Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Spring 2012 20.6 - Selexyz Bookstore

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M 20.6 In honor of Selexyz Bookstore, a dutch bookstore located inside a refurbished Dominican church dating from 1294, Read a Novel that has a religious figure as the main character OR a non-fiction book about religion (Dewey decimal numbers: 200-299).

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11872 comments Liz, I'd like a clarification on "religious figure." I was hoping to read several of Trollope's Barsetshire Chronicles, which, I believe, has clerics (vicars, deacons, etc.) as the central characters. Are these enough of what you had in mind, or should I be thinking in another direction?

message 3: by Liz M (last edited Feb 18, 2012 01:39PM) (new)

Liz M Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Liz, I'd like a clarification on "religious figure." I was hoping to read several of Trollope's Barsetshire Chronicles, which, I believe, has clerics (vicars, deacons, etc.) as the central characte..."

It looks like Barchester Towers or Framley Parsonage are the best fit.

For The Warden, I can't tell if Mr. Harding is a clergyman (depending on the church, the position of precentor could be held by a layperson). In Doctor Thorne and The Small House at Allington, the main characters do not seem to be clergymen/clerics at all and the main story of The Last Chronicle of Barset seems to be the courtship of the Rev. Mr Crawley's daughter, Grace, and Major Henry Grantly, son of the wealthy Archdeacon Grantly.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11872 comments That works just about perfectly. I can read The Warden this time for 20.1 and get started on this series! Color me happy.

message 5: by Connie (last edited Feb 18, 2012 02:25PM) (new)

Connie | 214 comments Would The God Delusion work for this one? (I have no idea how to figure out what the Dewey decimal number would be, sorry)

Edit: Stoopid me, Wikipedia provides it as 211/.8 22)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11872 comments Connie wrote: "Would The God Delusion work for this one? (I have no idea how to figure out what the Dewey decimal number would be, sorry)"

Yes, it works, Connie. Liz's fabulous Brooklyn Library has it shelved as 211.8, so right where you want it!

message 7: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Connie wrote: "Would The God Delusion work for this one? (I have no idea how to figure out what the Dewey decimal number would be, sorry)"

Ah, right. It is probably an American classification system, used by many public libraries. with a Dewey decimal number of 211.8, The God Delusion fits perfectly!

message 8: by Connie (new)

Connie | 214 comments I have to admit that I'm not an avid library user (well at least not since university), I'm more of a "this book is mine! mine! mine!" type of person.

Thanks for your help, Elizabeth and Liz!

message 9: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4458 comments Can the religious figure be retired?

In the Company of Others: A Father Tim Novel

message 10: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2833 comments Liz M wrote: "For The Warden, I can't tell if Mr. Harding is a clergyman (depending on the church, the position of precentor could be held by a layperson). "

I have this book and yes Mr Harding is a clergyman. The first sentence is: "The Revd Septimus Harding was, a few years since, a beneficed clergyman residing in the cathedral town of ---, let us call it Barchester."

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11872 comments This listopia may help; as was said over on the movie task, you might want to check thoroughly whether a book fits the task:

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/31...

message 12: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Karen GHHS wrote: "Can the religious figure be retired?

In the Company of Others: A Father Tim Novel"

Sure.

message 13: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1854 comments Does Dune count as "religious figure"? I'll use spoiler tags to explain why I think it would fit: (view spoiler)

message 14: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4458 comments Does Saint Joan qualify for this?

message 15: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Karen GHHS wrote: "Does Saint Joan qualify for this?"

Sure.

message 16: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Deedee wrote: "Does Dune count as "religious figure"? I'll use spoiler tags to explain why I think it would fit: [spoilers removed]"

Dune Messiah would be a better fit, but I'll take it.

message 17: by Deedee (last edited Mar 08, 2012 07:55PM) (new)

Deedee | 1854 comments Liz M wrote: "Deedee wrote: "Does Dune count as "religious figure"? I'll use spoiler tags to explain why I think it would fit: [spoilers removed]"

Dune Messiah would be a better fit, but ..."

Cool! thanks!
I'm planning on continuing with Dune Messiah directly after Dune; and, depending, I might even get to Children of Dune (children) :0)

message 19: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Leigh wrote: "The Canterbury Tales?"

I'm going to say no as only 6 of 23 narrators are religious figures.

message 20: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2833 comments How about Good Omens?
From the plot summary on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens the main character appears to be the Antichrist, the son of Satan.

message 21: by Christin (new)

Christin (lunaratu) | 267 comments Rosemary wrote: "How about Good Omens?
From the plot summary on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens the main character appears to be the Antichrist, the son of Satan."

He's one of the perspectives - the main ones though are an angel and a demon ^_^

message 22: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2421 comments I am assuming that The New Testament will work for this task? And that it doesn't particular matter which edition?

I'm nearly finished CEV Standard New Testament

message 23: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Generally, The New Testament seems to have a call number of 225.5xxx, so it fits.

message 24: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rosemary wrote: "How about Good Omens?
From the plot summary on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Omens the main character appears to be the Antichrist, the son of Satan."

This isn't really what we had in mind. By "religious figures" we were thinking more along the lines of "real" people -- clergy, saints, messiahs, etc, and not really about deities, angles, demons, etc.

message 25: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2421 comments Liz M wrote: "Generally, The New Testament seems to have a call number of 225.5xxx, so it fits."

Thanks, Liz. I'm just making sure :)

message 26: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4230 comments Kazza wrote: "I am assuming that The New Testament will work for this task? And that it doesn't particular matter which edition?

I'm nearly finished CEV Standard New Testament"

The whole New Testament?! Even all the begats?

message 27: by Rosemary (last edited Apr 13, 2012 06:55AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2833 comments How about this one? Narcissus and Goldmund

Narcissus is the monk. Goldmund starts off in the monastery but he leaves without being ordained. I have to admit (not having read it yet) I think it is Goldmund who is the main character. But it is definitely a book about the contrast between the religious and the secular...

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Wondering how you feel about Thomas Cromwell as a religious figure.

From wikipedia "Supremacy over the Church of England was officially declared by Parliament in 1534, and Cromwell supervised the Church from the unique posts of vicegerent for spirituals and vicar general."

I have just finished Wolf Hall which is a fictionalized account of his life through to Henry VIII's meeting with Jane Seymour.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11872 comments nsfancy wrote: "Wondering how you feel about Thomas Cromwell as a religious figure.

From wikipedia "Supremacy over the Church of England was officially declared by Parliament in 1534, and Cromwell supervised the ..."

It would appear that Thomas Cromwell was more of a political figure than a religious figure. This book qualifies for 10.7 Reading is Awarding - does that help?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11872 comments Rosemary wrote: "How about this one? Narcissus and Goldmund

Narcissus is the monk. Goldmund starts off in the monastery but he leaves without being ordained. I have to admit (not having read it yet) I think it is ..."

still working on this, sorry we don't have a quicker answer.

message 31: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Apr 14, 2012 03:31AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11872 comments Rosemary wrote: "How about this one? Narcissus and Goldmund

Narcissus is the monk. Goldmund starts off in the monastery but he leaves without being ordained. I have to admit (not having read it yet) I think it is ..."

Rosemary, I'm sorry, but everything I can find on this is that Goldmund is the main character and Narcissus, while important, plays pretty much a secondary role in the novel. If only it were switched - Narcissus is truly the religious figure. I didn't look to see if it had ever been banned or could work for another task.

message 32: by Rosemary (last edited Apr 14, 2012 03:42AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2833 comments I feared you might say that. No I don't think it has been banned, filmed, etc unfortunately, but that's OK and I will find another book for this task. Thank you for your time checking it!

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "nsfancy wrote: "Wondering how you feel about Thomas Cromwell as a religious figure.

From wikipedia "Supremacy over the Church of England was officially declared by Parliament in 1534, and Cromwell..."

Thanks, I have a slot for it as it was an Orange Prize finalist - It would have been nice as 20.6 but I figured it was a long shot.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11872 comments nsfancy wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "nsfancy wrote: "Wondering how you feel about Thomas Cromwell as a religious figure.

From wikipedia "Supremacy over the Church of England was officially declared by Parli...

Thanks, I have a slot for it as it was an Orange Prize finalist - It would have been nice as 20.6 but I figured it was a long shot. "

Be sure to get the 10.7 combo points anyway! ;-)

message 35: by Connie (new)

Connie | 214 comments Rosemary wrote: "I feared you might say that. No I don't think it has been banned, filmed, etc unfortunately, but that's OK and I will find another book for this task. Thank you for your time checking it!"

Hi Rosemary, how about Siddhartha by Hesse? It's about an Indian boy on his way along the path to (Buddhist) enlightenment. It's beautifully written, as everything by Hesse, and I enjoyed reading it.
If it passes the approval of our esteemed moderators, that is (but I wouldn't know why it shouldn't)...

message 36: by Rosemary (last edited Apr 15, 2012 08:19AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2833 comments Connie wrote: Hi Rosemary, how about Siddhartha by Hesse? It's about an Indian boy on his way along the path to (Buddhist) enlightenment. It's beautifully written, as everything by Hesse, and I enjoyed reading it. If it passes the approval of our esteemed moderators, that is (but I wouldn't know why it shouldn't)... "

Thanks for the suggestion Connie - I have read that one but a long time ago. Maybe I will re-read it, or I might go with The Sparrow

message 37: by Rebekah (last edited Apr 16, 2012 06:04PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4230 comments Connie wrote: "Rosemary wrote: "I feared you might say that. No I don't think it has been banned, filmed, etc unfortunately, but that's OK and I will find another book for this task. Thank you for your time check..."

I understand this book is about THE BUDDHA, so I would think it would right up there with Jesus and Mohammed and Moses.

message 38: by Rosemary (last edited Apr 17, 2012 05:41AM) (new)

Rosemary | 2833 comments No, although Siddhartha was one of the Buddha's names, the Siddhartha of Hesse's book isn't the Buddha but another enlightenment-seeker of that name living at the same time as the Buddha. The Buddha is mentioned in the book too, as a separate person, by his other name of Gautama. Still I think Hesse's Siddhartha would qualify as a religious figure.

message 39: by Connie (new)

Connie | 214 comments Well, there isn't just ONE Buddha, from what I understand, but anyone who reaches perfect enlightenment is a buddha (hence, it's more of a title, not a name). Since that isn't at all easy, there aren't many of them running around at any one time. :)
Siddhartha Gautama Buddha is usually cited as the founder of Buddhism.
And I would agree with you, Rosemary, that as a religious figure Hesse's Siddharta qualifies - otherwise every fictional minister or monk or... would have to be excluded, I'd argue.

message 40: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2833 comments I picked up a copy of The Secret of Father Brown yesterday and started reading the stories right away so I may end up with that one after all! At least for my first submission for this task...

message 41: by Kathleen (itpdx) (last edited May 27, 2012 08:38AM) (new)

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1354 comments I guess I need a "ruling". I read Children of God by Mary Doria Russell for 20.6. It is the sequel of The Sparrow. It also qualifies for 10.2 and 10.8. The main character of both books is Emilio Sandoz, a Jesuit priest. But about 1/4 of the way through Children of God, (view spoiler). He is still a part of a space mission staffed by Jesuit priests. May I still count it toward 20.6?

message 42: by Liz M (new)

Liz M itpdx wrote: "I guess I need a "ruling". I read Children of God by Mary Doria Russell for 20.6. It is the sequel of The Sparrow. It also qualifies for 10.2 and 10.8. The main character of both books is Emilio..."

Another tough call, but I'm going to say no to this one.

message 43: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4230 comments I just finished The Dovekeepers and wondered why this wouldn't work for this task? It's all about religion and between the Witch of Moab who was dedicated as a priestess as a child and the warrior leader who called on God and the religous men of the synagogue

message 44: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Rebekah wrote: "I just finished The Dovekeepers and wondered why this wouldn't work for this task? It's all about religion and between the Witch of Moab who was dedicated as a priestess as a child and the warrior ..."

Because none of the four main characters is a religious figure:

Yael’s mother died in childbirth
Revka, a village baker’s wife
Aziza, a fearless rider and expert marksman
Shirah is wise in the ways of ancient magic and medicine

message 45: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4230 comments Shirah seems to be

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.