Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay question

Why did Gale leave Katniss?
Emily Emily Feb 17, 2012 03:49PM
I can't believe that Gale just LEFT Katniss like that!!!! He didn't even say goodbye or anything. The last thing that he told her was "Shoot straight." At President Coin's execution.

He left because they both knew that she would never truly forgive him for developing that bomb. Nothing would ever be the same between them. He left because he knew Katniss well enough to know that she wanted him to leave.

Dianna (last edited Feb 19, 2012 10:44AM ) Feb 19, 2012 10:23AM   5 votes
Their final engagement:
------------------------------------------------------
We stand there, face-to-face, not meeting each other’s eyes. “You didn’t come see me in the hospital.”
He doesn’t answer, so finally I just say it. “Was it your bomb?”
“I don’t know. Neither does Beetee,” he says. “Does it matter? You’ll always be thinking about it.”
He waits for me to deny it; I want to deny it, but it’s true. Even now I can see the flash that ignites her, feel the heat of the flames. And I will never be able to separate that moment from Gale. My silence is my answer. “That was the one thing I had going for me. Taking care of your family,” he says. “Shoot straight, okay?” He touches my cheek and leaves. I want to call him back and tell him that I was wrong. That I’ll figure out a way to make peace with this. To remember the circumstances under which he created the bomb.
Take into account my own inexcusable crimes. Dig up the truth about who dropped the parachutes. Prove it wasn’t the rebels. Forgive him. But since I can’t, ’ll just have to deal with the pain.
------------------------------------------------------

So as to answer the question, I think Gale left because he knew Katniss will never accept the fact that he had the role in creating the bomb which killed Primrose. That he had the fire in him that operated the same way as President Snow, burning down innocent people in District 2. That eventually, although not directly, also burn down innocent kids surrounding Snow's Mansion.
We have Katniss stated it again in "That what I need to survive is not Gale’s fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself." Gale understood this, as the only person who really knew Katniss. He was always able to 'read' her thought. And although it must be so painful for him, he accepted the situation, he admitted that he had a personality that is unexcusable for her, and he left. For her own sake

Because he knew he didn't stand a chance against Peeta.

In all honesty, I finished Mockingjay yesterday and it's all I've been able to think about. I'm still upset over Prim's death, I feel like it was unnecessary and just caused drama. I think her dying was a horrible ending. In a way I also feel like she needed to die in order for Katniss to move on and not always be worrying about Prim. Katniss I think is a person who thinks of what's best for her and Prim. Gale did his best to fulfill Katniss' needs by protecting her family and feeding them at a time when she couldn't and he had to watch her kiss another boy on TV. I think Gale was hurt, but he knew Katniss would choose what was best for her. Gale would've forgiven Katniss no matter what, but she herself said in the first book that she was not a forgiving person (about her own mother.) Gale did all he could in my opinion. Even if he did make the bomb, he didn't drop it so it's not his fault at all. She could've contacted him and talked to him too, but she never did. I wanted Katniss to end up with Gale, I loved Peeta but I believe she truly love Gale. She didn't want to hurt him. That's how it all began, she wouldn't love Peeta because of Gale. Gale had to run off because it got to the point where he couldn't look to protect the one thing Katniss cared most about anymore because she led him to believe he killed her.... I really hated the ending I'm still crying over it, it really bothered me. I don't understand why Peeta and Katniss end up in their own world secluded from everyone else. Too many loved ones lost in the book. Peeta's whole family, Prim, Finnick, Boggs, etc. I think I would've been more okay with Katniss dying than Prim.

Look, my sister and I are total opposites and we fight a lot (less so the older we get). We are actually very close, despite our bickering, but not in the same way Katniss and Prim are. Even though we may fight a lot, if you hurt my sister, it's on! I will take you out! If you have even a small part in killing her? I would never, in a million years, be able to forgive that, even if you are my best friend, no matter how hard I tried. It's not that she doesn't want to forgive Gale. It's that she is incapable of it and both she and Gale knows it. He knew that him being gone would cause her less pain than seeing Prim die all over again every time she looked at him.

The same reason her own mother didn't come to see her or come back to take care of her child. Blame. Katniss blamed Gale for the death of Prim. She would never be able to look at him again without thinking of his part in her death. Gale was the best friend he could have been to her at that moment. He knew her so perfectly to understand this, he knew his chance with her had passed. He had lost her the moment she stepped in the arena, he just realize it until that moment. He said it himself, the one thing he had going for him was protecting her family and now that he had a hand in the death of the one person that Katniss truly loved it was over for them.

I think because of the guilt over Prim's death and not standing a chance against Peeta like Yazi said.
:P

How do you post a question on goodreads?

Gale left because Katniss was never going to be able to look at him or even think about him without feeling the hurt of losing Prim. She knew there was a 50% chance that, in a roundabout way, he had caused Prim's death, and she was never going to forget that. It was easier for everyone if he left.

Haiya (last edited Oct 15, 2013 12:48PM ) Oct 15, 2013 12:47PM   0 votes
She is being a bit selfish and hasn't really shown an ounce of guilt for those life lost in her sacrifice for example im still sad over Finnicks death and when Gale has an incident like this where we arent even sure it was 100% him. If the tables were turned and Katniss was the one who had a hand in killing one of Gale's siblings. Gale would find a way to comfort and take the blame of her because like Gale she would probably feel guilty. He would forgive her why wont she forgive him.

I loved Gale (and Peeta), but I was angry at him for leaving. But I thought about it, and it was for the best. I like to think that they still saw eachother after that, ya know, still friends :)

The whole reason she wound up in the Hunger Games and through the course her life took throughout the books was out of trying to save Prim. Then, ironically, Gale was probably the one to take her life in the end after all of that anyway. Sure, it wasn't on purpose ... but it happened. He accidentally took away who Katniss loved most.

I just can't believe he didn't say goodbye. i mean he was her best friend, he says he loved her so he should not have just left!!!

gale forgave katniss when she acted in love with peeta so why can't katniss forgive gale.

Gale knew, he KNEW he didn't stand a chance to Peeta. He confessed that to Peeta more than once. He said, she will choose whoever she can't survive without. Gale said he should have volunteered and Peeta said that she would have never forgave him because there would be no one to protect her family. Gale in a sense did protect Prim when Katniss went of to the Games. How much, we'll never know, but Katniss owes him that much.

Gale was more of a friend to Katniss, a brother, not a lover. They were too much alike.

He left because like Katniss' mother, he couldn't go back. I would want to forget everything too. I mean, what if you had killed your best friends sister on accident? Sure, he invented the bomb, but it wasn't on his command that it got sent. He didn't have control of that.

K Mar 09, 2013 10:42AM   0 votes
I think that Gale just felt guilty. I think that he knew he might have just blew Prim up. That was the only reason Katniss was in the Hunger Games in the first place. She went through all of that just for her sister to die in the end anyway. I think that he knew it was over, they just couldn't be together after that even if he did it on accident. They knew what happened and they wouldn't be able to forget about Prim and move on if her and Gale were together.

Who cares she doesn't deserve either of them

Because he worked too closely on the bombs with Coin and she could never trust him again. That part of the story made complete sense to me. Prim was the most important thing to Katniss and Gale did things, things that Katniss wouldn't have approved of anyways, that directly led to her death. He didn't mean to kill Prim with his bomb but there is no returning from that.

Keep in mind, Katniss was only 12-years old when her friendship started with Gale. So, who knows what love is at age 12? The friendship grew out them caring for their families, hunting together and their anger toward the Capitol and she loved Gale but I don't think she was ever in-love with Gale. I think that's why she was so confused when she met Peeta and his love for her was so much deeper. Gale's actions of love were always somehow attached to his hatred for the Capitol. Peeta's showed his love for her in deeper ways which any woman who matures can recognize a love that will be lifelong and that's what Katniss finally understood.

In Gale and Katniss's final meeting where Gale gives her the arrow to be used to execute Snow, Katniss asks herself what would have happened if 'the girl hadn't been reaped.'

She wonders, 'if she would have fallen in love with the boy, married him even'.

This seems to suggest that while Katniss loved Gale, she was never 'in love' with him. It was something that may have happened if things had continued as they were before she was in the Hunger Games.

She goes on to say, 'would they have been happy, out there in the wild, or would the dark, twisted sadness between them have grown up even without the Capitol's help?'

This suggests that Katniss had doubts about their compatibility 'even without the Capitol's help'.

There wasn't a choice. Gale was never really in the running. I think she felt an obligation to at least try, but it always Peeta. Gale would have realised this at last when he witnessed the re-connection between Katniss and a recovering Peeta. He admits to Peeta that Peeta had 'won her over' and that she had never kissed him the way she had Peeta.

Without the bomb it was over - it was the excuse rather than the reason. It simply severed what remained of the friendship.

It was a long time coming I think. I mean all throughout Mockingjay, their friendship was slowly breaking and they were constantly ignoring each other. For example, Gale thinking something was going on between Katniss and Finnick led him to put a wall between him and Katniss for at least a day while she was going through some major PTSD and the hijacked Peeta just coming back. Prim's death was just the final straw, but even if it was accidental, Katniss, as she said didn't need Gale's fire which was used (intentionally or not) to kill Prim. I think we all know that Peeta could've never made a weapon like that, he's just too pure, and that's what Katniss needs and I think that might be why Gale left.

that's just not right! I mean come on they were like bff's for what did she say? forever or somthing insane like that?! HOW COULD YOU GALE! I USED TO BE ON YOU'RE SIDE! BUT NOW I THINK I'LL JUST LEAVE YOU ALL ALONE. Soooooooooo not nice of him

It just seemed that their friendship wasn't strong enough to endure his possible involvement in the death of her sister. I think maybe the end of the book could have taken a different turn in the future, where eventually they were in each other's lives in some compacity.

It was because the author couldn't leave us hanging. Katness had to make a decision between Gale and Peta- and good for her that she cleared that up! It wasn't perfect- but it was an ending.

I think the author needed something horrible enough to happen that that there is survivors/soilers guilt and this terrible memory so bad the two of them couldn't be together. I think it was a way for her to force the decision while trying not to vilify either boy or alienate any of the Peta or Gale fans.

Because Gale knew that Katniss was in love with Peeta. If he stayed he had to deal with her being with Peeta and her thinking he might have played a part in Prim's death.

i just hate the fact that katniss and gale didnt end up together i never realy liked peeta but ugh is so heart braking when he jux doesnt ever talk to katniss anymore. i really thought he was going to show up when she was at the woods:"(

My personal theory is that while Katniss and Peeta were in the arena in the first book, Gale was growing closer to Prim (not in a lover way, but in a family way). So when he blew Prim up (or at least his design did) he not only felt guilty but he felt sad everytime he looks at Katniss, since she probably reminds her of Prim, plus just her sad face would remind him what he did. He left because of his unbearable guilt and mourning. Just my theory.

Parnil (last edited Mar 09, 2013 11:52PM ) Mar 09, 2013 05:31AM   0 votes
In the end Katniss says that she needed peeta and not gale,Peeta was the sweet dandelion she needed,gale was the violent one,his eyes are often shown as speaking of death.so in the end ,when peace finaly ensues, katniss needs the calm Peeta,not the aggressive Gale.

HE is a good friend I think. He had developed the bomb that killed her sister, and by leaving the way he did, he was saying he understood that she would never fully be able to get past that. A good friend understands stuff like that, even when its REALLY hard. Also, by leaving he was essentially saying that it was ok for her to love and stay with Peeta.

I don't think he ever really loved her. that and he's a jerk. nuff said.

He knew her well enough to know she needed him to leave. Katniss spent almost her whole life sustaining her family, so did Gale. And that's why Gale of all people knew that she needed some good. Her revelation is so on point: "That what I need to survive is not Gale's fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that."

This drives me crazy too, but it had to happen. They can't be stuck in a perpetual love triangle for the rest of their lives. Eventually Katniss would've had to choose. At least this way Gale could go on his terms and go toward something he also believes in. I have come to terms with it, finally. lol

Because he accidentally blew up Prim, the only thing important to Katniss, and it was probably to much for him to see her everyday, knowing how much pain he caused her, and because he loved her. but i still dont think he should have left like that.

deleted member (last edited Feb 17, 2012 10:52PM ) Feb 17, 2012 03:57PM   -1 votes
Because he's an idiot who couldn't stand leaving the girl he "loved". If he had really loved her, he would have stayed. *shrug*
edit: I do agree on one thing though. If he hadn't have worked on those bombs, I don't think he would have left... I think it would have turned out differently.

i always kind of thought katniss would end up with gale sense hes always been there from the beginning I like Peeta to though so its a win win lol

because...... he wanted to

Gale left because he had to. He felt guilt and knew that Katniss would carry that around with her forever. That doesn't mean they didn't love each other, it means fate was obviously pretty cruel to all of them through the entire trilogy. She didn't choose Peeta over Gale. Fate chose Peeta. Coin and Snow made sure they destroyed everyone's lives and scared them permanently. In the end, the villians won anyway. They took everyone except Haymitch and Peeta from Katniss.

U 25x33
Project Mockingjay I disagree. Katniss said it would've happened anyway (her falling for Peeta) and even if Katniss and Gale had gotten together, they probably wouldn't ...more
Oct 04, 2020 01:16PM · flag

I know! He isn't that good of a friend if he just left her there. That just makes me angry.

U 25x33
Project Mockingjay The fact that he even was making a bomb at like what 19 proves he isn't good for Katniss. Say Prim wasn't in the bombing? Kids still died and Gale pro ...more
Oct 04, 2020 01:18PM · flag

Addee (last edited Mar 29, 2013 04:20AM ) Mar 29, 2013 04:18AM   -2 votes
Cause he knew she had no loyalty, & no will to make up her own mind, & Gale knew he could do better.