The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

The Hot Rock (Dortmunder, #1)
This topic is about The Hot Rock
Favorite Authors/Books/Series > Donald Westlake

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Scott Phillips (scottsphillips) | 3 comments Hi, I joined the group a week or two ago and I've just been lurking till now -- but I haven't been able to find a thread on Donald Westlake, so I'm wondering if he's got any fans here.

Not a mystery writer in the strictest sense, but definitely crime. I've read a handful of his stuff and love it all so far. I also like his more hardboiled Parker series, under his Richard Stark pen name.

So how 'bout it, any Westlake fans on the board?

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven Harbin (stevenharbin) I'm a major fan of Westlake's. I love both his humorous stuff as well as his more hardcore stuff. I remember in one of Parker books a minor character named Harbin is killed in the first chapter for wearing a wire. I was so proud! ...that my name got into one of his books. Seriously, he's one of those authors that I miss in a major way the fact that we won't be getting any new stuff from him. I think my favorite Dortmunder book is Good Behavior in which the gang basically has to rescue a nun from the top of a heavily guarded high rise. Basically a modern re-telling of the "princess in the tower" story.

message 3: by Casey (new)

Casey | 11 comments Love all the Parker books (and the Grofield's) but I haven't tried any of his others...

Scott Phillips (scottsphillips) | 3 comments I haven't read Good Behavior, I'll have to grab a copy of that one. Casey, you should check out the Dortmunder books (and if you're a Firefly fan you might recognize that name from the pilot episode). I also really enjoyed Smoke and Help I Am Being Held Prisoner.

Darwyn Cooke is doing some great graphic novel adaptations of the Parker books, too. Worth checking out if you like the books.

message 5: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Spaulding I am looking forward to the Grofield reprints.

message 6: by Casey (new)

Casey | 11 comments Scott wrote: "I haven't read Good Behavior, I'll have to grab a copy of that one. Casey, you should check out the Dortmunder books (and if you're a Firefly fan you might recognize that name from the pilot episod..."

Thanks I'll give those a try. Already have the Parker graphic novels from Cooke, and can't wait for the next one this summer.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian January (brianjanuary) | 40 comments IMO, the Dortmunder books vary in quality. And I think the Grofields are very weak--he's much better as a supporting cast member in the Parker books, and even then he comes close to ruining them.

Scott Phillips (scottsphillips) | 3 comments I'll have to give a Grofield a shot -- I didn't even know those existed. I'm reading Baby, Would I Lie? right now, and even though it's a good read, I have to admit I'm not enjoying it as much as the other Westlakes I've read.

message 9: by B.V. (new)

B.V. | 5 comments Did you catch Patti Abbott's "Fridays 'Forgotten' Books" feature this week? It was all about Westlake in advance of the publication by Hard Case Crime of Westlake's lost novel next week. Here's the link:

http://pattinase.blogspot.com/2012/02...

Sharon Michael | 674 comments Scott wrote: "Hi, I joined the group a week or two ago and I've just been lurking till now -- but I haven't been able to find a thread on Donald Westlake, so I'm wondering if he's got any fans here."

I particuularly like his humorous books. The Hot Rock is one of my all-time favorite mysteries and Cops And Robbersis another.

message 11: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 7679 comments I read two of his stand-alones, The Ax and The Hook and loved them both.

message 12: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Whenever I think about Merch's Mom driving her bus around, as it slowly begins to fill up with "accomplices," I've gotta laugh. Here's a link to a good DW interview on YouTube, and there's more good stuff there too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=...