The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 15.10 - Where There's Smoke.......

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 17, 2012 09:17PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10918 comments Mod
15.10 - Where There's Smoke.......
Read a book (fiction or nonfiction) that features a firefighter, arsonist, or pyromanic or one in which a fire is central to the plot or subject matter in some way. Examples: The Smoke Jumper, Fahrenheit 451, Firestarter, The Book Of Fires, Count to Ten, Triangle, The Great Fire of London: In That Apocalyptic Year, 1666 Required: If the connection is not obvious in the GR description, please explain how your book fits the task when you post.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Just checking this one is ok Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. Description mentions a school fire & tracking down the arsonist

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sam wrote: "Just checking this one is ok Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. Description mentions a school fire & tracking down the arsonist"

That works.

message 6: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will Fire Study work

message 7: by Michael (last edited Feb 18, 2012 02:50PM) (new)

Michael Mcdaid | 163 comments would Fire work

message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

JennRenee wrote: "will Fire Study work"

How does fire play into the story? I can't tell from the GRs description...

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Michael wrote: "would Fire work"

How does fire play into the story? I see that the red-headed heroine's name is Fire, but the GRs description doesn't say anything about her using fire in some way or anything......

message 10: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Kristi (Passion for the Page) wrote: "JennRenee wrote: "will Fire Study work"

How does fire play into the story? I can't tell from the GRs description..."

the main character learns how to use fire magic

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

JennRenee wrote: "the main character learns how to use fire magic "

Thought it might be something like that from the title. I'm assuming the magic plays a big part in these books. If so, just explain how the fire fits in when you post the task since the GRs description doesn't make it clear.

message 12: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Thanks

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy | 861 comments Would Heartbreakers work? It's two stories, one about a paramedic and the other about a firefighter- they're romance, so I'm not sure how much actual firefighting there is :) Thanks!

message 14: by Kristina Simon (new)

Judy wrote: "Would Heartbreakers work? It's two stories, one about a paramedic and the other about a firefighter- they're romance, so I'm not sure how much actual firefighting there is :) Thanks!"

As long as the story about the firefighter is at least half the book, it'll work.

message 15: by Bea (last edited Feb 20, 2012 01:37AM) (new)

Bea | 3929 comments Would Grave Goods work?

message 16: by Kristina Simon (new)

Bea wrote: "Would Grave Goods work?"

Yes, that works.

message 17: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments Thinking about Burn Marks for this one - the description seems to indicate that the protagonist is investigating an arson. Would this work?

message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jessica wrote: "Thinking about Burn Marks for this one - the description seems to indicate that the protagonist is investigating an arson. Would this work?"

Sounds like it'll work just fine.

message 19: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will this work? Burn Mark the book is based around two teens that find out they are witches that live in a society where witches are burned, and they are trying to keep that from happening.

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

JennRenee wrote: "will this work? Burn Mark the book is based around two teens that find out they are witches that live in a society where witches are burned, and they are trying to keep that from ha..."

Yes, that works.

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments For anyone who like Christian fiction, I am planning on reading The Protector for this task. The main character is a firefighter.

message 22: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments What about Surrender?

message 24: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jennifer N. wrote: "Or The Burn Journals?"

Jennifer N. wrote: "What about Surrender?"

Either one of those would work.

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments Would The Gargoyle work? I know from the description that the main character is involved in a car accident/fire and then in a burn ward. Not sure if the fire is central to the plot or just an incident.

Thanks!

message 26: by Kristina Simon (new)

Michelle wrote: "Would The Gargoyle work? I know from the description that the main character is involved in a car accident/fire and then in a burn ward. Not sure if the fire is central to the plot..."

It works.

message 27: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments I want to be sure that this book works

Relics by Mary Anna Evans

The murder is actually an arson, and it is investigated by the fire marshal (and the amateur detective) Does this count?

message 28: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "I want to be sure that this book works

Relics by Mary Anna Evans

The murder is actually an arson, and it is investigated by the fire marshal (and the amateur detective) Does this count?"

Yes, that works. Sounds good, too! I added the 1st in the series to by TBR mountain...

message 29: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Thanks Kristi. The second book is better than the first, I read the first one for a different task, then realized I could move them around and use both books.

Not the best mysteries I've ever read, but interesting to me because I'm familiar with the area.