Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Series > Inkheart

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Eric (Youroddfriend) | 20 comments Has anyone here read Inkheart, by Cornealia Funke? Inkheart is the first book of the Ink Trilogy. I highly recomend it, and its sequel Inkspell.
The third book, Inkdeath, is still getting published here in America.

message 2: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Alexandra | 37 comments I read it recently, and I liked it. Haven't read the 2nd book yet, but I plan to.

message 3: by J-Lynn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 27 comments There is another discussion going on about this book on the Building a Sci Fi/Fantasy Library's group site http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...

message 4: by Eric (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Eric (Youroddfriend) | 20 comments I started that discussion too actually, lol. I just want other people to know about it. Its very original.

message 5: by K (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

K | 2 comments I bought this recently, on the recommendation here! I am going to take it overseas with me!

Is very fantasy-ish?

message 6: by J-Lynn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 27 comments Wow, went to see The Golden Compass and Inkheart's trailer played. The movie looks awesome and has a great cast.

message 7: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Alexandra | 37 comments J-Lynn,

When's the Inkheart movie due out? What did you think of The Golden Compass?

Kate, I don't consider Inkheart hard-core fantasy, although it certainly has fantasy elements and is a fantasy story. It's not a "Lord of the Rings"-type story, if that helps.

message 8: by J-Lynn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 27 comments Janis,
It didn't say when Inkheart was coming, but it looked like 2008. The Golden Compass was well done and well acted. I was worried the CGI animals would look fake, but they were well done. The ending was a little anticlimactic, but that is expected since it is a trilogy.

They also previewed The Spiderwick Chronicles which I think comes out soon. The books are so cute and the movie looks equally fun.

message 9: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Alexandra | 37 comments I've seen the trailer for The Spiderwick Chronicles and it looks good. That's the actually the reason I read the books - I like to read the book first before seeing a movie based on a book. I'll probably see The Golden Compass too, so it's good to hear what you thought of it.

message 10: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 41 comments Mod
I really enjoyed Inkheart too. It was very well written and the emotions of the characters where just right! What a unique story!

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen (Istoleahalo) IMDb says Inkheart is scheduled to be in theaters on March 19, 2008.

message 12: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra | 37 comments Thanks for the info Istoleahalo, I'll be looking forward to it :)

message 13: by Eric (new)

Eric (Youroddfriend) | 20 comments www.Inkheartmovie.com

you can watch the trailer for the movie there guys.

message 14: by Grace (new)

Grace | 16 comments I liked Inkheart a lot, it was a really cool story and a really cool idea. After I finished it, me and my friend talked about whether or not we thought there would be a sequel (this was a while ago obviously) and I was convinced there wouldn't be, that that was the end of the story and there was nothing left to tell, but she kept saying she thought that the author had left it open and that there would be another one. When I found out that there was another book, I was pretty excited (and surprised) and wanted to read it. But unfortunately I was some what disappointed. I just didn't like that story as much as the first one. Just like I don't like books that involve time travel - no matter how you do it you always end up with a problem - that's what it felt like with Inkspell, there was just a feeling that it didn't really click correctly. I'll still see the movie and read the last book, but I still think that Inkheart would have done better just standing alone.

Ah... yeah, so there's your rant from me :-)

Anyone read The Thief Lord? Another good book by Cornealia Funke, though I have a lot to say on that one too :-P

message 15: by Eric (new)

Eric (Youroddfriend) | 20 comments Yeah I read Thieflord. I liked it a lot. Dragonrider was pretty good too.

message 16: by Grace (new)

Grace | 16 comments I read Dragonrider. But I didn't like it as much as the thief lord or Inkheart. It wasn't as interesting or original as those two.

message 17: by Eric (new)

Eric (Youroddfriend) | 20 comments True, but it was still a nice read.

message 18: by Amy (last edited Jan 08, 2008 06:09PM) (new)

Amy (Ldtchr) | 6 comments I loved Inkheart too and found that I didn't connect with Inkspell the same. I find that I tend to have that with the 2nd books in trilogies though - the dark spots in the journeys . . . I especially found that with The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. Has anyone read that one?

message 19: by Grace (new)

Grace | 16 comments Yeah, I read them! I liked them all a lot, it was really cool. They are all sorta mushed in my head though, so I can't really separate the three, lol.

message 20: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lhilt) | 5 comments I LOVED this book. I could NOT stop reading it. We were on vacation overseas and all I wanted to do was lounge around in the hotel room and finish Inkheart! I loved Inkspell almost equally, and I am looking forward to the third. It was very original, made me realize why I love literature in the first place... how Funke intertwined our favorite stories into Inkheart... Capricorn is fantastic... I am looking forward to the movie but am afraid I will be disappointed.. I hope they stay true to the novel as best they can.

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen | 3 comments I loved both Inkheart and Inkspell. They're so original! And isn't there something that appeals particularly to book lovers? When Meggie read Tinkerbell out, I gave a little whoop.

message 22: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (CelesteLueck) | 10 comments I love this book, but I liked Inkspell even better. I felt like we got to know the characters so much better in the second book. I am so looking forward to October and Inkdeath. Unforunately, the movie release has been moved from March this year to January next, but I be there no matter what when it does come out.

I too loved when Tink made her appearence.

message 23: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments I liked Inkspell a lot more than Inkheart! There just seemed to be so much more happening, and I loved the world of the book they were read into, whereas the first one just takes place in our world, and wasn't as interesting. Great idea for both books though, looking forward to the third!

message 24: by Ann (new)

Ann | 48 comments I thought it would be a good time to revive this thread since the movie's come out now (yay! Finally!).

I read "Inkheart" last year and loved it! I'm not sure why I did, but I was intrigued and couldn't read it fast enough. I'm trying to get into "Inkspell" but there's several chapters of "beginnings" so it takes a little while - I'm hoping after I see the movie it will hurry me along;)

message 25: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 41 comments THE MOVIE'S OUT? WHAT?! Oh, I guess it's not out in Australia yet though, as movies are released here about A YEAR after everywhere else! Is it good? Has anyone seen it?
I read the third and final book, Inkdeath, a couple of months ago, and thought it a really good finish. It was hard to get into at first, but picked up, and I really liked the second half.

message 26: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (Mamallama) | 21 comments I am currently reading InkDeath after reading Inkheart and Inkspell. I definitely got hooked. I wanted to read Inkheart before I saw the movie (I'm going this weekend) and I can't believe how addicting the books are. I'm not gonna like that Inkdeath is the last book of the series, though. I want more. I guess I'll have to settle for more from the author. I'm really loving Inkdeath, too!

Ann wrote: "I thought it would be a good time to revive this thread since the movie's come out now (yay! Finally!).

I read "Inkheart" last year and loved it! I'm not sure why I did, but I was intrigued and ..."

message 27: by Dija (new)

Dija My thoughts exactly, Erica. The firs two books were great, but Inkdeath sort of ruined the series for me.

message 28: by Eden (new)

Eden (Tsalagi_Writer) | 135 comments I read Inkheart last year and I loved it. I want to read the second book soon.

message 29: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks Eden wrote: "I read Inkheart last year and I loved it. I want to read the second book soon."

I am going to wait until I can get the series in German.

message 30: by Shelli (new)

Shelli I'm in the minority here...I was really excited to read Inkheart, and thought it was just ok compard to all the other great YA I've read this year. I had a hard time staying interested and never really found I "loved" any of the characters...I don't think I'll read the others.

message 31: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn | 13 comments Shelli wrote: "I'm in the minority here...I was really excited to read Inkheart, and thought it was just ok compard to all the other great YA I've read this year. I had a hard time staying interested and never re..."

Shelli, I agree with you. I've enjoyed the books but they aren't one of my favorite series and I really had to work to keep going, mostly because I'm a stubborn reader. I do love the relationship between father and daughter but parts of the books just drag for me. This was one case where I actually preferred the movie (highly unusual for me).

message 32: by Meels (new)

Meels (Amelia) I loved Inkheart, Inkspell was good too, but I was so ticked at the person she killed off I haven't been able to pick up Inkdeath. (That's not a spoiler, I didn't tell!)

message 33: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Caitlyn wrote: "Shelli wrote: "I'm in the minority here...I was really excited to read Inkheart, and thought it was just ok compard to all the other great YA I've read this year. I had a hard time staying interest..."

Phew...glad I'm not the only one!

message 34: by Shelli (new)

Shelli See, for me anyway...I enjoyed the Gregor the Overlander books much more.

message 35: by Shelli (new)

Shelli I didn't read that one.

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (BMReviewsohmy) Though I liked Inkheart because it was a interesting concept, I found it to dry and boring and thought I would never get through it..so even though I have the second one I haven't even tried it because I know I will probably like it but don't want to drudge through it...I don't know if all of Cornilia Funke books are like this but I am reading the ARC of Reckless and finding it to be a little slow also. :(

message 37: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn | 13 comments Bluemoon wrote: "you guys have to understand that this book is not YA. It's more for middle-grade kids. You shouldn't really compare it to books like Hunger Games, Gone, Thief, etc.

Compared to other middle-grade..."

I still stand by my comments. Was thrilled when I heard about the book because it's such an awesome concept, especially for book lovers. But it came off a bit dry for me. Loved City of Ember which I feel is targeted towards the same age group of middle-schoolers.

message 38: by Shelli (new)

Shelli Caitlyn wrote: "Bluemoon wrote: "you guys have to understand that this book is not YA. It's more for middle-grade kids. You shouldn't really compare it to books like Hunger Games, Gone, Thief, etc.

Compared to..."

I'll check out City of Ember.