The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 15.6 - They're On Fire

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Feb 17, 2012 09:14PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
15.6 - They're On Fire
Read any book written by an author that has appeared on the New York Times Bestseller list so far this year. For example: Laura Hillenbrand shows up on the January 8, 2012 bestseller list under hardcover nonfiction. So, you could read Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption or Seabiscuit: An American Legend. Required: Include the date of the list you used when you post.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments They can be on any of the NYT bestseller lists for 2012, right? Something from the "Ebook" list or the "Children's" list, as long as it fits the other rules for the challenge?

I'm thinking of using Matched by Ally Condie, which is #5 on the "Children's Paperback" list, since I own it and have been meaning to read it.

message 5: by Kristina Simon (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "They can be on any of the NYT bestseller lists for 2012, right? Something from the "Ebook" list or the "Children's" list, as long as it fits the other rules for the challenge?"

Correct. I can be an author that hit any of the lists in 2012 and it can be any book by that author (it doesn't necessarily need to be the book on the 2012 list, although it can be) as long as the book fits the rules of the challenge (100+ pages, etc.).

Matched will work.

message 6: by Lavinia (new)

Lavinia (laviniat) | 54 comments How about reading a book by J.D. Robb, which is a pseudonym of Nora Roberts? She was on the bestseller list as Roberts, not as Robb.

message 7: by Kristina Simon (new)

Lavinia wrote: "How about reading a book by J.D. Robb, which is a pseudonym of Nora Roberts? She was on the bestseller list as Roberts, not as Robb."

No, sorry, the names need to match so no pseudonyms.

message 8: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments I'm thinking aboutBlood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef
it was #20 on the paperback nonfiction a couple of weeks back, is it OK that the book is not one of the top five on the first page of the link?

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "I'm thinking aboutBlood, Bones, and Butter: The Inadvertent Education of a Reluctant Chef
it was #20 on the paperback nonfiction a couple of weeks back, is it OK that the book is not..."

It's OK if it doesn't show up in the top 5. Just list the date it was on the list (it can be anytime in 2012 - you can change dates at the top of the page next to the Jan. 8) and the fact that it was #20 on the paperback nonfiction when you post your completed task so it's easier to verify.

message 10: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Thanks, I first assumed that, then realized, maybe I should ask.

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "Thanks, I first assumed that, then realized, maybe I should ask."

Never hurts to ask. ;-)

message 12: by jb (last edited Mar 05, 2012 07:20PM) (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Lavinia wrote: "How about reading a book by J.D. Robb, which is a pseudonym of Nora Roberts? She was on the bestseller list as Roberts, not as Robb."

JD Robb is on the list this week if you needed to know for Celebrity in Death. I just happen to be looking for a book for my challenge and saw it on there.

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Thanks, Jennbunny! I'm working my way through that series, too. ;-)

message 14: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) I have never read any JD Robb books but I hear they are good.

message 15: by Kristina Simon (new)

jennbunny wrote: "I have never read any JD Robb books but I hear they are good."

I'm really enjoying them. I have a friend that says the narrator for the audiobooks is really good, too, if you're into audiobooks.

message 16: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) I actually listened to a few chapters on the audio from the library for the first book. She is pretty good. I just do not have the quality to listen to books.....I have tried. I lose the attention span.....

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments If I look at the Children's Series List, I'm assuming I can read any book of that series?

I'm thinking of Brisingr from the Inheritance Series.

message 18: by Kristina Simon (new)

Sarah wrote: "If I look at the Children's Series List, I'm assuming I can read any book of that series?

I'm thinking of Brisingr from the Inheritance Series."

Right. It just has to be by the same author who hit the list.

message 19: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of the book I was going to use so...
Can we use a book that has been on the list as of the week that we read it or does it need to be as of when the challenge started??

message 20: by Kristina Simon (last edited Apr 13, 2012 09:38PM) (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of the book I was going to use so...
Can we use a book that has been on the list as of the week that we read it or does it need to be as of when the c..."

The author should have appeared on the NYT list at any time in 2012. So that can be anytime Jan. 08, 2012-April 22, 2012 (as of today). The title itself doesn't need to appear on the list, just the author (so you could read one of their older books if you want to).