What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Children's picture book with a Great Dane.

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elle (new)

Elle | 56 comments Can anyone remember a children's picture book that had a huge Great Dane in it? I think there was a picture of it next to a tiny dog.

Would have been late 1980s or early 1990s. Maybe around the time of Shirley Hughes?

I can't remember anything more about it - just the picture.

message 2: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Have you tried doing a Google image search?

message 3: by Elle (new)

Elle | 56 comments I couldn't find it in an image search :(.

Oh, and it wasn't red, so it wasn't Clifford :).

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip (jeeveswooster) Elle wrote: "Can anyone remember a children's picture book that had a huge Great Dane in it? I think there was a picture of it next to a tiny dog.

Would have been late 1980s or early 1990s. Maybe around the ..."

Could it be one of Alexander Day's "Good Dog Carl" books. Following is a link to a site with the covers of the books about Carl the Great Dane: http://www.gooddogcarl.com/books.htm "Carl's Puppy Trouble" shows him with smaller dogs.

I really like the Carl books. I particularly like the "Carl Pops up". One of the great things about having children is you get to see these things.

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 200 comments There is a Great Dane in the Hairy Maclary series, could this be it?
Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy

message 6: by Elle (new)

Elle | 56 comments Thanks for the recs, but I don't think it was Hercules Morse. I'm pretty sure that the Great Dane was a similar colour though.

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 200 comments I found this one but there's no Goodreads info, plus it might be a bit too old, but anyway ...http://www.oldchildrensbooks.com/cate...
It's called Mr Picklepaw's Puppy

message 8: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 200 comments Also there's the Pinkerton series by Steve Kellog
Pinkerton & Friends
but the dog in that one is a different colour.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela | 62 comments Maybe Is Milton Missing? by Steven Kroll. It was first published in 1975, so a little earlier than you said, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

message 10: by Elle (new)

Elle | 56 comments Oh dear. I just remembered this thread. And as I read the first post, I really hoped it wasn't me who had given such a vague vague vague description.

I don't think it was any of the books suggested (but kudos for responding to my, hopefully late night, ramblings!). The great dane I have in my mind has different ears. I'm not much help, am I :S.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

message 11: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (weareattached) | 218 comments Could it have been Henry and Mudge: The First Book?

message 12: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melanie_yap) | 4 comments I do remember there was a picture book my mom read to me in the early 90s which had a Great Dane in it, it wasn't about the Great Dane though...
It was about a flea that kept jumping from one type of dog to another to find a nice place to live, but none of the dogs was suitable, one was too clean, the others too hairy, not hairy enough, too big, too small etc... In the end the flea ended up with a stray dog that was just perfect.
Somewhere in the middle he passed a Great Dane (the picture of which took up two pages if I remember correctly), right before or after he passed a very small dog I believe...

Unfortunately, I can't recall the title at this moment, but if that story rings any bells, let me know, and I'll do a search at my parents' houses (and hope they didn't give it away).

... Maybe I'll just do the search anyway, because now I need to know what it was :P... I loved that book :)!

message 13: by Suzie Whiteside (new)

Suzie Whiteside | 5 comments There were several books about Pinkerton the Great Dane by Steven Kellog. Pinkerton was a black and white Dane. It might be one of those - I know there was also a cat in the stories with Pinkerton - maybe that is what you are thinking of

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39319 comments Mod
Maybe?

message 15: by bookel (last edited Jul 21, 2013 02:03AM) (new)

bookel | 2347 comments Were the ears pricked (cropped) or floppy (natural)? That might give indications of where it was published.

message 16: by bookel (last edited Jul 21, 2013 02:28AM) (new)

bookel | 2347 comments - The Carl books have a rottweiler in them. The illustrations are gorgeous though. :)
- Mr. Picklepaw's Puppy images. (Plot: A little wet puppy with big paws showed up in the rain, and he grew and grew. At last Mr. Picklepaw could stand his mischief and clumsiness no longer! Probably a Great Dane puppy.)
- Pinkerton was my first thought too.
A cat is introduced in this book. A Rose for Pinkerton.
- Browsing "great dane" subject:"juvenile fiction" with year range 1950-1995 on Google Books, here's another one.
The Pup Grew Up! by Samuil Ja Maršak
Henry Holt and Company, 1989 - 32 pages
This lively rhyme tells the story of a lady who gets on a train with a pan, a divan, a basin, a box with three locks, a valise, and a Pekingese--and who gets off the train with everything and a great big Great Dane. Somewhere along the line, her pup grew up. Full color. Parents' Choice Honor Awards for Illustration and Text. Cover for The Pup Grew Up! Marshak, Samuel [Translated From the Russian by Richard Pevear] Illustrated by Vladimir Radunsky. Internal pics. Nothing showing the Great Dane...
- What color do you think the Great Dane is? I can't recall what color the dog is in Hairy Maclary. Unless it's the tan/fawn colored one with dark face? That looks more like a mastiff.

message 17: by Westcoast_girl (new)

Westcoast_girl | 157 comments Cynthia Rylant writes the Henry and Mudge books.

message 18: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) More Marmaduke by Brad Anderson

'Marmaduke' was one of the most famous cartoons in the newspapers for years. No one but me, remembers this?

message 19: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2347 comments I looked at Marmaduke in Google images yesterday and have seen books based on the character but are they only comics?

message 20: by bookel (last edited Jul 21, 2013 06:58PM) (new)

bookel | 2347 comments From a Loganberry page:
Peanut by Ruth and Latrobe Carroll,
published Oxford Univ Pr 1951, 48 pages "Peanut is a tiny puppy who lives in a teapot and eats out of a bottle cap, until a Great Dane becomes a pet in the same family. Poor Peanut decides to run away. His adventures are illustrated in soft two-color pictures." (Horn Book Dec/51 p.380 pub ad) The review, p.406 says that he sits on a spool of thread and plays under a geranium in a plant pot, and that there are 'fine pictures on almost every page.'

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Here's another image from "Peanut" that bkl linked to:

http://www.vintagechildrensbooksmykid...

message 22: by Elle (new)

Elle | 56 comments Thanks for the replies. I never got the notification of these replies :)

From memory, the book was full colour, but it wasn't Pinkleton or Picklepaw.

I think the ears might have been natural.

message 23: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments A couple more to look at:
Great-Aunt IDA and Her Great Dane, Doc Great-Aunt IDA and Her Great Dane, Doc by Leah Komaiko
Puppy Love http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

Do you remember if the illustrations were cartoony, realistic, painterly, etc?

message 24: by Elle (last edited Aug 17, 2013 10:00PM) (new)

Elle | 56 comments I think the illustrations were similar to Richard Scarry's. Not sure if that helps :p

message 25: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 529 comments Watchdog and the Coyotes? It's kind of a junior chapter book with pictures.

message 26: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 152 comments Clifford the Big Red Dog! (ok, well I always thought he was a Great Dane, just supersized :)

message 27: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2347 comments Shirley Hughes was also illustrating in the 1970s, what about before then too?

Do you recall that illustration from an internal picture or the cover? Was it in color or black and white or part color? Was it a short story or short chapter book with color illustrations or are you convinced it's a picture book? If the dogs aren't on the cover as described, do you recall what the cover looked like?

What color was the great dane? Tan/fawn like on the cover of Petey by Betty Cavanna?

message 28: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2347 comments From message 3 it is not Clifford and it's not red. Clifford doesn't look like a great dane anyway...

message 29: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 152 comments In abject apology for being facetious (and for missing that Clifford was already mentioned)

http://dolforum.com/forum/archive/ind...

Has quite a few answers, some already covered here, some not.

message 30: by Elle (new)

Elle | 56 comments Thanks for all the replies.

I am pretty sure it was a picture book. I think I may have been too young to have read a chapter book (which would put it very early 90s, before 1993).

I can't recall if the picture was on the cover or within the book, sorry :(

I believe it was in colour and the dogs were the kind of fawn colour with black eyes and tips.

Thanks for the link, Krazykiwi. I'm checking it out now :)

message 31: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5014 comments Hmm...let's see if we can squeeze some memories out.

Could the book have possibly been about different dog breeds? There is Dogs Dogs by Nita Jonas . You can see some illustrations here http://myvintagebookcollectioninblogf...

You said the images were similar to Richard Scarry's. Did the characters have black outlines around them? Did the animals wear clothes? Were there any human characters?

Hardcover or paperback?

Could it have possibly been another breed? Or, was it definitely a Great Dane?

I apologize if some of these questions were already asked. I tried to make sure I read everything thoroughly before posting :)

message 32: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Elle, are you still looking for this book?

message 33: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments I'm thinking it could be Go, Dog, Go :) Cover dog is large and could be a Great Dane; there are large and small dogs next to him within the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Go-Dog-P-D-Eas...

https://www.dymocks.com.au/Pages/Imag...
https://images.gr-assets.com/books/13...

message 34: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl wrote: "Elle, are you still looking for this book?"

No reply in 4+ years. Moving to Abandoned.