Home Base discussion

Be A Stalker > States/Countries/Continents

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by rosebee (last edited Feb 17, 2012 03:29PM) (new)

rosebee (rose33) So here we can randomly chat about the places we live or places we'd like to live or what ever else.

you don't have to share where you live if you don't want too :P

message 2: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) Marlene!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 3: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) You were calling me? ;)

message 4: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) YESH. What is it like where you live? Are there one way traffic lanes? Really narrow roads? What side of road do you drive on?? Are there a lot of really tall buildings? What colors are there? What kind of school are there? Do they teach English as a foreign language? Do they teach Spanish? Do you have an accent?

There are many MANY more lol. But I don't want to like-make you cry or something. :P

message 5: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) No, you just made me laugh. Mmh, that could take a little while. Wait a moment please!

message 6: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) Okay :D I kinda' started ranting lol. I felt like one of those little girls who talk a million miles an hour with a bunch of questions with out giving someone time to answer them lol :P

message 7: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) As I literally live in the middle of nowhere, there are sometimes very narrow roads, but that´s the exception. Normally they´re so broad that two cars can pass each other easily. But that´s just my area, so don´t worry. In Berlin or other big cities you can drice on a one way street with four traffic lanes. On the highway sometimes more, but four is what you see often, even more often only three. And you can drive as fast as you want to. That´s just amazing! We´re driving on the right side of the street.
Tall buildings are only in the biggest cities. Frankfurt, Berlin... but not real skyscrapers. That´s one of the reasons I want to visit America. ;)
Colours??? If I don´t have completely different eyes, they shouöd be the same you see.
You have to learn English at school, starting in elementary school. It gets more complicated in highschool, though. At my school you could chose between French and Latin and you could learn Spanish if you wanted to. At other schools you can learn Greek or Chinese, Japanese, etc.
You go to pre school with three years, until you´re six. Then you switch to elementary school, where you learn to read, write, math, biology... all that stuff. Until fourth grade. When you have completed it you have four choices: You can go to a Gymnasium, which is what I did. It´s where you make your Abitur, the final exam after 12 years of school. After that you can go to college. Or you go to the "Realschule", which enables you to get instruction in a job, but you won´t be able to study. The same goes for the "Hauptschule", the third option, where kids go, who are not that good at school. Then there is a school, where all those groups come together. They are divided into high-level and low-level courses. The best ones can go to another school after you graduated in 10th grade. Then you can learn for two years at another school and study after that too. If you´re good enough, you can switch from the all-students school or the "Realschule" to Gymnasium, though it might be that you have to redo 10th grade.
I´m in my graduation year now and my final exams start in about two month.
Concerning the accent... I guess I have one, but I can´t figure out what it´s like on my own. I only ever talked to canadian relatives, who said my English was amazing, but as I never visited the UK or the USA... I pronounce the word more in American English, because it doesn´t sound so funny. I probably copied it from movies and the likes. But I don´t think I have an accent that stupid sounding. My uncle is another topic altogether, but as I can read and write English almost as good as German, I don´t think speaking it will be a problem (I even dream in English sometimes. Now THAT´S strange... there are even moments, when I only have an english word in mind and have to translate it into German to use it in the conversation. Sometimes I had to look it up in a dictionry. Can you imagine?! *shame*
If you want to know, you´d have to call, but I don´t think that would be a good idea right now. Even my mother went to bed half an hour ago, as it´s after 1am now...
Okay, any more questions? maybe one at a time, or two? ;)

message 8: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) Okay, happy? :P

message 9: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) Mmh, I think I´d better go to bed too. I´m dead tired. Maybe we can talk tomorrow? Then you can ask me a lot of questions again; I don´t mind.

:D :D :D

And prepare for some questions yourself. Now that was a threat!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

If you want to hear about THE GOLDEN STATE (aka California), you may ask meeeee! Now, keep in mind I live in SoCal and I know almost nothing about NorCal.

message 11: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) Argh... do I stay awake for a little bit more?
Damn, you got me. So, instead of asking questions, you can tell me anything you like. Oh wait, one question: What´s the difference between SoCal and NorCal exactly?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Basically, NorCal is Northern California, and SoCal is Southern California. San Francisco, Sacramento, the Gold Rush area is in NorCal; Hollywood, Disneyland, tourist stuff is in SoCal. :) I'm very knowledgeable about Disneyland, if that's of any interest to you.

Um... well, I don't know what you'd like to know. Um, the weather is horribly hot, both summer and winter, here in SoCal we have bad winds, um, we're very much a tourist state, Hollywood actually isn't all that, um...

message 13: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) As I neither went to Hollywood, nor Disneyland, San Francisco or America in general... I wouldn´t go to Hollywood, BTW. San Francisco maybe. And I really never was in Disneyland, but I guess I can picture that.
At the moment I would love it hot. It was -20° celsius last week. *shiver*

message 14: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) Any touristic attractions you could recommend? Cities, whatever? Or just your favorite bookstore. ;)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, as far as bookstores, there are two main branches - Borders and Barnes & Noble. However, Borders went out of business in California, if not across the country, so there's just B&N. However, they have great books, and they sell Sparknotes there.

Um... I'd highly recommend Disneyland if you like amusement parks - I love it there, it's kind of like my second home of sorts. Oh, and the beach. Our beaches are fairly nice - not like Hawaii, mind you, those beaches are heavenly - but the water's kind of cold.

message 16: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) I´m totally for swimming, so consider me enchanted by that. :D
We´ve been to the "Europa-Park" recently. There´s the biggest roller coaster of Europe! 60 meters almost falling! It was simply amazing!

Umh, stupid questions again... on which side do you drive in America? I always forget. I know that it´s left side in London, but... I´m not quite sure anymore for the USA.

message 17: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) Okay so I live in Michigan...Five great lakes and Mackinac bridge and all that jazz. :D

And OHMYGOSH. Were gonna' have to talk on the phone or on TC sometime. :D I have a this thing about accents...where I just freak out. (In a good way) because I think its AMAZING. :)

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Right side of the road. :)

message 19: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) And interesting fact!!! The US is the only country who doesn't use the metric system...

We use Miles per Hour, Inches, Feet, and Yards...

Not Meters, kilometers and other stuff like that :P

message 20: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) Like I said, I don´t know what my accent will be like or if I´ve watched enough movies to let it almost disappear.
...what´s TC? I´m not good with those abbreviations...
Michigan... next to Wisconsin, near all those Lakes. That´s about what I know. sry

message 21: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) Its okay lol :D

message 22: by Marlene (last edited Feb 18, 2012 03:35AM) (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) No, that calmed me. xD

message 23: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) TC= Tinychat. Its a chat room that allows people to broadcast with microphones and webcams..and type stuff too. Its just like skype but less complicated ;)

message 24: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) I´m glad. I have Skype, but am sooo angry that I can´t delete my account, I swore to never use it again. I´m stubborn this way.

message 25: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) ?? How come?

message 26: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) What´d you mean?

message 27: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) Like why did you decide to ban yourself from skype?

message 28: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) When I my boyfriend dumped me. He had invited me to Skype, but we didn´t really use it. And when I found out that I really COULDN´T delete my account... well that´s not fair.
And I never really figured out how to use it... ^^

message 29: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) Okay, now I have to go. It´s 2am and I need sleep. Badly.
See you! :)

message 30: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) Nighters! And sorry for the skype story.

message 31: by rosebee (last edited Feb 17, 2012 08:00PM) (new)

rosebee (rose33) More Questions I had...Sorry lol. :P
-What do they teach you in school about the US?
We learnt about the Holocaust, Berlin wall, and Hitler and all that jazz :P
And I thought it was kind of funny they way your school system is. o.O In the US we are required to go school for 14 years. Pre-school, Kindergarten, then 1st-12th grade. But if you drop out of school you can get something called a GED. (which is sort of like a diploma)
And then we can go to college. (which I'm assuming you know what that it...if not its more school. :P )

-How old are you?
-What languages do you speak???
-When you have labels on things...like food and all that-what language are they written in??

P.S. Don't be afraid to let me know if I'm irritating you with all my questions lol. I'm just..curious :)

message 32: by E.J., Well, you hit me with a brick... (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) | 247 comments Mod
Wisconsin, U.S.A.

message 33: by Marlene (last edited Feb 25, 2012 03:40AM) (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) Okay, mor answers then. And you don´t need to apologize. When you´ve got a German to answer them, use the chance! ;)

- My 18th birthday was on the 16th January
- Languages: German (obviously), English (as obvious), Spanish, I can translate Latin, understand French (though not write or speak), a little bit of Japanese, as I´m currently trying to teach it myself. As I´ll have my final exams soon, Japanese might have to wait a wile
- labels: If they´re from the US or UK they´re English. If they´re from Germany, they´re in German. There is a trend, though. Many things start to be in English. Names of products, advertisement, words in our language... some people don´t like it at all and fear that "German will be replaced by English" someday, but I just think the language is developing. It´ll stay German, but as they didn´t invent words when these came up: "internet", "download", "post", "chatting"... speaking about computers sounds pretty similar in German and English. ;)

Okay, now to the other question: It´s a bit difficult to say what they taught us about US history, because I searched for things I was interested in myself. The others might not remember a bit about US history, if they weren´t interested, but that´s what we learned - and I think it´s much. After all we´re living in Germany! (And we had the Nazi-Deutschland history like five times in school. I think Germany dealt with the problems this maniac left well enough. There´s a memorial right next to the Reichstag, which makes the history somehow as important as the government!)
Okay, back on topic. American history. Comolbus, how he discovered America, the whole thing about the natives living there, the indipendence-story, roughly what happened after that, financial crisis, Great Depression and what happened in the 20th century. If you want me to describe it in more detail, I´ll do it, but that would take up my whole day. Or you could just get a hstory book. ;)
Topics in English that had to do with history: African-American Experience (namely, was our topic in the first semester), politics nowadays.
The history courses (in which I´m not at the moment) had US history last semster, but I guess they just repeated what we had learned so far.
Other things: The American Dream, we watched movies, New York, the States (though I can´t name all, but at least I know them when I hear the names - other than some from my grade. One girl actually tought Minnesota was an own country... but she also thinks Bucharest is a country, so I wouldn´t give her much credit), life in the cities, etc. We even had american economy some times, but I find this topic very boring in general. Economy... not for me, I´d say.

Well, we have kindergarten. You go there when you´re three until you´re six, but it´s not like school. You don´t learn anything; you just play with other children all the time. Learning starts in Elementary school (1th til 4th grade), though I thaught myself a few letters and numbers before I went to school - and after elementary school I went to the Gymnasium (5th to 12th grade). We had 13 years of school some years back, but they changed it. It was the worst they could do, because the kids had to catch up with what they had missed - a whole year! I´m in one of the first groups, who have to do 12 years and it was hell.

Hope I could help. :)
I´m going to be on this evening. You may ask me again then (this really improves my english writing skills!) xD

message 34: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) And hello there, EJ! :)

message 35: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) Yeah...EJ is from Wisconsin lol. Were border Buddies <3 :)

And yes that answered a lot of my questions!!!

And I knew some people in the US are still very racial about Black people-and they hate them. (Which is completely horrible.) But in Germany are types of Racism focused on black people? Or more towards Jews and stuff?

And I can't think of these two groups that are fighting in Europe...maybe Palestinian Arabs and some other religion/group.

message 36: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) OH! And What are your Laws about mirage? Like-How young, and the same-sex stuff?

message 37: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) I´d guess with the "how young" you mean from which age you can have a real relationship with somebody. Oh god, that´s complicated. Let´s see... I hope I can explain everything.
When one is under 14 and the other one is over 14, or one over 14 and the other over 16, you´re not allowed to sleep with each other. Kiss and stuff, but...well. From 16 on you can be with whoever you like - though it´s frowned upon if, say, a 40-year-old has a relationship with a 16-year-old. And you can marry when you´re 18. Or you´re 16 and your parents allow it.
As to the same-sex stuff: Homosexual people can be together. No problem at all. They just have the same restrictions concerning age as everyone else. They can marry and live together, but I don´t know if they´re allowed to adopt children. I think not, but it´s not a problem if one already had a child and it lives with them. Strange world, huh? I somehow don´t get the difference between the two things. That´s a law that needs changing! Some frown upon them, but they´re accepted.
I hope I got the questions right. ;)
...and what´s "mirage"? I just now it as a phenomenon you can see in deserts or where it´s really warm (when you can see pictures in the air), but I don´t think you´re referring to that, do you?

No, not on black people at all. In the area I am, there is almost no racism at all. Discrimination at school, but that´s the same everywhere and doesn´t have to do anything with race - or not only.
In the cities it´s a problem. Some people are against foreigners in general, but it´s more about turks than anyone else. I never heard of violence against jews, at least not any more than crimes that happen everywhere. If so, they had nothing to do with people being jews.
Recently there are more attacs on christian churchs, though. Vandalism and a few pastors were threatened.
...never heard of two religious groups fighting each other in Germany. Maybe it´s a smaller conflict I didn´t grasp, but when you´ve heard of it, it should be pretty big - or it´s a lie. Or I don´t know what you refer to. There´s a bit distrust to muslims, because of the whole terrorism-thing, but I think that´s where people are wrong. It´s just very little groups, who are radical - as with the foreigner-hating people. They´re too little to do real damage, but they´re there and we have to deal with them.
I just don´t understand it! We´re all human, so let us act like it! *sigh* some will never learn...

Oh, and if you mean me with "and stuff" you´re probably right. At least most of the kids from my school seemed to hate me for years. ;)

You know I envy you for living so close to each other? You could visit EJ if you want to, or he could visit you. I can´t see me flying to the USA from Germany, even though I really want to.
There are so many people from Goodreads I want to meet, but probably never will. That´s so sad. I never thought you could find friends via internet, but I´ve been proofed wrong. Luckily.
Do you two live near each other or just in neighbor states?

I´ll go off now; it´s 4am for me. I´m really going to bed late... but it´s weekend, so staying up late doesn´t bother me in the least. :D

message 38: by rosebee (last edited Feb 18, 2012 07:19PM) (new)

rosebee (rose33) marriage* Sorry :P..or I think that's how you spell it. I dunno. I'm bad at the spelling.

message 39: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) No me and Ej live probably about 3-5 hours away from each other. Were border buddies because our states border each on the map. And I can't really get up and go to Wisconsin :P I'm only fourteen..and I believe Ej to be 16? So its sort of hard. I haven't been able to meet anyone from GR yet. :(

message 40: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) Ah! Now that makes more sense - and unconsciously I answered it. xD
I never met a Goodreads-member either, but I´ve been here since October or so, so there wasn´t much chance anyway. I could meet someone from another group, as I´m going to London soon and she lives in that area. We´ll see.
EJ´s 17 - and 3-5 hours are nothing compared to a flight from Germany to the USA. I think it takes 8 hours minimum - and that´s only to New York!

message 41: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) Now good night for real! It´s 4:30! (OMG! At least I don´t have to work tomorrow...) ;)

message 42: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) :P lol. I forgot he had a birthday! Dang it. lol. I hope he doesn't read this :P

And yes I know haha:) I've never been on a plane though..
Good niigghhtt!

message 43: by E.J., Well, you hit me with a brick... (new)

E.J. (ejschoenborn) | 247 comments Mod
I read it Rose... *JUDGEMENT!*

message 44: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) Awww :P

message 45: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) You have to absolve her; at least you didn´t congratulate me on my birthday either. ;)

And I´ve never been on a plane before. Only a small two-passenger one. We were flying for half an hour and it was totally AMAZING! It was a present for my confirmation.

message 46: by rosebee (new)

rosebee (rose33) Actually I don't think EJ has the right to judge me--because I stayed up till Midnight his time to wish him a happy birthday...and he fell asleep. :P

message 47: by Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ (new)

Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ I live in Connecticut for those that don't know

message 48: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) :D :D :D
*slowly trying to breath again*

message 49: by Marlene (new)

Marlene (marlene1001) سارہ سادیا =D wrote: "I live in Connecticut for those that don't know"

I have to admit, every time someone of you mentions a state, I have to look on a map.
... okay, found it!

message 50: by Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ (new)

Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ Aww sorry.

« previous 1