RevWar Revolutionary War Book Club discussion

Victory at Yorktown > Ch 5 - A Little Persevering and Determined Army

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Boothe (Smoothe_1) | 49 comments Mod
Please post discussion for Ch 5 here.

message 2: by Harold (new)

Harold Titus (haroldtitus) | 25 comments I liked this chapter. The author did a fine job presenting Nathanael Greene and Daniel Morgan's backgrounds, essential detail that makes more believable the two Americans' successes as military leaders. Morgan's triumph at Cowpens is very well narrated. Detail like Cornwallis leaning too heavily on the tip of his sword and breaking it while listening to the news of Tarleton's defeat added interest.

I was happy to see that the author finished the story of John Champe, however briefly. I was also glad to see that he added the detail of Andrew Jackson, not yet fourteen, being attacked by a British soldier.

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve Boothe (Smoothe_1) | 49 comments Mod
Along with Knox, there were probably no more indispensable officers under Washington in the American cause than Greene and Morgan. They are interesting biographical reads, too. My favorites are:

Daniel Morgan Revolutionary Rifleman by Don Higginbotham Daniel Morgan: Revolutionary Rifleman

Washington's General Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution by Terry Golway Washington's General: Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution