Dreamspinner Press discussion

Meet the Author > Meet Andrew Grey

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dreamspinner (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Andrew Grey joins us Saturday from 1-6 pm EST to discuss his latest release, his upcoming plans, to answer your questions and more!

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Good afternoon everyone. I'm Andrew Grey and I'll be here for the afternoon. I have been writing for about 5 years and have written a number of stories. I'll be sharing excerpts of my books and answering any questions you might have honestly and with as much humor as possible. So stay tuned, I'll be aharing an excerpt of my latest novel Artistic Pursuits shortly. But if you have a favorite, please let me know and I'll be happy to post an excerpt for you or share some of the story behind the story.

Andrew

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew wrote: "Good afternoon everyone. ..."

Hi Andrew! Am I doing this right? Never done this over here.
Diana

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments You certainly are Diana!!!! I'm glad you stopped by.

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Hey! I made it. I didn't get lost. LOL I'm trying to figure out where I went wrong on this stupid storyline. *sigh*

Distract me... So I have valid procastination excuses. :D

message 6: by J.P. (new)

J.P. Bowie | 1 comments Hi Andrew, sorry I can't stay long - my partner is in hospital after a triple bypass so he's getting all my attention for the next few weeks - just wanted to wish you well for a successful chat! Cheers, JP

message 7: by L.Giselle (new)

L.Giselle (lindsaymichelle) | 9 comments So are the Tiffany windows actual existing windows in one of the Milwaukee buildings, or are they conjoured up?

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana, you have the right place and didn't get lost. Are you going to be at AAD this year?

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Jp wrote: "Hi Andrew, sorry I can't stay long - my partner is in hospital after a triple bypass so he's getting all my attention for the next few weeks - just wanted to wish you well for a successful chat! Ch..."

Thanks JP. I'm glad you stopped by and I hope your partner feels better.

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Lindsay wrote: "So are the Tiffany windows actual existing windows in one of the Milwaukee buildings, or are they conjoured up?"

Lindsay, the windows do actually exist as does the music school, although I changed the name slightly. It's surprising but there are a number of buildings in Milwaukee with Tiffany windows, including a church.

message 11: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew wrote: "Diana, you have the right place and didn't get lost. Are you going to be at AAD this year?"

I will be. :) Kat and I are driving in from San Antonio. Should be there before the festivities start Wednesday night. That's the plan anyway. LOL

message 12: by L.Giselle (new)

L.Giselle (lindsaymichelle) | 9 comments Lindsay wrote: "So are the Tiffany windows actual existing windows in one of the Milwaukee buildings, or are they conjured up?"

I had to ask because I was enjoying the Chagall windows at AIC last month and thought of what a great inspiration they were in the last book of the series.

message 13: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "So are the Tiffany windows actual existing windows in one of the Milwaukee buildings, or are they conjoured up?"

Lindsay, the windows do actually exist as does the music school, al..."

Definitely a cool idea to use them, for the story like that. I know I've seen pictures of the dogwood tree window you mentioned, or similar ones.

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew, I caught it on FB. Something about ideas for future books or series. What's on the drawing board?

message 15: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Diana, you have the right place and didn't get lost. Are you going to be at AAD this year?"

I will be. :) Kat and I are driving in from San Antonio. Should be there before the fest..."

Excellent. I'll be flying in.

message 16: by L.Giselle (last edited Feb 18, 2012 11:03AM) (new)

L.Giselle (lindsaymichelle) | 9 comments Andrew wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "So are the Tiffany windows actual existing windows in one of the Milwaukee buildings, or are they conjoured up?"

Lindsay, the windows do actually exist as does the music school, al..."

The entire Midwest was big on Tiffany and the Arts & Crafts/Art Nouveau movement in particular. We have many here in west Michigan, along with a lot of Frank Lloyd Wright glass and architecture. It really helped American tastes and influenced many of our own artists when so many artists fled Europe during and after WWI and WWII. Chicago and Detroit especially benefited from the influx. My hubby and I plan to take the ferry across to Milwaukee this summer, I'll have to look for the school/windows! I digress..enough art geek stuff! (-;

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Lindsay wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "So are the Tiffany windows actual existing windows in one of the Milwaukee buildings, or are they conjured up?"

I had to ask because I was enjoying the Chagall windows at AIC last ..."

That does sound like a great story idea. I used the Chagall windows at the Chicago Art Institute in Artistic Appeal. He did spectacular work.

message 18: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "So are the Tiffany windows actual existing windows in one of the Milwaukee buildings, or are they conjoured up?"

Lindsay, the windows do actually exist as does the m..."

Thanks Diana

message 19: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew wrote: "Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Diana, you have the right place and didn't get lost. Are you going to be at AAD this year?"

I will be. :) Kat and I are driving in from San Antonio. Should be there b..."

If you need anything, just holler. I havne't seen a long list yet of who's going. I do know MLR isn't going as a pub, but I'm sure there will be a lot of the usual culprits. LOL

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana wrote: "Andrew, I caught it on FB. Something about ideas for future books or series. What's on the drawing board?"

I have a three novella series with Firemen coming up. A Helping of Love released next month and Legal Tender, the follow up to Artistic Pursuits releases in April.

I'm currently working on A Slice of Love, the fourth in the Taste of Love series. It takes place in a bakery.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Diana, you have the right place and didn't get lost. Are you going to be at AAD this year?"

I will be. :) Kat and I are driving in from San Antonio. Sh..."

I'm going as one of DSP's features authors. It shoudl be great fun. I'm really looking forward to it. I have never been to New Orleans before.

message 22: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew wrote:

I have a three novella series with Firemen coming up. A Helping of Love re..."

Legal Tender. Who is that one about? And damn man... Now I have to wait again.
LOL

And Firemen too? You're killing me!

message 23: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew wrote: "Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote:

I will be. :) Kat and I are driving in from S..."

My extent of NOLA is plane changes. Doesn't count for much. :)

I'm really looking forward to it all. My dad used to go to cons there and bring back masks.

message 24: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Lindsay wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "So are the Tiffany windows actual existing windows in one of the Milwaukee buildings, or are they conjoured up?"

Lindsay, the windows do actually exist as does the m..."

Not at all. Look up on the internet for the Milwaukee Conservatory of Music. Also while you're there, St. Paul's Episcopal has the Tiffany's.

message 25: by L.Giselle (new)

L.Giselle (lindsaymichelle) | 9 comments Sooo....what' happens after pizza delivery hmm? Begging for an excerpt, if I download the whole book now I'll never get my work done! Something steamy I can read out loud to my hubby! lol

message 26: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote:

I have a three novella series with Firemen coming up. A Helping of Love re..."

Legal Tender. Who is that one about? And damn man... Now I have to wait again.
LOL

And Firemen too? ..."

Legal Tender is about a character finding a 1933 Gold Double Eagle coin in his grandfather's possessions. Those coins aren't supposed ot exist, so they have to fight the government for them. Very dramatic

message 27: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote:

I will be. :) Kat and I are driving in from S..."

My extent of NOLA is plane changes. Doesn't count for much. :)

I'm really looking forward to it all..."

I think it will be great fun!!!!

message 28: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments CanNOT wait for Slice of Love. Those are some awesome stories. I think my favorite so far is still the first, Taste of Love.

I've just realized you're like Lays. Can't have just one favorite. LOL *bad Di*

message 29: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Wow! Nice!

message 30: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Here's an excerpt of Artistic Pursuits.

Frank forced himself to watch the video and keep his mind off the man sitting next to him. This infatuation was ridiculous. Yes, Leslie was attractive, and yes, he seemed to press all Frank’s buttons from a physical perspective, but Frank had already had enough of the type of relationship where he relied strictly on how someone looked. He’d learned that lesson big-time already, and didn’t really want to remember the details. Watching the video, he fast-forwarded through the actual performance and looked over the people behind the person doing the speaking, but didn’t see anything out of the ordinary, and no one did something as obvious as trying to hide their face. Marking that portion of the video, Frank packed up all the videos, making sure to segregate the ones with pictures of the crowd before standing up. “Come on, Les, let’s go on up to bed.”
“Leslie, my name’s Leslie,” he corrected haughtily, and Frank stopped himself from rolling his eyes.
“Okay, Les, let’s go.” Frank wasn’t going to rise to the bait, but he couldn’t resist the temptation to push it a little, either, and he saw Leslie roll his eyes, but he didn’t correct him a second time. Instead, he stood up, stretching and yawning again as Frank threw away the remains of dinner and began turning out the lights before heading up the stairs.
Upstairs, Frank let Leslie use the bathroom first, waiting until he heard the door open and footsteps pad across the small hallway before opening his door. In the bathroom, it looked as though a toiletries bomb had gone off. The towels Leslie had used had been thrown on the floor, and his things sat everywhere around the sink. “What—you think I’m the maid who’s supposed to clean up after you?” Frank muttered, and he began picking things up, shoving Leslie’s things into his kit and placing it on the shelf over the sink. He picked up the towels and hung them up before getting cleaned up himself and heading back to his room, muttering under his breath.
As he stepped across the hall, he saw Leslie’s door open and a startled expression from his guest. “Oh, I was about to shower before bed.” Frank saw Leslie look toward the bathroom and color. “Sorry about the mess. I forgot some things, and I didn’t realize you were using the same bathroom.” Leslie seemed genuinely contrite, and Frank felt his anger melt away, replaced by the thrill of seeing Leslie wearing nothing but a towel.
“No problem. Do you need me to get you up in the morning?”
“If you wouldn’t mind,” Leslie replied. “Just knock me up when you get up.” Leslie walked into the bathroom and closed the door as Frank gaped after him, wondering if he’d heard him right. Figuring it must be a British saying, Frank walked into his bedroom, shaking his head, and closed the door. Pulling back the covers, he dropped the towel and turned off the light before climbing into bed.
Feeling dead tired, Frank figured he’d go right to sleep, but he heard the water running and knew what Leslie was doing. Frank’s eyes closed, and in his mind he saw Leslie standing in the hallway not two feet from him, wearing nothing but a towel. The thing that had surprised Frank was how pale Leslie’s skin was, and yet in the few glances he’d seen, Frank couldn’t see a blemish on the man’s alabaster skin. And the way his towel had clung to Leslie’s small hips…. Frank clamped his eyes closed as if that would somehow make the images go away. He was not going to lust after a man he couldn’t have, or shouldn’t touch, no matter what. Frank tried to will himself to sleep, but that didn’t work, not when certain parts of his anatomy definitely had other ideas. Rolling over, Frank closed his eyes and did his best to ignore the images of Leslie and go to sleep. He had many things he needed to get done tomorrow, and he needed to be awake and on top of his game, but he was not going to be able to do that if he spent the entire night thinking about Leslie—handsome, frustrating, probably straight Leslie.

message 31: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana wrote: "CanNOT wait for Slice of Love. Those are some awesome stories. I think my favorite so far is still the first, Taste of Love.

I've just realized you're like Lays. Can't have just one favorite. LOL..."

LOL Wait till you read The Good Fight. I finsihed writing it a month ago. I think its some of my best. It takes place in South Dakota.

message 32: by Susinok (new)

Susinok I loved Artistic Persuits! I really enjoyed all three of the Artistic series, and look forward to more.

I'm reading your Pumped novellas right now. Then I'll be about caught up with your backlist.

message 33: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Legal Tender is about a character finding a 1933 Gold Double Eagle coin in his grandfather's possessions. Those coins aren't supposed ot exist, so they have to fight the government for them. Very dramatic

Does this flow from Frank and Les's story, or branch from Brian's?

message 34: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Lindsay wrote: "Sooo....what' happens after pizza delivery hmm? Begging for an excerpt, if I download the whole book now I'll never get my work done! Something steamy I can read out loud to my hubby! lol"

I just posted on efor you. Hope you like it.

message 35: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew wrote: "Diana wrote: "CanNOT wait for Slice of Love. Those are some awesome stories. I think my favorite so far is still the first, Taste of Love.

I've just realized you're like Lays. Can't have just one..."

Dangle the carrot, Andrew... *glares* I will see you in NOLA. :P *stinker*

message 36: by L.Giselle (new)

L.Giselle (lindsaymichelle) | 9 comments Diana wrote: "CanNOT wait for Slice of Love. Those are some awesome stories. I think my favorite so far is still the first, Taste of Love.

I've just realized you're like Lays. Can't have just one favorite. LOL..."

That's a perfect description Diana! I'm glad to be caught up for the moment, hubby wished Andrew was a less prolific writer because the whole household gets neglected when I pick up a book!

message 37: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Susinok wrote: "I loved Artistic Persuits! I really enjoyed all three of the Artistic series, and look forward to more.

I'm reading your Pumped novellas right now. Then I'll be about caught up with your backlist."

I'm so glad you liked the story. The Art Series has a special meaning for me because of my love of art and making sure that justice is done.

message 38: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Lindsay wrote: "Diana wrote: "

Tell me about it. His books WILL keep me up from bed. And a clean house? What's that? LOL

message 39: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana wrote: "Legal Tender is about a character finding a 1933 Gold Double Eagle coin in his grandfather's possessions. Those coins aren't supposed ot exist, so they have to fight the government for them. Very d..."

The mian character is a childhood friend of Dieter's.

message 40: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments The Art Series has a special meaning for me because of my love of art and making sure that justice is done.

You can tell Andrew. There's always something more when the subject is important to the author. It comes through clearly in the Artistic series.

message 41: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana wrote: "The Art Series has a special meaning for me because of my love of art and making sure that justice is done.

You can tell Andrew. There's always something more when the subject is important to the..."

Thanks Diana. Just wait for The Good Fight. I got downright fired up with that one.

message 42: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew wrote: Thanks Diana. Just wait for The Good Fight. I got downright fired up with that one. "

Sounds awesome!

message 43: by L.Giselle (new)

L.Giselle (lindsaymichelle) | 9 comments Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote: Thanks Diana. Just wait for The Good Fight. I got downright fired up with that one. "

Sounds awesome!"

Diana wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "Diana wrote: "

Tell me about it. His books WILL keep me up from bed. And a clean house? What's that? LOL"

He's such a tease Diana!

message 44: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Lindsay wrote: "Diana wrote: "Andrew wrote: Thanks Diana. Just wait for The Good Fight. I got downright fired up with that one. "

Sounds awesome!"

Diana wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "Diana wrote: "

Tell me about it. ..."

I try, I really try. Waggles tushy.

message 45: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew wrote: I try, I really try. Waggles tushy. "

ROFL!!!!

message 46: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Do you have a blurb for The Good Fight?

message 47: by L.Giselle (new)

L.Giselle (lindsaymichelle) | 9 comments Thanks for the excerpt...O.K. so maybe I can download the book now and only allow myself to read a chapter between drawing sessions. Can I ration it? Hmmm..Critique on Monday, what if I tell my prof it's Andrew Grey's fault I didn't get my work done? I'm sure he'll understand. lol

message 48: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Diana wrote: "Do you have a blurb for The Good Fight?"

Not yet. But I'll give you an excerpt.It's totally unedited, so you have to forgive my terrible typing.

The doorbell rang with me next appointment and I answered it. Another young man stood on the stoop and I took him, and later the next young man, through the same interview process. I didn’t get the same encouraging signals from them, but I gave them the problems. One of them gave up after fifteen minutes, and I thanked him for coming. He looked disappointed, but I thanked him anyway. The other interviewee admitted defeat just before the last interviewee arrived. I noticed that Bryce seemed lost in his computer, typing away as I escorted the third applicant outside. After shaking hands, I said goodbye and was about to close the front door when I saw a man striding up my walk toward the door. As he got closer, I felt my throat go dry and I had to remind myself that this was a job interview and not a pickup at a Castro gay bar.
“I’m John Black Raven,” he said with a smile, and we shook hands.
“Jerry Lincoln, I’m pleased to meet you.” The heat from his hand was startling, and I had to tear my gaze away from John’s deep, dark, almost black eyes. “Come in and we’ll go into the dining room to talk.” I motioned him inside, and John peered into the living room as we passed. I saw Bryce look up from his work, and he smiled and nodded to John, who did the same back before continuing on. “I take it you and Bryce know each other.”
“Yes. We’ve had many classes together,” John answered before pulling out a chair. He passed me his résumé, and I scanned it.
“Your grades are good, and you’ve had plenty of experience.” It looked as though John had worked at least two jobs for years. Many of them appeared menial and looked like amazingly hard, physical work. “None in software development,” I commented. He was also older than the others, nearly twenty-seven.
“No. I worked hard to pay for school, and this is the first interview I’ve had.” His eyes shone with intensity and determination, and I did my best not to look at John’s shining black hair that was pulled into a pony tail, or his sun-kissed skin and full lips. This man was here for a job, and I needed to keep myself under control. “But I always work hard, and computers seem to speak to me.”
I was intrigued. “How?”
“I seem to have a mind for them. My teachers often offered extra credit for solving tough problems, and I always saw the answers right away,” John answered in a measured, rather soft-spoken tone that sounded almost musical. “I don’t have much real-world experience because until I was able to come here to school, there were no opportunities.” John sat back in the chair, indecision in his eyes, and I thought he wasn’t going to elaborate. “I grew up on the reservation and there are very few chances there.” I’d heard rumors and stories, but I’d largely thought those were tales born out of narrow-minded stereotypes. “I left to try to make a better life,” John added and then grew quiet. Of the four interviews, this one was definitely the hardest. Some things were apparent though. John was a hard worker, and judging from his grades, that had transferred to his school work.
“What sort of things would you like to know?” I asked him, and John asked the usual things about pay and benefits, which I answered the same as the others. I showed him my current workspace and explained about the work area that was being developed.

message 49: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Grey (andrewgrey) | 156 comments Lindsay wrote: "Thanks for the excerpt...O.K. so maybe I can download the book now and only allow myself to read a chapter between drawing sessions. Can I ration it? Hmmm..Critique on Monday, what if I tell my pro..."

Of couse he will. Besides, good things are to be savored.

message 50: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianacastilleja) | 26 comments Andrew wrote: "Diana wrote: "Do you have a blurb for The Good Fight?"

Not yet. But I'll give you an excerpt...."

Intriguing. Thank you!

« previous 1