb garden," which was not at all believable since you could get high just walking around the dorm for a few days afterwards from the strong smell of burning marijuana...
Heh. People are so stupid.

message 17: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Cannibus? Never heard of it...

Wow, the things people do...

message 18: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) luhvBOOKS *~Colin Morgan/JD Forever~* wrote: "Cannibus? Never heard of it...

Wow, the things people do..."

Cannabis is the plant name of Marijuana. Cannabis=Marijuana:)

Yeah ikr? I can't believe the stuff they do.

message 19: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Oh. That makes sense...!

It's craaazy. That's why it should be illegal.

message 20: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Haaha. I don't think that people should smoke cigarettes OR do drugs, but I guess I would rather people smoke pot/marijuana than meth or something equally awful that rots your brain even worse than pot. I mean I don't think either should really be legal unless absolutely necessary in a medical setting, but I'd rather pot than meth or crack.

message 21: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) *have people smoking pot than meth or crack xD

message 22: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS There are other things besides medical marijuana that can cure things just as good. People just wanna get high.

message 23: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Yes, but for those that are fatally ill or that might actually benefit from the medicinal purposes of marijuana, I think that's the only time it should be used. Otherwise, smoking it just to get high is not only detrimental but stupid and should be illegal.

message 24: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments I completely agree with Libby.

message 25: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Eh, medical marijuana is something that fixes things that something else can fix just as well. So really, there's no point.

Smoking/Drugs should be outlawed. Period.

message 26: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments But it's a medecine. I don't see the point in completely banning it, if it helps people.

But it definitely shouldn't be legalized.

message 27: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS How can people use it legally for medical purposes if its illegal?

But there is a medicine that has the exact same benefits! So why would you risk drugs?

message 28: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

In my opinion, it should ONLY be legal when prescribed by a doctor.

message 29: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Oh, well I still disagree.

Honestly, when we outlaw durgs and smoking, we need to do it for real. Not make any exceptions.

message 30: by Marianna (new)

Marianna (_________) | 252 comments I see your point. It's definitely something to think about.

message 31: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Thanks.

Definitely easier to debate with you. xD

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Marianna wrote: "Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

In my opinion, it should ONLY be legal when prescribed by a doctor."

i agree with marianna but your point is good too luhvBOOKS

message 33: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) Marianna wrote: "I completely agree with Libby."

Thankss:)

message 34: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Asmaa wrote: "Marianna wrote: "Sorry, I didn't make that clear.

In my opinion, it should ONLY be legal when prescribed by a doctor."

i agree with marianna but your point is good too luhvBOOKS"

Aww, thanks. :P

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

They should be ilegal

message 36: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments not good for the human being. but making it illegal, will not stop humans, so that's not the argument at hand, is it?

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Well people should try and stop smoking at least

message 38: by Yuman (new)

Yuman (yumnaep) | 590 comments i think so too.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep

message 40: by Hanna[h] (new)

Hanna[h] Cumberbatch (andthetheyburiedmemummble) | 299 comments Drugs should be allowed, and I think that ciggerrets should be illegal. They kill your lungs. Drugs.... Idk, they have their benifits.

message 41: by Johnathan (new)

Johnathan Marianna... did you hear about that mom who drowned her children in the tub?? She wasn't smoking pot. Therein lies the problem, right? I mean, that is equally as fair as saying that your neighbor who was up cursing/whatever was the way he was because of pot.

Anyway, legalize pot... Just because it would be easier for me to purchase. Keep the other shit illegal because unemployment is already high enough. Would suck to put all those jailors, lawyers, police men, parole officers, etc out of jobs, eh?

message 42: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Cigarettes aren't as bad as drugs.

They should ALL be illegal. It's bad for your health. It helps no one.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Cigarettes are drugs. They do terrible things to people's bodies.
I think that alcohol and marijuana should be allowed. As for other drugs.… They are terrible and people shouldn't use them. But they can't be suddenly illegal because that would be murder considering the withdrawal people would go through.

message 44: by An (last edited May 15, 2012 08:40AM) (new)

An I am against drug use that is not used for treating pain or a medical condition.

I think cigarettes should be legal-they are dangerous, but it's your body, your choice. Although I think there should be more educating about smoking effects, in the schools. I also thing smoking should be banned indoors, and in certain places outdoors, because secondhand smoke is dangerous, and people shouldn't have to breathe that without their consent.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree Bryn.

message 46: by An (new)

An Columbine wrote: "I agree Bryn."

:D
It's nice to agree on something, lol!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Haha :P

message 48: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Bryn wrote: "I am against drug use that is not used for treating pain or a medical condition.

I think cigarettes should be legal-they are dangerous, but it's your body, your choice. Although I think there sho..."

If cigarettes are as bad as drugs, then why would you legalize cigarettes and not drugs?

Alcohol is okay.
Cigarettes should be illegal.
Drugs should be illegal. All of it. Even for medical purposes.

message 49: by An (last edited May 15, 2012 02:31PM) (new)

An luhvBOOKS *~Forever a Directioner~* wrote: "Bryn wrote: "I am against drug use that is not used for treating pain or a medical condition.

I think cigarettes should be legal-they are dangerous, but it's your body, your choice. Although I th..."

Drugs, like alcohol, affect other people besides the taker very negatively, in serious ways. It can cause addictions that ruin families, it can become lethal very fast because it is too addictive, when it's not prescribed by a doctor.
Cigarettes, on the other hand, generally only cause negative effects on the smoker, with the exception of second hand smoke. Like I said, I support restrictions on public smoking so that the damage done by second hand smoke is minimal.

message 50: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS But they are all bad.

« previous 1