Herman Melville discussion

I love Project Gutenberg, but...

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Azaghedi (new)

Azaghedi | 19 comments Mod
Does anyone actually enjoy--no, can anyone even tolerate--such a thing like this?

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/9147/m...

I mean, I'm not one for audiobooks, so perhaps I'm not the target demographic, but how could anyone deal with that robotic monstrosity butchering the painstakingly crafted poetry of Moby-Dick? I think project Gutenberg is great, but I think if they're going to branch out into audiobooks, perhaps they should wait until a well-spoken volunteer is ready to record one. I'm no luddite, but that is atrocious.

"Call me Ish'mull."

Ack!

message 2: by Donald (new)

Donald (donf) | 26 comments It sounds like how they make space aliens sound like on TV and movies!

message 3: by Azaghedi (new)

Azaghedi | 19 comments Mod
Haha! I mean, I appreciate what they're doing; it would be especially helpful for the blind. But don't the blind deserve better? It would be torturous to sit through more than a few seconds of that.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Hapka (chapka) | 1 comments Azzageddi wrote: "Does anyone actually enjoy--no, can anyone even tolerate--such a thing like this?

Well, if the book is popular enough, there'll be a more professionally produced audio book and you can choose that instead.

If the book isn't popular enough, and you need an audio book (for instance, for the blind), the question is, is it better to have that, or nothing? If you really want to read something that isn't commercially available, I'm guessing you deal with the robot voice.