The Teen Debaters discussion

School and Kids > Should where you got an education matter?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) No. Their GPA and their education itself should matter, and their dedication and optimism should matter, but not where they got the degree.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

well it all depends but most of the time, yes i think it should matter.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I think it should count a little. I mean, if it didn't, hen everyone would be attending community colleges, but end up getting 4.0's. And then the people who actually worked hard during high school who go to Yale or Harvard will basically be considered the same as those who suck at high school but get good grades in college.

It's a whole motivational thing. If it was that way, I probably wouldn't try my hardest in high school, go to a community college, then become an animator. Or heck, I could become a lawyer if I wanted to.

I mean, I agree, it just should count to some extent. Not as much as it does nowadays, though. I can't believe how much pressure adults are putting on us to get into good colleges.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Kira Criss wrote: "Why?"

Well obviously some people aren't good students so they can't get into good colleges. Should they be treated equally as the person who works much harder and gets into good colleges? Every college grades differently. For example, (I live in California, sooo...) getting A's in UC Berkeley is harder than getting A's in a community college.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Asmaa wrote: "Kira Criss wrote: "Why?"

Well obviously some people aren't good students so they can't get into good colleges. Should they be treated equally as the person who works much harder and gets into good..."

Exactly. That's what I think. Only we should slightly lower the pressure on high school students for getting all A's. It's really annoying, and it's giving me a heart attack.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, but that's not always the case. There are a ton of slackers who go to community college, so they shouldn't get the same opportunities that good students get.

My brother is currently attending a community college because he didn't have the best grades, but he's transferring to Michigan State this coming year. He says most of the people at his college are slackers who would rather spend their money on drugs than textbooks.

message 7: by Liv (new)

Liv (osf1998) It should matter a bit, because it's harder to get into and excel in say an Ivy than it is in a community school. But what I don't agree with is when people automatically assume that means any Harvard or Princeton student is smarter than a normal liberal arts school student.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

That's why I'm saying. It should still matter to an extent, but I don't think they should put as much pressure or assumptions on anyone.

message 9: by Ashana (new)

Ashana It should matter. People with good grades in high school get into better colleges. Courses in private colleges are also harder than courses in community colleges.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The second suggestion is better

message 11: by Johnathan (new)

Johnathan Yes, it should. Not for any typical reasons. However, the truth is, some institutions give greater education than others. However, I do not think you should need a degree to obtain a position in employment. The truth is, some of the best (insert title here) are probably lingering around with no education but a shit ton of understanding.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly. And the Internet can teach us so much by itself. I could probably drop out of school right now and be perfectly fine. Not that I'd want to, but I could totally, without a doubt, pull it off.

message 13: by Johnathan (new)

Johnathan Agreed. However, I find it rather saddening that so many people are far too lethargic to even use the internet to seek furthur knowledge.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah. I mostly use it for drawing tips and stuff, how to shade, lighting, etc. Also writing pep-talks and some math videos to help me out. I suck at math. -_-

message 15: by Johnathan (new)

Johnathan :) Lots of people have math problems, it isn't a huge deal. At least you are taking the steps necessary to counter its' being an issue :)

message 16: by tcb4ts (last edited Sep 10, 2012 02:34AM) (new)

tcb4ts | 11 comments i dont think it should matter. for example, i go to a 'crummy' old community college and my brother goes to one of the 'better' pretty colleges. my bro might have a better system at his school, but none of the students care about their education even though they have paid bucket loads to gett in none of them will learn if they dont want to learn. at my school sure, nobody reallly wants to learn either but we all still strive to do our best and even if we dont complete all set work our teachers get along with the students better and they understand US andd will adjust their teaching so that everyone gets it. the school my brother goes to, the teachers cant do that because they are recognised for their good results and reputation. but the school i go to received the same test results as the 'better' school, if not higher. so i dont think it matters what college/school you go to as long as you strive for your best wherever you are you will get as good marks as you would anywhere else. i think that the schools/colleges reputation does not matter but how the school/college suits the student.

message 17: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Kira Marie wrote: "I don't think it should. I mean, the person who goes to the small college may be smarter and more experienced than the person who went to the big college, they just couldn't afford it."

Sometimes where they go to college matters. People shouldn't judge their intellect on that only, but it does matter.

If you own a law practice, do you want a lawyer who studied at Harvard or at a community college?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly, LB. Totally agree. I don't want to save up a gabillion dollars to go to the private art college I really want to go to, only to get beat out of a job by someone who didn't work as hard as I did and went to a community college.

Right now my brother is at a community college, but he's super crazy good at math. He just never did his homework. But he's transferring to Michigan State next year, he's worked up some effort, so now, when he graduates, he'll deserve a nice job.

message 19: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS YES! YES! YES! YES! My thoughts exactly! You, like, took the words right out of my mouth! :D

message 20: by Julia (new)

Julia  (juliavdc) | 54 comments Yup.

If a person from Miami is more qualified for a job than someone from Princeton, they should get the job