Making Connections discussion

ARCHIVES > Momma Seymour's Reviews

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Feb 19, 2012 07:06PM) (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) My Review's I have done in exchange for a free copy of the book.

My blog:
http://sistersunedited.blogspot.com/

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) My Review of:
A Ranger's Tale by Mysti Parker
5/5 Stars *****

Wow!!! I loved it. All I have to say is, why haven't I heard of this book before? It is a must read people!

I was hooked from the beginning. I had a hard time putting this book down and if it wasn't for sick children(we love our children) I would have finished it in a day.

I Loved It!
descriptiondescription

Recommend : Anyone who loves Fantasy mixed with an ex-pirate and a kick-butt main female character! It really is a must read!

Warning: You may cry, so keep tissues close. This book will take your emotions for a ride.
description

Alright, on with the parts that I couldn't get enough of:

* I have to say it. Galadin reminds me of Orlando Bloom. A Half Elf and an ex-pirate. It was actually really wonderful to have an excuse to daydream about him. You know you wanna do it. Let's take a look....
descriptiondescriptiondescription
Add that to
descriptiondescriptiondescription

This equals one Sexy Galadin!

* I loved Caliphany. I thought she was the perfect female character. She decided to take her life back. I loved that she went and trained with (view spoiler). I am all about a sexy(view spoiler) training a girl who is learning she can take control of her destiny!

* One of my favorite parts was when Caliphany and (view spoiler) are out in the woods and they go tumbling. The scene was perfect.I think this for me was when the tides turned. I mean I thought there was something going on, but this scene seemed touching and sweet.

* I got the funniest looks from my hubby when I read about (view spoiler) dating. Really I just pictured her sweet friend hooked up with the other professor who she (view spoiler). Really, it just made me chuckle. Yes, I do laugh when I read and it drives my hubby crazy. What can I say it is like watching a movie for me.

* I did love Jayden Ravenwing as well. I mean the head of the kings guards, way sexy! I thought his part in the whole book was good, but a little sad. He was a better man then most and it was refreshing to read a book with a good guy against a good guy. Really, both men were winners. But one out weighed the other when it came to Cali.

* I loved the overall messages of this book.
Love Conquers All and Always Follow Your Heart
I don't think you can go wrong with either of these.

Wishes :

* The one wish I had was I wanted a few more cute scenes of Cali and (view spoiler) falling in love at the beginning. I really enjoyed the ones that were there but I could have loved a few more.

* Okay make that two wishes. I thought this was one of the few books that could have gotten away with Sectioning off the book. I am not sure what this is called, sorry. For example: When a book is broken up in 3 parts like: Free Falling, Troubled Switch, and Destiny or True Love. I don't know it might just me. I felt the characters shift and breaking up the book, would not have hurt it. Mysti is a great author and I think she could have pulled it off.

Favorite Quotes:

"No, I would never forget him. It would be like trying not to breathe—impossible."

"Together, we held to each other, swaying gently from side to side. We danced the dance of soul mates—a conversation that said nothing and everything all at once."

She poured a potion over my head wound. It burned, and I yelped. “A little?”Lillyanne shrugged. “Sorry. Every time I say, ‘It’ll hurt like hell’s blazes’,the patients take off. It’s a righteous lie, mind ye.”

To sum it up I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it! Thank you to Mysti Parker for sending me a copy to review. It was excellent. Bravo!
description

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Meeting Destiny (Destiny #1) by Nancy Straight

5/5 Stars *****

Holy Cow! That was really intense, I loved it. I felt like I was riding Drop Zone at Kings Island. I practically spent most summers at Kings Island. Anyone from that area knows what I am talking about. For all of you who haven't been there here are some pictures.

[image error]

Passengers free fall down 264-feet. Once released, gravity accelerates the circular 30-foot wide passenger vehicle to a maximum speed of 67 miles-per-hour! It is awesome!

In Meeting Destiny the anticipation built and then Bam I was free falling. The end really took me by surprise. But I am getting ahead of myself.

Before I start in on the things I enjoyed about this book I wanted to say Thank you to Nancy Straight for writing a book with the Main Male Character being an EMT. I think these people are over looked often, but do so much. If it weren't for EMT's my Hubby would have died 3 weeks after we got married. I thank you men and women from the bottom of my heart.

description[image error]

Now on to the book review.
description

Things I liked:

*I liked how people go through their life looking for their soul mate. Some people have dreams and some stumble around in the dark for a while. Don't worry there are "people" making sure it all works out.

*I liked how Lauren was a strong willed, honest main character. It seemed like most people could relate to her. I was so glad to see her dump (view spoiler). He is a great guy but they weren't comparable in that way. In the words of Meredith Grey from Grey's Anatomy "You're my person." In Lauren's world(view spoiler)is her person, just not the type of person he wants to be. We can't help who we fall in love with!
[image error]description

*I loved Max. It had a Greys Anatomy feel to me. You know sexy man who saves you. Both are hot for each other etc.

*I liked how Max switched jobs to become an EMT because he felt like it was a better course. Do what makes you happy in life is an important message for young people. It is okay to change your mind and take a different road. Sometimes that is what leads us to greater happiness.

description

Not Sure:
*There was tons of sexual frustration going on. Which on one hand was sweet that(view spoiler) wanted to wait but I was starting to feel bad for Lauren. I am all about jumping feet first instead of dipping a toe in.

Warning:I did not see the ending coming. Seriously it was a huge shocker. You are now forewarned to have the next book ready. You don't want to look like this when you finish this book....

description

Favorite Quotes:
"I felt the flush of embarrassment on my cheeks as I asked quietly, "Like,chemistry, a little?"
Max stood still as a statue staring at me sitting almost straight up in my bed. His smile faded a little as he leaned into me and whispered, "You mean like this?" He softly slid his hand behind my head, pulling my lips up to his. Gentle at first, then increased intensity until I found that I had wrapped both my arms around him, wires protruding from every direction, and my entire body tingled. I grew lightheaded as he eased his face away from mine. He gently lowered my head back to my pillow and moved his hand to my face. Max traced my lips with his index finger. After a few outlines of my lips, he responded quietly. "Chemistry, huh? No, I hadn't noticed." His wide smile reappeared with a vengeance. "

"The jealous part of me hoped he was being called to help an old fat man."

"The physical therapist arrived at eight on the dot. Her name was Gretchen, but I liked to think of her as Ivan, Ivan the Terrible."

"Well, I guess it's up to you. I think you have two options: Option 1- You can call her at work and ask her to coffee. Option 2- I guess I can borrow your car and try to stop a bank robber or something. If we get really lucky, I'll get shot again, then she'll definitely call you asking for another interview with me." I could see Seth's face flush a bright red when I continued, "I've got to say, given our second option, I would prefer you try calling her at work first to set up the coffee date."

"Lauren, I love you. I don't know how I ever lived without you. I'm guessing that I probably wasn't really living before you..."

"You said we were only taking what we could carry on our backs - I'm not a pack mule!"

An excellent read overall. It is one I could re-read just to enjoy the growth of characters and intrigue. Don't forget to purchase the next book with this one. The ending will drive you crazy till you do.

Last but not least, Thank you to Nancy Straight for allowing me to have a copy for an honest review.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

The Society of Sinners by Charity Parkerson

4/5 Stars ****

I rated this one 4.5/5 Stars. I really, really liked it. I just wanted more from each story. Yes, you heard right. When I started reading this I did not realize that it was made up of 5 Short Stories. They are all linked through a group called Safe Haven and The Society.

Recommend: I would recommend this book to those who enjoy Paranormal Romance such as Black Dagger Brotherhood and Midnight Breed Series. It had the same feel to it, but a different take on Vampires and Were's.

Instead of me breaking it down with likes and dislikes, I will just break down the stories a little for you. I really enjoyed all of them and they got better as they went on.

Story Number 1 : Brandon and Stacy
(Bring out the fan so you don't over heat!)

* Brandon is one of the first Vampires. This reminded me of Wrath(BDB) and Lucan (midnight breed series). He falls for Stacy.
* Stacy gets taken away and almost changed into a creature that can only come out at night. Brandon saves her with his blood. But she is (view spoiler) at that point. She ends up becoming a (view spoiler). Don't worry she saves his butt too in the end!

Story Number 2 : Jazz and Cherish
(Think Cat and Bones)

* Jazz is (view spoiler). He practically speaks to Him daily.
* Cherish has her own secret to keep from Jazz. She ends up using this secret to protect and save Jazz several times. What can I say, the man fell in love with her after that!

Story Number 3 : Gabe and Taylor
(Zsadist and Bella)

* Gabe is a rare type of Were because he is (view spoiler).
* Gabe and Taylor meet in the woods every night for a month and bang (view spoiler).
* She runs he finds her and bam... (view spoiler). Really it is sweet.
* They (view spoiler).This reminded me of Zsadist (BDB).

Story Number 4 : Dominic and Mika
(Edward and Bella)

* Dominic was my favorite character in the stories. There was something about his background and how he acts that I couldn't help but fall in love with. I was really happy when I saw he had a story.
* All you Edward and Bella lovers this story is right up your alley. However, Mika can(view spoiler).

Story Number 5 : Dimitri and (view spoiler)
(You just might cry)

* This was my favorite Story out of the 5. You could not help but feel for both of these characters. I really don't want to say much because it will be better if you read it.

Favorite Quotes:

"Brandon eyed her closely, "I'm not going anywhere. I'm damnably durable, and I find I'm also incurably in love with you."

"How did you manage to get them to close down the club for this private party?" Caitlin asked, curious. "Well, I do make them a lot of money. So I asked and they laughed, so I mind zapped them." Caitlin looked horrified. "You did not!" "I did,..."

"Cherish defiled a monk."

"What are you doing?" Annabelle looked at her mother in exasperation. "I'm trying to get this stupid cake to look like it's a gift, instead of the insult against nature that it presently resembles."

"Dimitri scrubbed a hand over his face. Lord, he had forgotten what it was like arguing with a woman. They could back you into a corner from any direction, and you never knew which argument they were going to use, you only knew that you were going to lose."

I wished that all these stories had there own book dedicated to them. I wanted about 200 more pages per story.

Thanks you Charity Parkerson for giving me a copy so that I could enjoy and review your work. I really enjoyed it. Thanks.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) My Review of :
Beyond (The Academy) (Afterlife,#1) by T.P. Boje

4/5 Stars ****

I have to hand it to T.P. Bojoe. This book takes the Afterlife places I hadn't thought about. Mainly, the fact that once you die you get send to an Academy to learn about the new you, was an intriguing concept.

Recommend: Young Adults and Adults who enjoy a good Angels Vs. Demons story.

I kept hearing the song Sail by Awolnation as I was reading this book. It had an otherworldly vive to it that reminds me of the song. Plus, the opening scene Meghan,the main character, is sailing on a ship in the sky. Feel free to listen to the track while reading the first chapter. The section you are looking for starts around page 8.

Now on to the things I loved about this book:

1) I loved the Thinking Chair. I loved how it could read minds and take you where you want to go. I keep picturing the foot stool that used to be a dog on Beauty and the Beast.

2) Professor Grange was an interesting character. I loved that he carried his head around under his arm while teaching. Kinda has that Sleeping Hollow feel to it.

3) The love story between Meghan and (view spoiler) rated up there with West Side Story.

4) Angels Vs. Demons Do I really need to say more? Fighting for Souls in the Afterlife.

5) The ending surprised me, in a good way. I felt like it was a lesson that most people could benefit from.

Things I did not like:

1) I was not a fan of (view spoiler). I thought at first I might like him but then I did not. I just kept going back and forth. Therefore, I have decided that (view spoiler) is the guy I am sticking with.

2) The Hebrew terms/names for the Angels were a little hard for me to pronounce so I ended up dubing them Angels and so on. I think this is why it took about 80 pages for me to get into. The terminology was a little complicated for a Young Adult book, in my mind.

I am looking forward to reading the next book in her Afterlife Series. The ending kep you on the edge and hoping for a better tomorrow.

Thanks to T.P. Boje and Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy Fanatics! group for giving me a copy in exchange for an honest review. This book is definitely worth purchasing and reading.

message 6: by Tana (new)

Tana (tana_t) | 14665 comments Mod
Love your reviews.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) Tana wrote: "Love your reviews."

Thanks

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) My Review of :
Destiny's Revenge (Destiny #2) by Nancy Straight

5/5 Stars *****

Loved it!!! Excellent middle book to this series. It kept throwing me for loops. My head is still spinning.

Recommend : To all those who loved the first book! If you have not read the first book then what are you waiting for?

Warning: If you haven't read the first book(Meeting Destiny)then you will be reading some spoiler's that I have not hidden.

The theme of this book can be summed up by a song - Heartbeat by The Fray. *If you have read this book you will see many similarities in this song with what happens with Lauren and Max.
Click Here to Listen to Heartbeat by The Fray.

[image error]
And you don’t look back, not for anything
‘Cause if you love someone, you love them all the same
If you love someone, you love them all the same

We get to watch Lauren and Max pull their relationship back together. They have to realize that they are not only stronger together, but no matter what happens(and there is plenty of things that happen) they will always love each other with every fiber of their being.

At the Beginning of this book Lauren wakes up to find (view spoiler). Thanks to the beast she can now spiritually visit other people. She uses this to visit Max on several occasions. We got to see Max save a life again.

*Don't worry Lauren and Max find each other again and I could not have been more surprised by how that happens.

During the Middle of the book I felt like I was in a tug-of-war match. Lauren and Max love each other, but circumstances have limited them to what is best and what they want. This is where we watch Lauren grow to realize that she has to have Max in her life to be complete, but at a price.

Making a Mad Dash to the End we see that Lauren and Max make a stand together. They truly show that as stated earlier, if you love someone, you love them all the same. Lauren loves Max and Max loves Lauren enough that they are willing to be together even though (view spoiler) is part of Max. That is true devotion and it was refreshing to read that even though life isn't easy we still have to hold on to those we love and never look back!

Side Notes
*I loved Joe! It was so great to meet Max's (view spoiler).

*I loved all the twists and turns that are taken with The Council and their counterpart. I just don't know who to believe or who to side with. Amazing!

*I was so happy that Max finally (view spoiler) in the end. Although, that happiness I am sure will be short lived as I start the next book.

Conclusion : this book was just as good as the first. I don't know how Nancy Straight does it, but she has kept me on my toes and surprised me with both books so far!
description

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Kiss Me, I'm Irish by Roxanne St. Claire

4.5/5 Stars****

Whether you want a hot sports celebrity-once boy next door, bad boy with a Rockin bod and a dark past or the local heart throb with a bet to win this book has it all. Three sexy, drool worthy men meet their match in three equally determined women who tame their wild ways.

Recommend: You want Steamy Men and sexy wild scenes then this book is for you. Don't forget about the Happily Ever After's!

1. The Sins of His Past by Roxanne St. Claire 5 *****
This story pulled at my heart and made me hoot with laughter. Nothing like a good competition of wills that ends up turning toward their hearts.
Deuce Monroe decided to come home to run his family's bar since he "retired" from his Baseball career with the Nevada Snake Eyes. The minute he shows up he realizes that this was not the home he left. Things have drastically changed and the biggest change was the co-owner of Monroe's, Kendra Locke. Kendra has big dreams for Monroe's turning it into a "cyber salon," as Deuce puts it. Seamus,Deuce's father, decides that Kendra and Deuce need to work out what will happen with Monroe's."Let's Play Ball!" Kendra is given days to run her cyber cafe and Deuce has nights to run his bar and the game begins. Can Kendra hit it out of the park while keeping her secret?

Extra's : Poor Kendra, when Deuce walked in to the bar and throughout their story I had Why ya Wanna by Jana Kramer running through my head. Thought I would share : Click here to watch and listen to Why ya Wanna by Jana Kramer
Sexy Deuce Monroe -Curling up in bed with him, Yum!
[image error]

2. Tangling with Ty by Jill Shalvis 4 ****
I enjoyed this one, but I felt more like and observer then a participant. Bad boy Ty Patrick O'Grady is a man with a very dark past who stays one step ahead of his haunting memories by wandering. The sexy Architect makes an appearance when Nicole, a tenant, finds him cursing up a storm in a thick Irish accent.(Oh Yeah!) Nicole is a very young, smart Doctor who doesn't take crap from anyone and lives to save lives. Taylor, the landlord and matchmaker, hires Ty to fix the building and he can't help but want to take care of Nicole in more than one way. Just when their relationship starts to take off Ty's secret is about to unravel and Nicole shields herself with her job. With a little luck,or bad luck, from a ceiling Ty and Nicole come to know each other. Can they reconcile what they dreamed their lives would be to what they could be together?

Extra's :
Ty O'Grady
description

3. Whatever Reilly Wants by Maureen Child 4.5 ****
Started out with a bet, turned into his loss but ultimately their gain! Connor was determined to win Liam's bet(celibate for 90 days = $10,000), until he offended his best friend Emma. She decided to seek revenge by throwing a wrench in his plan to win. She showed him that she wasn't just a female,but one Hot woman! Poor Connor had not idea what hit him when he walked into the local bar and spotted one sexy women who ends up being Emma. Tongue-tied and temperature rising he doesn't know if he wants to make her his or stay friends. Emma is underhanded in her attempt to get Connor to lose, by going out of her way to tempt him. Her attempt bites her in the butt when the tables are turned on her. Lots of steamy sex and plenty of wit. Can they save their friendship or will they have to part ways?

Extra's : I loved that Liam's housekeeper makes horrible tea and him and Emma had to drink it. Hilarious. Also loved what Connor did for Em in the end! But I can't tell you have to pick up the book and read it for yourself!
Connor Reilly
: description

Overall I enjoyed these stories. I haven't read much in the way of contemporary romance area, but found that I enjoyed these authors and will be reading more of their books.

Thank you to netgalley who provided me with a copy of this book.

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) If you like my Review's please join my Blog. In order to get some of the ARC's I want I have to have more people join. Thanks.

http://sistersunedited.blogspot.com/

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) My Book Review of :
Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test, #2) by Aimee Carter

4.5/5 Stars ****

Let me start out by saying this book was an emotional roller coaster. There were ups and downs and full out stop breathing moments. The second book in the Goddess Test series, 'Goddess Interrupted', will keep you on your feet. This book is ultimately Kate's journey into discovering her true potential and self-worth.

Warning: Do not read this book without tissues, chocolate, and your favorite blanket. Your eyes might unexpectedly start leaking and you might feel the need to comfort yourself with the above objects listed.

Recommend: Those of you who read the first book The Goddess Test get to continue on Kate and Henry's journey. If you haven't read 'The Goddess Test' then get on it!

First Look at Goddess Interrupted

Opening scene is none other than Calliope. I know not how I expected this book to open, but it was perfect. We get a view into the crazy Goddess who killed all of Henry's other hopefuls. Calliope seems to find a loop hole in her punishment and we are immediately tossed into a scene where Kate is on her way to Eden. Kate is nervous about seeing Henry again. She remains ever hopeful that upon returning they can start where they left off. However, Henry seems to be closing himself off emotionally and physically upon her return. Before they have a real chance to work anything out The Counsel is attacked at her Coronation.

Now I know you can probably guess who is behind this. Ding, Ding, Ding you are a winner! It was Calliope, but she is not alone. She wrangles Cronus into doing the dirty work in exchange for his freedom. Side note for those who don't remember, Cronus is the father of the original six Gods/Goddesses and Calliope's Husband. Events begin to twist and turn.

Kate is not only trying to understand who she is as a person, but how to make her relationship successful with Henry. Due to the disasters at hand she is forced to journey into the Underworld to help her new family. She has to face impossible odds and confront more than one enemy. Kate is blessed with the Gift of Sight at the beginning of the book and is able to use this to her advantage a few times. But will that be enough? Will Kate be able to successfully aid her family in saving her loved ones? Will Henry and Kate be able reconcile their past to move on together in the future?

Extra's

*Kate is on her way back to the Mansion Eden to be with Henry for the next 6 months. James, cute and care-free friend, has kept her company throughout the 6 spring/summer months. We get to watch as Kate takes out her frusteration she has with James out on her car's stick shift by tearing the knob off.

*Poor Kate has to be in Persephone's presence on more then one instance. Thank goodness Ava was there to encourage her and reassure her. I kept picturing the scene from Disney's 'The Incredibles' where Edna beats the mom in the head with a roll of papers and yells at her to "pull herself together." I really could see Ava doing this with Kate. Kate is lovable and it is understandable for her to have those feelings, but a good wake up call was in order.
description

*Things went from bad to worse and all that was running through my mind was "OH Lord! This is the day from HELL!" Seriously, anything that could go wrong did for Kate. The statement was then turned into "Well Hell, why didn't anyone tell me this before." Once you read this book I promise it will make more sense. Yet again Kate has to rise above to do what is needed. She becomes the ultimate Girl Scout!
description

The Ending is a cliff hanger. Yup that is right people. Aimee Carter throws us off balance with another sharp turn of events. I really did not see this one coming. On top of all of that we now have to wait till the next book comes out. You might just need that blanket to comfort you till then.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. I actually liked it more than the first and I enjoyed the first. I thought that Kate's actions were believable in the situations she was put into. I thought Aimee Carter showed us that we can do the impossible with Love and Selflessness.

Buy a Copy of Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter on March 27th and hang on tight for the emotional ride of the year.

Thank you netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book to review.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) My Book Review of:

Witchful Thinking (Jolie Wilkins, #3) by H.P. Mallory

2/5 Stars **

This might be your cup of tea but it was not mine. This is painful to say because I was really looking forward to reading this book. I have heard great things about the author and the first two books of this series are on my to read list.

Recommend: This book reminded me of Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley and The Orchid Affair by Lauren Willig with the writing style. If you enjoyed these books then you might like this one. It starts in the present and flashes to the past, I mean like hundreds of years difference.

I want to start out and say that I love the cover of this book. I think it is cute and sassy. I thought that Jolie Wilkins was that kind of girl and maybe for some of you she is. However, her character left me confused and saddened.

Shouldering onward
Love the beginning. I was so excited when we met Rand. Talk about hot man. Tall dark and handsome.
description

Rand,Mr.British Hottie, walks into Jolie and Christa's to have a reading. Jolie can see a person's aura and Rand has a blazing blue one. He asks for a reading and she takes out the cards but he wants specific's about his future. She says that all she can do is see auras. She then proceeds to inform him on his aura. I could feel the pull between Rand and Jolie. It was great. I kept thinking, "Yes, we get to watch them fall in love over time." But instead I got information overload. Years and important events were summed up. I felt confused and discombobulated. By the time we got back to the story between Rand and Jolie we get shifted back to the past through Jolie's journal entries. I kept up reading though hoping that we would see an end to the past and come back to the present. We did hit the present and then back to the past with journal entries. This pattern kept repeating. The whole time Jolie is trying to keep a secret from Rand about her past and consequently his. Throw in a love triangle with Sinjin a vampire and we have our opposing forces.

Will Jolie trust Rand with her secret? Who will she pick Rand or Sinjin? What is going to happen with her being the Queen of the Underworld? (I forgot to mention that she becomes this during the information overload.)

Besides going back and forth with present and past I think the ending really confused me the most. We wind up at the beginning of the book. We were still asking ourselves the same questions.

Overall I give it a 2 out of 5. It was okay but I am not going to write home about it. For me it was just a writing style issue. I have a hard time with all books written this way so it is not necessarily the author. I am still looking forward to the first two books since they are not written this way.

Thank you netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book to review.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) Hey Guys. Thank you for all those who take the time and look at my reviews. Feel free to leave comments on my blog Amanda @ Sisters Unedited. I love getting feedback. Also if you are a follower or become one please let me know your blog and I will gladly follow you back. :o)

I also have my first Blog Hop coming up April 16-22 . I will be posting more details soon.

Thanks.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) My Book Review of The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa

This review was originally posted at Sisters Unedited

Rated: 4/5 Stars ****

Recommend : If you enjoy Young Adult Paranormal books about Vampires then give this a try. Julie Kagawa takes the normal vampire book and gives it a dark twist.

The book begins with a hanging. Yes you heard right. Right off the bat we have children being hung for stealing food. The society that Julie Kagawa created reminded me of The Hunger Games in that the cities seem to be kept apart from each other and people are kept in the dark about all things. There are fences and walls keeping out the Rabids and keeping Registered and Unregistered people in. Vampires run this show though. They keep people like Cattle. If you are Registered, branded, then you get meal tickets. If you are not then you must steal and that is a hanging offence. Those that are Registered must donate blood once a month no matter what.

Allison Sekemoto is an Unregistered. Her family is a bunch of orphans like her who live in an abandoned condemned school building. They stick together because there is power in numbers especially when rival gangs are all around. Allie has a soft spot for helping out her friend Stick. This happens to bring about her being hunted, but I am getting ahead of myself. Due to starvation she went outside the wall to find food amongst the Rabids territory. She gets run out of a house by a Rabid deer and finds a concealed stash of food and supplies under the garage. Excited about the fact that her and her family won't be starving if they can come and get the food she makes her way home.

The Vampire enters stage left. While she was in the underground tunnels, this is how she got outside the wall, she runs into a vampire who is having a 4 course meal. The vampire however lets her live.

"And you, little wildcat, I suspect you have claws you wouldn't hesitate to use. I find I am in no mood for another fight, so consider yourself lucky. You met a heartless, soulless bloodsucker and lived. Next time, it might be very different."

Allie does make her way back to the school and collects Stick, Lucas (the leader and maybe her future boyfriend) and Rat (the newest member who is a mean bully). They make their way back to where Allie found the supplies and suddenly things go really wrong. Their worst nightmare happens. A storm starts up and while trying to out run the worst of it Rabids show up.

Will they be able to escape with their lives and their food? Who is this strange Vampire who uses the underground tunnels?

My thoughts:

I have to say that this book took me a while to really get into. It is broken up into 4 parts. The first 2 parts were choppy and felt a little like information overload. I feel like it was all about setting up the background so we can get to the actual story.

Part 1 is about the summary I provided. Allie's struggles with day to day life. In this part you get your first look at what the Rabid look like.

"It had been human once, that was the most horrible thing about it. It still had a vaguely human face and emaciated body, though its skin, nearly pure white and stretched tightly across its bones, looked more skeleton than human. The tattered threads of what had been clothes hung on its frame, and its hair was tangled and matted. Its eyes were white orbs with no irises or pupils, just a blank, dead white."

description

Part 2 you get to meet the Vampire you read about in Part 1. I will say he calls himself Kanin and I actually enjoyed his character. This part reminds me of the Movie I am Legend.

description
description

Halfway through Part 3 was when this book started kicking into gear. I will say that our Main Male Character isn't introduced till now. I wanted more time to read and fall in love with his character and felt a little short changed about him being introduced so late in the book.

Our Mystery Man of the Hour!

description
description

"The mighty hunter," I quipped as we snuck out the back door, escaping into the yard. "He can take down vicious rabids and rampaging boars, but one old lady can make him flee in terror."

Part 4 brought her back to her beginning situation all over again, but this time the plot picks up much faster and then it soars. I thought the ending was brilliant and made the first half bearable. I have high hopes for the next book now that the background etc. has been written.

"I might be a monster, but I can be human, too. I can choose to be human."

Overall I enjoyed the book thanks to the last half. If you find that the beginning is taking a while just hang in there because I have a feeling this series will continue to keep getting better.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this book to review.

This Goodreads review link

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura Thomas (laurathomas) | 258 comments Mommaseymour wrote: "Hey Guys. Thank you for all those who take the time and look at my reviews. Feel free to leave comments on my blog Amanda @ Sisters Unedited. I love getting feedback. Also if you are a follower or ..."

I thought I was following your blog but I missed it. i am now, very nice! tried to leave you a comment but after about 8 tries it still would not recognize the letters to enter. Great review. Want to read it:) If you want to stop over, my blog is
http://fuonlyknew.wordpress.com

message 16: by Amanda (last edited Apr 09, 2012 11:21AM) (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) lol . Sorry. I know that the spam detector can be annoying. Thanks for stopping by though. I will be heading over to your site!

Gotcha followed under Sisters Unedited. ;o)

message 17: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Sheri | 6194 comments Mod
Hi! Any threads without activity for three months are moved to the archives. If you want me to reinstate this thread, just leave me a note here! Thanks!