The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 10.3 - Run or Ride?

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 17, 2012 09:23PM) (new)

Sandy | 15690 comments Mod
10.3. Run or Ride? In the Boston area, Patriots Day features a re-enactment of Paul Revere’s Ride. It’s also the day of the Boston Marathon. Read a book featuring horses or with a horse on the cover or the word “horse” in the title, or a book about running, with a picture of a runner on the cover or a book set in Boston.
REQUIRED: If using one of the cover options, post a link to the cover of the book. If not using a cover or title option, explain how your book fits the task.

message 3: by Sandy (last edited Feb 28, 2012 05:01PM) (new)

message 4: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Can it be a pegasus on the cover or horse only?

message 5: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will this work for runner on the cover? Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2) by Shannon Delany

message 6: by Sandy (new)

JennRenee wrote: "Can it be a pegasus on the cover or horse only?"

no, only a horse - no mythical creatures

message 7: by Sandy (new)

JennRenee wrote: "will this work for runner on the cover?Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2) by Shannon Delany"

sorry, no - that picture doesn't show anything that indicates that the person is a runner

message 8: by Ann A (last edited Feb 18, 2012 10:12PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 881 comments Thought I'd pass along what I found for this task:

The books I own with a horse on the cover:

Caravans by James A. Michener and Blessings by Belva Plain (you can't see them very well, but there are two small horses grazing on the left)

There is a listopia list of Boston books on GoodReads, and here's another one I found:

http://www.amazon.com/Novels-Set-in-B...

I won't be using the running option, so don't have any help to offer there.

I take it back - I do have one book on running on my TBR shelf: Ultramarathon Man Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karnazes

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1495 comments Will True Betrayals work? It's set primarily at a horse farm and centers around preparations for the Triple Crown?

message 10: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments If you haven't read The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater , it's fantastic and is based on the myth of the water horses. Stellar YA fantasy - extremely well written by Maggie Stiefvater.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sue T wrote: "Will True Betrayals work? It's set primarily at a horse farm and centers around preparations for the Triple Crown?"

sounds good.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 938 comments For Boston books, does it have to be Boston proper or would metro Boston be OK too? (For example, a lot of the books I'm seeing on various lists take place at Harvard or MIT, which are actually across the river in Cambridge.)
FWIW, I highly recommend The Given Day and other books by Dennis Lehane, almost all set in Boston.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Amanda wrote: "Can we use plurals for the title option (horses)?"

yes

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Chris wrote: "For Boston books, does it have to be Boston proper or would metro Boston be OK too? (For example, a lot of the books I'm seeing on various lists take place at Harvard or MIT, which are actually acr..."

Metro Boston is fine - I lived in Newton for 14 years, but always say I lived in "Boston." I pretty much consider anywhere on the T to be Boston.

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 938 comments Great! I'm originally from Quincy.

message 16: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) | 114 comments Will The Cider House Rules work for books set in Boston?

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Pollyanna wrote: "Will The Cider House Rules work for books set in Boston?"

No, even with a stretch, Maine won't work for metro Boston. It's been a number of years since I read it, but I don't recall that a significant amount (more than 50%) of the action took place in the Boston area.

message 18: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 191 comments Mystic River by Dennis Lehane would this book work? I believe the setting of this book takes place in boston.

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Mariya wrote: "Mystic River by Dennis Lehane would this book work? I believe the setting of this book takes place in boston."

I haven't read it, but I'm pretty sure it's set in the metro Boston area - assuming we're both correct, that would certainly work.

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 938 comments Sandy wrote: "Mariya wrote: "Mystic River by Dennis Lehane would this book work? I believe the setting of this book takes place in boston."

I haven't read it, but I'm pretty sure it's set in the metro Boston..."

It is. He may have given it another name but I think most everyone assumed it was Charlestown, anyway, definitely a section of Boston.

message 21: by Sandy (new)

Chris wrote: "It is. He may have given it another name but I think most everyone assumed it was Charlestown, anyway, definitely a section of Boston..."

Thanks, Chris!

message 22: by April (new)

April Would Shutter Island work? I think the island is off the coast of Boston.

message 23: by Sandy (new)

April wrote: "Would Shutter Island work? I think the island is off the coast of Boston."

If it is, it would be fine. I haven't read it, so I don't know if it's an island near Boston.

message 24: by Cindy AL (new)

Cindy AL (cangelmd) | 664 comments Would the Valdemar books work? Some have horse pictures on the cover like this one Intrigues (Valdemar Collegium Chronicles, #2) by Mercedes Lackey

and they all involve creatures that look just like horses.

message 25: by Sandy (new)

Cindy AL wrote: "Would the Valdemar books work? Some have horse pictures on the cover like this one Intrigues (Valdemar Collegium Chronicles, #2) by Mercedes Lackey

and they all involve creatures that look just like horses."

yes. The companions are horses in physical shape, so those work.

message 26: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments I assume this works for the running option: The Running Man by Stephen King

message 27: by Sandy (new)

Kathryn CA wrote: "I assume this works for the running option: The Running Man by Stephen King"

sure does.

message 28: by JennRenee (new)

message 29: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 938 comments BTW, for anyone who might be interested, Marcelo in the Real World is set in Boston. I'm currently reading it to finish up the Winter SRC, but I didn't see it on any of the Boston books lists.

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7543 comments if anyone is looking to start/continue a series - Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli/Isles books are set in Boston

message 31: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 597 comments For those of you who like YA Contemporary, Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park is set in Boston.

message 32: by Sandy (new)

JennRenee wrote: "will The Running Dreamwork"

yes

message 33: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments I found this list of Boston in Fiction

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_i...

message 34: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 822 comments Dee wrote: "if anyone is looking to start/continue a series - Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli/Isles books are set in Boston"

Except te one I have - Ice Cold - which takes place in Wyoming!!

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments You can also use Goodreads's "setting" field to find Boston books:

Books Set in Boston

I think that this data largely comes from librarians updating it, so no guarantees of 100% accuracy.

message 36: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 218 comments Heather Webber's "Lucy Valentine" series is in Boston - these are cozy mysteries that feature a psychic matchmaker -
Absolutely, Positively
Deeply, Desperately
Truly, Madly

Losing Charlotte by Heather Clay could work for a horse. It's on my TBR pile so can't vouch for it.

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Suzanne wrote: "Heather Webber's "Lucy Valentine" series is in Boston - these are cozy mysteries that feature a psychic matchmaker -
Absolutely, Positively
Deeply, Desperately
[book..."

Losing Charlotte would be fine - that sure looks to me like a horse on the cover!

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 1049 comments Does this look enough like running to count? Eve (Eve, #1) by Anna Carey

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Kathryn CA wrote: "Does this look enough like running to count? Eve (Eve, #1) by Anna Carey"

Sorr, no, when I got a larger image, there's nothing that really shows she's running - she could just as well be standing there with the wind blowing her hair.

message 40: by Rosemary (last edited Mar 18, 2012 04:32PM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments How about this one for running: Untying the Knot by Linda Gillard

and The Sisters Brothers for 'featuring horses', horses play an important part, especially Eli's horse Tub?

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7543 comments lol - sorry bout that BJ rose

BJ Rose wrote: "Dee wrote: "if anyone is looking to start/continue a series - Tess Gerritsen's Rizzoli/Isles books are set in Boston"

Except te one I have - Ice Cold - which takes place in Wyoming!!"

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Rosemary wrote: "How about this one for running: Untying the Knot by Linda Gillard

and The Sisters Brothers for 'featuring horses', horses play an important part, especially Eli's horse Tub?"

she looks like she's running, and if horses play an important part in the book, it works.

message 43: by Sarah (last edited Mar 19, 2012 09:57AM) (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments Will Black Beauty (Puffin Classics) by Anna Sewell work?

message 44: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh Creates (kayleigh_creates) | 315 comments Would a book about a polo player work?

message 45: by Sandy (new)

Sarah wrote: "Will Black Beauty (Puffin Classics) by Anna Sewell work?"

that sure looks like a horse to me! Not to mention that the horse is certainly a key figure in the book.

message 46: by Sandy (new)

Keltie Lee wrote: "Would a book about a polo player work?"

If the cover shows a horse, or if horses are really involved in the plot of the book. The mere fact that he is a polo player would not be enough to make the horses important in the book.

message 47: by Sandy (new)

April wrote: "Would Shutter Island work? I think the island is off the coast of Boston."

A late update to my response - I read this while on my vacation, and it definitely would count for "set in Boston," since there are several references indicating that the island is right in the harbour.