Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Just for Fun > Can you buy just one?

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 17, 2012 03:54PM) (new)

I went to the bookstore today to buy a book in the series I'm reading. Left the store with five books. I can eat one Lays potato chip but I cant buy just one book at the book store. What about you? Can you buy just one?

message 2: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) No, I can't. Nor can I go into a bookstore or on a book website and just "look" because "look" soon turns to buy. I always find the one I want, get it but then look at the shelves and think...ooohhh that looks good I'll get that too.

My bank account hates the bookstore lol.

message 3: by Deb (new)

Deb Went to the bookstore with a list of 8 books, came home with 8 books (showing great restraint!!)--but only 2 were on my list!

message 4: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments I hold off buying books for so long that when I do buy it's usually 20 or so books at once. I only buy maybe two or three times a year, guess that's why I kind of go crazy.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Yeah, I can easily come out of a store with just one book.

message 6: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 151 comments I can just buy one book, the problem is every time I go to B&N I usually buy a book. I am probably in there at least once a week.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Helps when your pockets are empty and your bookshelves are full! lol

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
I kind of suprise myself. Nowadays, I very rarely walk out of a book store with more than I went in to get. Used book sales at places like the public library it is a bit more difficult though, since it is so much easier to spend 25 cents here or a dollar there for a book than it is to spend about 25 dollars for something like a new hardcover.

message 9: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Tammy wrote: "I went to the bookstore today to buy a book in the series I'm reading. Left the store with five books. I can eat one Lays potato chip but I cant buy just one book at the book store. What about you?..."

Are you serious?? I can stop eating junk food, and the dreaded lays; but no way can I buy just one book! If I go to goodwill and hardbacks are $1.39 and Softcovers are 99cents; then there is no way. I can easily go in goodwill and come out with 10 wonderful books... i can't. There's gotta be an app for that.

message 10: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 130 comments I can but sometimes the sales rack just kinda calls to me and I fail.

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Sure I can. I just choose not to. Over and over.

message 12: by Batsap (new)

Batsap | 117 comments It's so much easier to give in to buying more books when I've already picked up one I know I'm going to buy. It seems to open the floodgates, haha. Besides, the book would feel lonely if I brought it home on its own... :)
But that's only in used bookstores where it's cheaper. If I buy a full price book, it will only be one. Um, unless there is a 3 for 2 offer on or something like that.

message 13: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments I agree with Ellie. I can but choose not to.

message 14: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments There are too many books hollering at me to take them home. I probably could buy just one, but rarely choose to buy just one. Hate leaving a book alone!

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary Chambers (marycha) | 49 comments Yes, I often buy a book one at a time.

message 16: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Mary wrote: "Yes, I often buy a book one at a time."

wow, you are so strong. how do you do it!? hehehe, i can't and refuse to even kid myself. :O

message 17: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 353 comments Proved to myself this morning that I can not. Got a wish list notification for 1 book on booksfreeswap and ended up getting 15! I wasn't expecting these people to have such great books, plus the more you buy the cheaper shipping is. The average cost for each books is either 1.36 or 1.23, not too shabby.

message 18: by A (new)

A (avocadoshake) | 10 comments I often buy at least two books at a time. I feel lonely for the book if it's the only one I buy in the store, so I always get another one to go with it :)

message 19: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) No I can't, that's why I have over 150 books on my TBR list. =)

message 20: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) I always go into Barnes and Noble with intentions of buying a specific book or 2. I ALWAYS leave with 5 or 6.
I'm hopeless. My bookshelves are at full capacity.

message 21: by Vikki (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 65 comments Sometimes it's VERY difficult but I can do it, and have done it before...

message 22: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah Choat (beckachoat) Occasionally, when there hasn't been enough time for anything new that I want to come in to my local Half Price Books since the last time I was there...

message 23: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Vikki wrote: "Sometimes it's VERY difficult but I can do it, and have done it before..."

Same here; yesterday I was able to restaint myself at the bookstore and bought only one book (for a very good price too!). A few years ago it was pretty bad, I'd be at the bookstore often and come out with like 2 - 4 books xD

message 24: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I'm happiest with a big stack of unread books. I get lots of them from half.com, and save money on shipping bt getting a bunch from one seller. I rarely buy just one.

message 25: by RB (last edited May 17, 2012 11:58PM) (new)

RB (rblindberg) I can, but it doesn't happen very often. I can, however, come out completely empty handed if nothing strickes my fancy. But if I find one book, then usually there is at least another one that is calling for me too.

message 26: by Mirvan. (new)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 12 comments I can buy just one because usually I do not have enough money to buy all.

message 27: by Paulfozz (new)

Paulfozz My main local new bookshops tend to have either a bad selection, too high a price or battered books so I find it far more likely that I'll walk out with nothing when I visit those. One store had two branches in our town but they closed the large store with the good selection that I sometimes bought from and left the small store with the rubbish selection of books... I think I've bought from there maybe two or three times at most in the years it's been here... and once was just to pick up a package I ordered online and had delivered to store. I don't really feel the desire to pay high prices in chain stores if I can buy cheaper online, I'd far rather do that in small independent bookshops and even then I baulk at paying the high prices that books often sell at these days.

There's something about corporate bookshop culture that sits badly with me - show me a chain bookshop with fancy layout and lighting and a branded coffee shop and I'll rarely buy. Show me a little dusty shop with an old guy or lady running it and I'll be hunting for something to buy.

I suffer much more with second-hand bookshops, I get a far stronger urge to buy in little shops with lots of interesting old books and I try to not visit them too often as they can prove to be hard to resist!

message 28: by Lára (new)

Lára  | 174 comments Rarely. If I order just one book, I might just pick it up and leave the store. If I enter the store just to "browse", I´ll surely leave with more than two books

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura | 55 comments Sometimes. Usually if I go into a bookshop and find only one book that I want at that moment (or usually because they don't have a book I want at the moment).

message 30: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments Lately if I order online I usually get three or four books. I don't think I've ever bought just one book.

message 31: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments I am not a one book buyer.

message 32: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 58 comments oh no! I NEVER EVER walk out of the bookshop with only 1 book! even when I order on Amazon...it's always multiple books! In the bookshops...I simply get sucked in by all the pretty covers! and once I'm in..I'm toast! I start picking up books left and right! I'll check out the synopsis...I do have to restrain myself...otherwise I'd probably walk out with the entire shop!

message 33: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 58 comments can you say "may have have one of everything please!"

message 34: by K (new)

K | 286 comments Yesterday... I ONLY BOUGHT ONE BOOK! OMG!!!

message 35: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 353 comments Kiera wrote: "Yesterday... I ONLY BOUGHT ONE BOOK! OMG!!!"

Are you feeling okay?

message 36: by Catherine (last edited Sep 27, 2013 07:36PM) (new)

Catherine | 58 comments Kiera wrote: "Yesterday... I ONLY BOUGHT ONE BOOK! OMG!!!"

Should we have you admitted for immediate emergency care? :) lol

message 37: by ErinBeth (new)

ErinBeth | 3 comments you can't buy only one book on Amazon. You need to buy more so that you can spend $25 and get the free shipping. So, you need to buy more books in order to save money! (or so I like to tell myself) ha ha

message 38: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments I can go into a new book bookstore and just pick up one book but if its a used sale where they are so cheap I usually always talk myself into a stack of them!

message 39: by Zouagie (new)

Zouagie | 41 comments Karen M wrote: "I hold off buying books for so long that when I do buy it's usually 20 or so books at once. I only buy maybe two or three times a year, guess that's why I kind of go crazy."

agree with you. its so painful when I can't get it and then wait it off.

Vale (BooksAndTea58) (booksandtea58) | 8 comments Usually If I go to a normal bookshop I leave with 1 books or 2 maximum BUT the "problems" come if the store is a used book store or something like that.. I get crazy on how cheap and good the books are (most of the t
imes there are books that have been read one or two times and they look brand new :)) too bad ;)

message 41: by Susanne (new)

Susanne Allen (goodreadscomsusanne_allen) | 11 comments I buy most books at Amazon now, and it's hard to buy just one because their marketing is so clever they suggest other books on the same or related subjects, and I end up buying about 2 books and spending about $40. When I was going to bookstores like Borders that are now closed, I could easily spend $80 on one trip, about 4 books. Yesterday I went to B&N looking for one book and came out with 2 (the second one was a sale book) and spent $20, not much for 2 books. I'm hopeless - I just can't stick to one.