Around the World in Books discussion

Book Suggestions > March book suggestions - ENGLAND.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 179 comments Mod
England

message 2: by Phylwil (new)

Phylwil | 13 comments were we going on to a country starting with "F?" Like France, Fiji, Faroe Islands, or Finland?

message 3: by Chris (last edited Feb 20, 2012 01:38AM) (new)

Chris Fletcher | 124 comments Mod
I'm afraid I can't be of much use with any modern English work - I'm still trying to catch up on all of the old stuff! I would definitely like to read something more current though.

I'm thinking that this month's poll may be rather large... So I'm going to limit myself to three suggestions.

Not sure if this is stretching the boundaries of the group too much, but George Orwell wrote some really interesting essays on Englishness (I prefer his essays to his novels). You can get these online, or there is an anthology called Orwell's England.

I think that Daphne du Maurier's novels are the most quintessentially English that I've read. I'd plump for Jamaica Inn and wouldn't mind reading it again, as I read it when I was about 15.

My final suggestion is Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island, which gives a great portrayal of the national character.

message 4: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (starfish13) There are so many potential choices, even London alone offers a huge variety. [Book:Atonement|6867] by Ian McEwan, [Book:The Remains of The Day|28921] by Kazuo Ishiguro, [Book: Tess of the D'Urbervilles|1591168] by Thomas Hardy are three that I would recommend.

With regard to Bill Bryson, there are many other writers with a better insight into the English, for example Stuart Marconie ([Book:Adventure on the High Teas|4327387] and [Book:Pies and Prejudice|765768]), Peter Akroyd ([Book:Albion: The Origins of the English Imagination|67714] and [Book:London: The Biography|107400]) etc. There are also some great British travel writers that you could look at; Eric Newby, Bruce Chatwin, Jan Morris, Patrick Leigh Fermor, for example.

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 179 comments Mod
There are many good suggestions made already but I'd like to throw in a few more. How about something by Julian Barnes maybe England, EnglandEngland, England or Arthur and George Arthur and George. Another suggestion is Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Siminson which is a very sweet book that is hard not to enjoy about multiculturalism and changing social norms.Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

message 6: by Chris (new)

Ah yeah, I keep seeing Arthur and George in charity shops. Would quite like an excuse to read it :)

message 7: by Chris (new)

Yes! Broaden the options a bit...

British humour ... funniest book I've ever read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

A non-human story... fantastic story-telling Watership Down by Richard Adams (no relation to above Douglas)

message 8: by Laureen (new)

Laureen (goodreadscomliterateworld) | 82 comments Mod
I was also thinking we never tried a current best seller and there is one out there now on the London games which is a fiction thriller, Private Games by James Patterson. Just a thought.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Thanks for taking the time to post the summaries Mar, it's really useful. Must have taken the extra day to do, as there are so many!