The Last Child (Johnny Merrimon, #1) The Last Child question

Worth reading?
Bonnie Bonnie Feb 17, 2012 02:32PM
I got a few chapters in and found it to be very slow. I've read fairly good reviews, so I guess I'm answering my own question, but so far it seems unrealistic and a little boring. Am I on the right track? Should I give up on this book?

I did not get through it, too boring and unrealistic.

Well, I disagree. I found it slow and not very well written. In fact, I've given up on this author after this book (and I did finish it.) I felt it was a waste of time. Too many other really godd books out there to read.

"Down River" was exceptional and I would rank it near the top of my list of favorite contemporary mysteries. Right up there with James Lee Burke's "Heaven's Prisoners" and Dennis Lehane's "Mystic River". "The Last Child" was a bit of a letdown. The plot was lurid, melodramatic, and more than a little unrealistic. The pacing was very slow at the beginning and, in all honesty, the writing just didn't impress as much as it did in the earlier book.

It's an easy enough read to get through and be entertained. However, I did not enjoy the writing, on the whole. I did not appreciate how the characters were so archetypal and their histories had to be told to me. I ended up skipping over a lot of that because I prefer a character to reveal to me the story, not the author narrating directly to me. Having said that, I was definitely interested in learning the twists so I read it to the end.

Worth reading? YES. It is definitely worth sticking with it. I found it very enjoyable.

It took me a little while to get into this book but I am so glad I read it. The writing, characters and plot were all excellent.

I listened to this book on audio with a great reader and really enjoyed it. I recommend this book and have listened to all his other books, also with great surprise endings. A really good story!

I loved this book - love mysteries where there's twists & turns. A young boy's twin sister is abducted 1 year ago & he goes on a search for her, spying on the town's registered sex offenders.His family is falling apart - Dad abandons them & mother becomes a drug addict who moves in with a no-goodnik who abuses her. Policeman who was assigned to his sister's case befriends the family & tries to keep them safe.

Barbara I agree, this book was very good...hated to put it down. Will be looking for more books by John Hart
Mar 30, 2013 11:30AM · flag

I love his writing; stick with it and I think you will too. I agree with Nancy, The Iron House, was not as mesmerizing as the first 3. But his story lines are really good and you will be pleased.

I agree. Don't give up. I think John Hart's books are better than Grisham's, even though I'm a big Grisham fan. Is this the only one of his books that you have read? When I read his first book, The King of Lies, I absolutely was floored when I got to the end of the book and had not correctly guessed the ending. I had not even considered that ending! My husband is almost always right about the ending, so I gave the book to him. He was also floored with the ending. I waited for his second book and was almost afraid to read it, because I was certain that I would be disappointed. It was every bit as good as the first. I felt the same about the third book. However, his last book, The Iron House, was entertaining to read, but I didn't feel it was as good as the first three. Continue reading this book.

Yes, very well written

I loved this book. Easy read, was a little slow at times but good story.

J Feb 11, 2013 02:21PM   0 votes
Bonnie wrote: "I got a few chapters in and found it to be very slow. I've read fairly good reviews, so I guess I'm answering my own question, but so far it seems unrealistic and a little boring. Am I on the righ..."

Bonnie wrote: "I got a few chapters in and found it to be very slow. I've read fairly good reviews, so I guess I'm answering my own question, but so far it seems unrealistic and a little boring. Am I on the righ..."

Don't give up... his books are all good! I really liked Iron House, the book has stayed with me for a long time and I often think of the characters. Stay with it!

His prose is superb and is an award winning author. But of course, all that doesn't matter if you don't like it. But I agree with the others, keep pressing on, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Tears of Min Brock by J.E. Lowder

It was a slow start but I fell in love with the characters and could not put it down. Afterwards, I bought two more by Hart and enjoyed them both. This book did remind me a little of The Client by Grisham.

I agree...a bit slow in the very beginning, but stick with it - you will not be disappointed!

Read it for a book club and everyone liked it. Have read all his books and only really disliked one - but not this one!

Loved it. IMO well written, and extremely suspensful.

One of my all time favorite authors.

Ditto the enjoyment comments. Great characters - interesting portrayal of the teenager. A thrilling read.

I love John Hart. This one takes a lil
Ttle more patience, but well worth the effort.

It's slow to start but worth it.

Totally and utterly. Stick with it. The characters will stick with you for life after you've reached the last page. Loved this book.

I would finish it because it's a good book towards the end. A very good mystery though once scene was very disturbing.

I liked it and it made read another by Hart that was better, Iron House. This is an author I will keep an eye out for any new books.

Definitely ... I also bought the other 3 Hart books and will buy a fourth if I hear of it!

If you like crime and mystery then definitely worth reading. I also found little slow in beginning but stuck with it was not disappointed at the end. And if you like this also try Iron House which is even better.

I agree with the others, I really enjoyed this book and how the story played out. I found the characters interesting, and Hart's writing great.

Yes, a bit slow at times. But it was warranted due to the multiple intertwined plots. I enjoyed this book immensely.

Amazing story! Read it and don't take other people's convoluted ideas of what makes a story good......John Hart is a great author! Read all of his books. His best is IRON HOUSE!

Michael I agree, not everyone shares the same taste. Personally I thought the book was highly overrated and terrible.
Feb 11, 2013 08:29PM · flag

Well, it is a little slow in the beginning but I looooooooooved it when I had finished. Some parts I found very excited and I couldn't put the book down. Others took me days to get through because they were dry. But I think it was worth it. You should not give up on it.

I really enjoyed this book as well. I have bought 2 others by John Hart to read too.