Readit1st Book Club discussion

The Hunger Games > Random Thoughts & Rants

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elena (new)

Elena Since this book makes you think about random things at random times, and also because this book sort of provokes this maddening passion to just blurb thoughts to people about it, I have decided to begin this portal where anyone with anything to say can just POST... feel free to be free :) with your words and thoughts...

I'll begin....

I cannot believe they did a 'dress-up' show right before sending the Tributes to kill each other, like it mattered how beautiful they were... what does beauty have to do with brains? or were they trying to breed (ie. sponsor) a 'type'? .... maybe i'm stretching my imagination, but I just didn't get that whole 'pageantry' feel to the book...

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Elemillia wrote: "I cannot believe they did a 'dress-up' show right before sending the Tributes to kill each other, like it mattered how beautiful they were... what does beauty have to do with brains? or were they trying to breed (ie. sponsor) a 'type'? .... maybe i'm stretching my imagination, but I just didn't get that whole 'pageantry' feel to the book... "

I think the author was trying to get at a developing sense of people wanting to appear a certain way. The "more real" people in the districts are those who value family, love, respect, honor... all those things. The people in the capital seem to have no sense of dignity - it's all about a false social image. A "people will like me because I'm following the trends and go to all the fancy parties" sort of thing. I teach part time at a high school and am seeing the developing trend of people putting on false appearances just to impress others. Intelligence, kind actions, devotion to friends and family, and earned success matter less to a significant portion of the population.

Katniss responded to the pageantry with revulsion. She didn't want to do it and couldn't understand why it entertained people so much when others were living such hard lives in the districts. Along with the connections to reality TV, I think the issue of importance of what's on the outside and not on the inside was addressed in The Hunger Games.