Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenges of Yesteryear > Awards: Oscars Challenge for 2012

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inkeri (new)

Inkeri The 2012 Oscars Challenge

description

The 84th annual academy awards are being given away again next week. Inspired by the Oscars, I created this reading challenge and I thought it would be fun to do. The movies listed below are the nominees for the best picture. The goal is to read books that meet the same characteristics that the movies represent.

Rules
-You can start any time but the books must be read by the end of January 2013.
-All books read for this challenge can be used in other challenges as well.
-Books can be either Fiction or Non Fiction. Re-reads are fine too.
-Books read for this challenge must meet the characteristics listed for each movie below.
-Have fun!

There are three levels
Easy level - An extra on set: Choose three of the movies listed below and read one book for each movie.
Moderate level - Supporting role: Choose six of the movies listed below and read one book for each movie.
Harder level - Leading Role: Choose nine of the movies listed below and read one book for each movie.
Your own level - Directors’ cut: Choose the movies you like best and read as many books as you want.

The nominees are
1. The Artist - Read a book where the protagonist is either an artist, an actor/actress, a dancer or a mute. Or read a book set in Hollywood in the late 1920s.

2. The Descendants - Read a book where the protagonist is a single-dad. Or read a book set in Hawaii.

3. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Read a book where the protagonist is a young boy who has lost his father or who doesn't have a father. Or read a book where the protagonist’s father suddenly dies. Or read a book set in New York. Or read the Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

4. The Help - Read a book where the protagonist is an author or a hired help. Or read a book about the differences in social classes. Or read a book that takes place in the 1960s. Or read The Help.

5. Hugo - Read a book where the protagonist is an orphan or named Hugo. Or read a book set in Paris. Or read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

6. Midnight in Paris - Read a book that is set in Paris (must be a different book you choose for Hugo). Or read a book about a couple who go through difficulties in their relationship/marriage. Or read a book about time travel.

7. Moneyball - Read a book about baseball. Or read a book about a sports team with low budget.

8. The Tree of Life - Read a book where the protagonist has/is a strong and demanding father. Or read a book set in Texas. Or read a book that takes place in the 1950s.

9. War Horse - Read a book where the protagonist is a horse. Or read a book where the protagonist has a special and strong tie with a horse or another animal. Or read a book about the first world war. Or read the War Horse.

To add books, use the add book/author tool.

message 2: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Awesome challenge, Inkeri.

message 3: by Inkeri (new)

Inkeri Thanks Sashana!

message 4: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Sounds Good, I starting my list...LOL

message 5: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Love it, Inkeri! I have two of those books lined up. Hmmmm... must decide on a level.

message 6: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Lisa Kay wrote: "Love it, Inkeri! I have two of those books lined up. Hmmmm... must decide on a level."

Come on Lisa Kay you can do Hard....your in every challenge on good reads....you go girl!!

message 7: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments LMAO! I think that is why I should hold off on my decision, Naynay! I don't want to overcommit. **still chuckling**

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) I like this one!! I have The Help by Kathryn Stockett sitting on my shelf : ) Thanks for another awesome challenge!!!

message 9: by Inkeri (new)

Inkeri Heh, Lisa Kay. Remember you can choose the director-level where you can choose just one or two movies and read just as many book as you like. :)

I'm glad you love it. :)

message 10: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Thanks, Inkeri! I'll have to think on my books.

message 11: by NayNay (last edited Mar 15, 2012 04:05PM) (new)

NayNay The 2012 Oscars Challenge Finish: March 15,2012

Leading Role

9/9

The Nominees Are

1. The Artist - Everyone Loves a Hero by Marie Force 02/24/12 ***

2. The Descendants - Don't Crt by Beverly Barton 02/18/12 ****

3. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Count to Ten by Karen Rose 02/22/12 ****

4. The Help - Crimson Footprints by Shewanda Pugh 03/06/12 ****

5. Hugo - A Good Woman by Danielle Steel 03/02/12 ****

6. Midnight in Paris - Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin 02/23/12 ***

7. Moneyball - Changing the Game by Jaci Burton 03/15/12 ****

8. The Tree of Life - Yellow Rose Bride by Lori Copeland 02/26/12 ***

9. War Horse - Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 03/07/12 ***

Everyone Loves a Hero by Marie Force Don't Cry by Beverly Barton Count to Ten (book #6) by Karen Rose Crimson Footprints by Shewanda Pugh A Good Woman by Danielle Steel Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin Changing the Game (Play by Play, #2) by Jaci Burton Yellow Rose Bride by Lori Copeland Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

message 12: by Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (last edited Aug 04, 2012 11:01AM) (new)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments 1.The Artist: Celebrity in Death by J D Robb
2.The Descendants: Hawaii by James Michener
3.Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close: Murder Most Frothy by Cleo Coyle
Read 05.16
4.The Help: Murder at the Powderhorn Ranch by Jessica Fletcher
5.Hugo: The Paris Wife by Paula Mclaine Read 08.04
6.Midnight in Paris: A Summer in Sonoma by Robyn Carr
7.Moneyball: Changing the Game by Jaci Burton
8.The Tree of Life: Sugar Daddy by Lisa Kleypas
9.War Horse: War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

message 13: by Teneal (last edited Aug 20, 2012 02:57AM) (new)

Teneal | 21 comments The 2012 Oscars Challenge

1. The Artist:

2. The Descendants:

3. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

4. The Help: The Help

5. Hugo: Orphan - The Language of Flowers

6. Midnight in Paris: Time Travel - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

7. Moneyball:

8. The Tree of Life: Strong demanding father - Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

9. War Horse: The protagonist has a special and strong tie with a horse or another animal The Art of Racing in the Rain

message 14: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Jul 13, 2012 10:52PM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) The nominees are:
1. The Artist - Read a book where the protagonist is either an artist, an actor/actress, a dancer or a mute. Or read a book set in Hollywood in the late 1920s.

The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Crusie

2. The Descendants - Read a book where the protagonist is a single-dad. Or read a book set in Hawaii.

single-dad
The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club by Wanda E. Brunstetter

3. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Read a book where the protagonist is a young boy who has lost his father or who doesn't have a father. Or read a book where the protagonist’s father suddenly dies. Or read a book set in New York. Or read the Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

book set in New York
Love at First Bark How Saving a Dog Can Sometimes Help You Save Yourself by Julie Klam

4. The Help - Read a book where the protagonist is an author or hired help . Or read a book about the differences in social classes. Or read a book that takes place in the 1960s. Or read The Help.

hired help
The Nanny Diaries (Nanny #1) by Emma McLaughlin

5. Hugo - Read a book where the protagonist is an orphan or named Hugo. Or read a book set in Paris. Or read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

6. Midnight in Paris - Read a book that is set in Paris (must be a different book you choose for Hugo). Or read a book about a couple who go through difficulties in their relationship/marriage. Or read a book about time travel.

Or read a book about a couple who go through difficulties in their relationship/marriage.
The Hope of Refuge (An Ada's House Novel, Book #1) by Cindy Woodsmall

7. Moneyball - Read a book about baseball. Or read a book about a sports team with low budget.
A Great Catch (Lake Manawa Summers, #2) by Lorna Seilstad

8. The Tree of Life - Read a book where the protagonist has/is a strong and demanding father. Or read a book set in Texas. Or read a book that takes place in the 1950s.

book set in Texas
Fools Rush In (Weddings by Bella, #1) by Janice Thompson Jenna's Cowboy A Novel (The Callahans of Texas, #1) by Sharon Gillenwater

9. War Horse - Read a book where the protagonist is a horse. Or read a book where the protagonist has a special and strong tie with a horse or another animal. Or read a book about the first world war. Or read the War Horse.

Protagonist has a special and strong tie with a horse or another animal
Together A Novel of Shared Vision by Tom Sullivan

message 15: by Gen (new)

Gen (gen454) | 179 comments The 2012 Oscars Challenge
February 17, 2012 - January 31, 2013

Level: Leading Role

0/9

The Artist: She Went All the Way by Meg Cabot
Read a book where the protagonist is an actor/actress.

The Descendants: Moloka'i by Alan Brennert
Read a book set in Hawaii.

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

The Help: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Hugo: The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Midnight in Paris: Son of the Morning by Linda Howard
Read a book about time travel.

Moneyball: Double Play by Jill Shalvis
Read a book about baseball.

The Tree of Life: Daisy's Back In Town by Rachel Gibson
Read a book set in Texas.

War Horse: War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

She Went All the Way by Meg Cabot Moloka'i by Alan Brennert Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick Son of the Morning by Linda Howard Double Play (Pacific Heat, #1) by Jill Shalvis Daisy's Back In Town by Rachel Gibson War Horse (War Horse, #1) by Michael Morpurgo

message 16: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra (spalkiry) Wow, that's an inspiration! I'll try for easy some time the second half of the year. Who knows, I might even upgrade :). Reserved for my list.
Good job, Inkeri!

message 17: by Kylie (last edited Jun 04, 2012 04:02PM) (new)

Kylie 2012 Oscars Challenge
Duration - 1/3/2012 - 30/9/2012

1. The Artist: Daughter of Smoke and Bone 3 stars 04/06/2012
2. The Descendants:
3. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close: Clockwork Prince By Cassandra Clare 4 stars 9/3/2012
4. The Help: The Help By Kathryn Stockett
5. Hugo: Witch Heart By Anya Bast 3 stars 22/03/2012
6. Midnight in Paris: Dead Reckoning By Charlaine Harris 4 stars 9/4/2012
7. Moneyball:
8. The Tree of Life:
9. War Horse: War Horse By Michael Morpurgo 4 stars 10/03/2012

message 18: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Latka (clatka123) | 3 comments 1. The Artist
2. The Descendants
3. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
4. The Help
5. Hugo
6. Midnight in Paris
7. Moneyball
8. Tree of Life
9. War Horse

I haven't yet decided how I'm going to do this.

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) updated post#14

One more and I am done : )

message 20: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 783 comments The 2012 Oscars Challenge
Completed 9/9

Rules
-You can start any time but the books must be read by the end of January 2013.
-Books read for this challenge must meet the characteristics listed for each movie below.

There are three levels
Harder level - Leading Role: Choose nine of the movies listed below and read one book for each movie.

The nominees are
1. The Artist - Read a book where the protagonist is either an artist, an actor/actress, a dancer or a mute. Black Magic Woman by Christine Warren 4/5/12

2. The Descendants - Read a book where the protagonist is a single-dad. The Duchess Diaries by Jillian Hunter 4/3/12

3. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Read a book set in New York. Surrender by Pamela Clare 3/28/12

4. The Help - Read a book where the protagonist is an author The Map of Time by Felix Palma 3/22/12

5. Hugo - Read a book set in Paris. The Garden Intrigue by Lauren Willig4/12/12

6. Midnight in Paris - Read a book about time travel. The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning6/17/12

7. Moneyball - Read a book about baseball. Double Play by Jill Shalvis5/12/12

8. The Tree of Life - Read a book where the protagonist has/is a strong and demanding father. Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern5/3/12

9. War Horse - Read a book where the protagonist has a special and strong tie with a horse or another animal. Lenobia's Vow by PC & Kristin Cast3/20/12

message 22: by Laurie (last edited Aug 20, 2012 02:50AM) (new)

Laurie | 93 comments 1. Julie Garwood - Sizzle
Heather Graham - Ghost Night
2. Mary Janice Davidson - The Royal Pain
Patrice Wilton - Champagne for Two
3. Johanna Lindsey - Tender is the Storm
Beverly Barton - Every Move She Makes
4. Allie Boniface - One Night in Boston
Linda Howard - Dying to Please
5. Kady Cross - The Girl in the Steel Corset
Dale Mayer - Tuesday's Child
6. Lynn Kurland - With Every Breath
Kisa Kleypas - Blue Eyed Devil
7. Jerry Remy - Watching Baseball
Rachel Gibson - Simply Irresistible
8. Mary Kay Andrews - The Fixer Upper
Jane Graves - Light My Fire
9. Anne Perry - No Graves as Yet
Kate Morton - The House at Riverton

Sizzle (Buchanan, #8) by Julie Garwood Ghost Night (Bone Island Trilogy, #2) by Heather Graham The Royal Pain (Alaskan Royal Family, #2) by MaryJanice Davidson Champagne for Two by Patrice Wilton Tender Is the Storm by Johanna Lindsey Every Move She Makes by Beverly Barton One Night in Boston (One Night, #1) by Allie Boniface Dying to Please by Linda Howard The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) by Kady Cross Tuesday's Child (Psychic Visions, #1) by Dale Mayer With Every Breath (MacLeod, #10) by Lynn Kurland Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2) by Lisa Kleypas Watching Baseball, updated & revised Discovering the Game within the Game by Jerry Remy Simply Irresistible (Chinooks Hockey Team, #1) by Rachel Gibson The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews Light My Fire by Jane Graves No Graves As Yet (World War One Series, #1) by Anne Perry The House At Riverton by Kate Morton

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.