The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 10.2 "The Shot Heard Round the World"

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 18, 2012 10:13AM) (new)

Sandy | 16193 comments Mod
10.2. ”The Shot Heard Round the World” Patriots Day (commemorating the Battle of Lexington and Concord) is April 16 - read a book set during the Revolutionary War period (1775-1783) or a fiction or nonfiction book about the Revolutionary War, the significant characters of the war, or events leading up to the war. If you read a fiction book set during the 1775-1783 period, the book need not be about the Revolutionary War, and it does not have to be set in the U.S.
REQUIRED: if it is not otherwise clear,specify when your book takes place.

message 3: by Sandy (last edited Feb 18, 2012 08:53AM) (new)

Won't work:
White Doves At Morning

message 4: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Any title suggestions or listopias I can get idea from?

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Just wanted to check this one
White Doves At Morning

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Any title suggestions or listopias I can get idea from?"

here's an interesting website
Historical Novels Keep in mind that not all 18th century work will fit - you'll need to look at the titles individually.

I'm bookmarking this one for future use, too, since it has lists of all sorts of historical fiction.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sam wrote: "Just wanted to check this one
White Doves At Morning"

Sorry, no - the description says that it's set during the Civil War/Reconstruction.

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Sandy wrote: "Sam wrote: "Just wanted to check this one
White Doves At Morning"

Sorry, no - the description says that it's set during the Civil War/Reconstruction."

Ok thanks. How about this one The Fort or Martha Peake: A Novel of the Revolution

message 9: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments How about The Ninth Daughter?

It's set just before the actual date of the revolution (1773) but it seems very much involved with the revolutionary era and players, John & Abigail Adams, the Sons of Liberty, etc. But it is fiction so I'm not sure it will count.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

KarenF wrote: "How about The Ninth Daughter?

It's set just before the actual date of the revolution (1773) but it seems very much involved with the revolutionary era and players, John & Abigail ..."

I'll take it - I think I'll amend the task to include fiction that's involving the revolutionary war and its important players.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sam wrote: "How about this one The Fort or Martha Peake: A Novel of the Revolution .."

those work

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Would either Sarah Bishop or Johnny Tremain work?

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam | 175 comments Sandy wrote: "Sam wrote: "How about this one The Fort or Martha Peake: A Novel of the Revolution .."

those work"

Thanks Sandy.

message 14: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 274 comments Sandy wrote: "KarenF wrote: "How about The Ninth Daughter?

I'll take it - I think I'll amend the task to include fiction that's involving the revolutionary war and its important players. "

Great! I've had my eye on that series for a while. Thanks Sandy!

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I found Jack Absolute

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1508 comments I'm looking at The Schoolmaster's Daughter.

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sue T wrote: "I'm looking at The Schoolmaster's Daughter."

sounds interesting.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments I'm not sure what I'm going to use, but I can offer up Celia Garth as one I've read that would fit the task.

message 19: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Has anyone read either of these? Chains or The Pox Party?

message 20: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Randi wrote: "Has anyone read either of these? Chains or The Pox Party?"

Both were REALLY good.

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 884 comments Does An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon work even though it has some set in Scotland with time travel lots of it seems to be set in US at revolutionary war time

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Cindy wrote: "Does An Echo in the Bone (Outlander, #7) by Diana Gabaldon work even though it has some set in Scotland with time travel lots of it seems to be set in US at revolutionary war time"

yes

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Ms Anderson wrote: "Would either Sarah Bishop or Johnny Tremain work?"

both work

message 24: by Randi (new)

Randi (mrsrandimoulton) | 256 comments Ms Anderson wrote: "Randi wrote: "Has anyone read either of these? Chains or The Pox Party?"

Both were REALLY good."

Great...now to choose between them! ;)

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (moragepona) | 124 comments Will Sovay work?
It's set in 1783, but in England.

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Sarah wrote: "Will Sovay work?
It's set in 1783, but in England."

Yes, the task specifically allows any book set 1775-1783.

message 27: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Galloway | 716 comments Can I use The Fiery Cross? It is set 1771/1772 in North Carolina and refers to many of the issues and skirmishes leading up to the revolution.

message 28: by Sandy (new)

Cathy wrote: "Can I use The Fiery Cross? It is set 1771/1772 in North Carolina and refers to many of the issues and skirmishes leading up to the revolution."

If its focus is the events leading up to the Revolution, then it will work.

message 29: by mstan (new)

mstan | 876 comments Would The Sherwood Ring work? Although it is not clear in the synopsis, if you scroll down to the reviews, you'll see that a lot of the book is about the protagonist interacting with the ghosts of her ancestors (whose stories center around the Revolutionary War). I've already read it, so I can say that more than 70% of the book actually comprises such flashbacks.

message 30: by Sandy (new)

mstan wrote: "Would The Sherwood Ring work? Although it is not clear in the synopsis, if you scroll down to the reviews, you'll see that a lot of the book is about the protagonist interacting with ..."

If that much of the book is set during the Revolutionary War, then it works for the task.

message 31: by Donna Jo (last edited Apr 20, 2012 07:21AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments May I read A Marked Man by Barbara Hamilton. While this book is set in 1774, it has many of the people and situations in Revolutionary War Boston--Abigail and John Adams, Paul Revere, Sam Adams, Henry Knox--who are involved in a fictional crime.
Don't agonize. If it's not a good match, I'll move on.

message 32: by Sandy (new)

Donna Jo wrote: "May I read A Marked Man by Barbara Hamilton. While this book is set in 1774, it has many of the people and situations in Revolutionary War Boston--Abigail and John Adams, Paul Revere, Sam Adams, H..."

since it sounds as if this involves the "significant characters" of the Revolution, I think it's fine.

message 33: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sandy wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "May I read A Marked Man by Barbara Hamilton. While this book is set in 1774, it has many of the people and situations in Revolutionary War Boston--Abigail and John Adams, Paul Rev..."

Thanks.

message 34: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Would The Lost Journal by Chris Blewitt work? It is a novel that features a treasure hunt for a secret document signed by George Washington to end the war, with flashbacks to 1778. The main characters also visit historical sites such as Independence hall, Betsy Ross's house, Valley Forge and Mount Vernon in their search for clues. It is kind of a "National Treasure" kind of book. It was already approved for length.

message 35: by Sandy (new)

Deanna wrote: "Would The Lost Journal by Chris Blewitt work? It is a novel that features a treasure hunt for a secret document signed by George Washington to end the war, with flashbacks to 1778. The main charact..."

If more than half the action takes place in the revolutionary war period, it works. It sounds as if the most of the action takes place in modern times - in that case it wouldn't work.

message 36: by Deanna (new)

Deanna (whodunitrdr) | 191 comments Sandy wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Would The Lost Journal by Chris Blewitt work? It is a novel that features a treasure hunt for a secret document signed by George Washington to end the war, with flashbacks to 1778. T..."

Oh well, at least it was a good book and it fits for a couple of other challenges. I did find another book that will fit, Silver Storm, a romance set in 1781 aboard a pirate ship during the war that sounds good.

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Deanna wrote: "Oh well, at least it was a good book and it fits for a couple of other challenges. I did find another book that will fit, Silver Storm, a romance set in 1781 aboard a pirate ship during the war that sounds good. "

I'm glad it all works out!