The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2012: FIRE > 10.1 - Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 18, 2012 09:07PM) (new)

Sandy | 15683 comments Mod
10.1. Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss! March 2 is the birthday of Dr. Suess. Dr. Seuss and Theo LeSieg are pen names for Theodor Seuss Geisel and LeSieg is Geisel spelled backwards: read a book with a word in the title that can make another word spelled backwards.

The word must be listed in the official scrabble word list. http://www.scrabble.com/ This list may help:
Backwards Words
REQUIRED: specify the word that you use. If the backwards word is not a common word, include a link to the scrabble list entry

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 4: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments There wasn't anything specifically said about this, but could you use "on" and which makes "no" backwards.

message 5: by Sandy (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "There wasn't anything specifically said about this, but could you use "on" and which makes "no" backwards."

yes, any word that makes a different word backwards.

message 6: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 832 comments All right! Thanks! A two letter word just seemed too easy.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

★Meghan★ wrote: "All right! Thanks! A two letter word just seemed too easy."

I thought about that, but this IS a 10 point task - I would have done it differently had it been a higher point task.

message 8: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) How common does the word have to be? Steel (Heart of Steel) backwards is "leets" which IS in the dictionary (some kind of old British court) but I've never used it nor will I. Does this count or should it be a word the moderator doesn't have to verify? :-)

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Mrs.soule wrote: "How common does the word have to be? Steel (Heart of Steel) backwards is "leets" which IS in the dictionary (some kind of old British court) but I've never used it nor will I. Does..."

We'll piggy back on Chris MD's winter task, and use the official scrabble list as the decider. http://www.scrabble.com/ If it's in there, you can use it. If it's not common, please include a link to the scrabble entry for it.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (rgage) | 192 comments will desserts/stressed work? when I went to the scrabble website it gave stress and then listed variations-like stressed, stresses, etc. after it.

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Robin wrote: "will desserts/stressed work? when I went to the scrabble website it gave stress and then listed variations-like stressed, stresses, etc. after it."

Certainly - that's a word. (I use it quite a lot myself, LOL!)

message 12: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments Is the subtitle ok and in this case the designation Part 2 with part making trap?

Angels in America, Part 2: Perestroika

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Karen GHHS wrote: "Is the subtitle ok and in this case the designation Part 2 with part making trap?

Angels in America, Part 2: Perestroika"

The "part" works. However, if this is only part of Angels in America, it wouldn't work under the general rules, requiring that an entire work be read. I realize that calling it "part 2" doesn't really answer the question, which is whether this was part of the "regular" publication of the play or whether it's a new addition.

message 14: by Karen Michele (last edited Mar 05, 2012 06:44PM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments Sandy wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Is the subtitle ok and in this case the designation Part 2 with part making trap?

Angels in America, Part 2: Perestroika"

The "part" works. However, if this i..."

Thanks, Sandy,
The two parts to this play were published separately in different volumes. In fact, part one won the Pulitzer for drama in 1993 as a separate work. I just finished that volume and I'm looking forward to part two.

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Karen GHHS wrote: "The two parts to this play were published separately in different volumes. In fact, part one won the Pulitzer for drama in 1993 as a separate work..."

Sounds good then!

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Sarah wrote: "Will Harry, A History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon work for Boy/Yob?"

yes, it's listed in the scrabble word list.