Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay question

Why did Gale leave Katniss? Why did Gale even leave?
Emily Emily Feb 17, 2012 04:01PM
I cannot believe that Gale left Katniss. I mean, he left without a goodbye!!!! Not even a, "Bye Katniss" or anything! But I DO understand that maybe the reason why he didn't say bye was because he thought that she was going to freak out, and trying to prevent him from leaving. but the other question that nags me is, WHY did he leave?

Yes, I totally agree with that! I never thought that Gale was very likeable, and I never thought that Collins wrote him that nicely.

I just think that Katniss loved her sister too much to ever been with someone who might have been mixed up in Prim's death. Then there is also the fact that after Peeta came back with his memory gone, I think that Katniss really started to realized how much she actually loved him and couldn't live without him. Gale, however, just seemed to float further away from Katniss and become more and more violent and angry about everything.

Dianna (last edited Feb 19, 2012 10:47AM ) Feb 19, 2012 10:03AM   0 votes
Their final engagement:
------------------------------------------------------
We stand there, face-to-face, not meeting each other’s eyes. “You didn’t come see me in the hospital.”
He doesn’t answer, so finally I just say it. “Was it your bomb?”
“I don’t know. Neither does Beetee,” he says. “Does it matter? You’ll always be thinking about it.”
He waits for me to deny it; I want to deny it, but it’s true. Even now I can see the flash that ignites her, feel the heat of the flames. And I will never be able to separate that moment from Gale. My silence is my answer. “That was the one thing I had going for me. Taking care of your family,” he says. “Shoot straight, okay?” He touches my cheek and leaves. I want to call him back and tell him that I was wrong. That I’ll figure out a way to make peace with this. To remember the circumstances under which he created the bomb.
Take into account my own inexcusable crimes. Dig up the truth about who dropped the parachutes. Prove it wasn’t the rebels. Forgive him. But since I can’t, ’ll just have to deal with the pain.
------------------------------------------------------

So as to answer the question, I think Gale left because he knew Katniss will never accept the fact that he had the role in creating the bomb which killed Primrose. That he had the fire in him that operated the same way as President Snow, burning down innocent people in District 2. That eventually, although not directly, also burn down innocent kids surrounding Snow's Mansion along with paramedics in the rescue. Gale had the rage, and Katniss saw before her how deadly it became.
We have Katniss stated it again in "That what I need to survive is not Gale’s fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself." Gale understood this, as the only person who really knew Katniss. He was always able to 'read' her thought. And although it must be so painful for him, he accepted the situation, he admitted that he had a personality that is unexcusable for her, and he left. For her own sake

Nea Barabea Um, no no :P The last part of Mockingjay - where the remains of the winners decided if they should have the last simbolic Hunger Games with the relati ...more
Feb 27, 2012 07:05AM · flag
U 25x33
Angela Katniss agreed to have the symbolic Hunger Games with the condition that she will be the one to kill Snow is because she knew Coin would be there in S ...more
Nov 04, 2017 07:01PM · flag

I honestly felt that they were on two separate paths from the very beginning. Gale was spoiling for revolution and Katniss wanted peace. Her experiences as a tribute just exaggerated her thoughts and feelings. As Susie quoted above his possible involvement in Primrose's death ended any possibility of them being friends. That last conversation was their goodbye.

because...... he wanted to

I think Gale was like Katniss' mother, couldn't return because of everything that had happened. I don't really know if that was the case, seeing that he didn't really have any friends, but maybe it just made him really mad. Or having been whipped, maybe it brought back terrible memories. I believe that when he was working with Beetee, he found what he loved to do, and was good at, so he stuck with it.

I cried when he left... I didn't understand why he would leave her. Maybe she would have been able to forgive him for everything that they had been through.

I kind of thought that Gale just gave up on Katniss. I mean, she was already going kind of crazy when Peeta had been taken by the Capitol, then when he was returned hijacked she went even more nuts, and I think that indicated to Gale that she really did love Peeta, which she did even though she didn't know exactly how. Anyway, then after Prim she was more or less completely insane, and she just didn't make any effort so what point was there in staying for him? I think Gale was moving on but Katniss was stuck in the past. Plus, Katniss wasn't interested in a romantic relationship with anyone then, not Gale or Peeta, and that was what Gale wanted. I thought it made sense for Gale to move on and leave Katniss behind. But that's just my take on it and everyone interprets books differently, thats why they're so special :)