Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

suggestions > Cornealia Funke

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 4 comments Im not sure how many here are interested in young adult books, but Cornealia Funke is one of my favorite authors.
Inkheart, the first in the Ink triliogy by Cornealia Funke, is one of my favorite books, and I highly recomend it.

message 2: by Joseph (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Joseph Daly | 2 comments Looks like Inkheart is being made into a movie staring Brenden Fraser and Andy Serkis. I'll put my all American, "raised on cable TV and movies logic" into effect and say the book has to be at least halfway decent if they're making it into a movie! I'll have to check it out.

Oops watch your head, shameless self promoting plug coming your way...

Check out my new book
Strange Town Volume One: The Woods Behind Trevor Malone's House

Joe

message 3: by Chrystal714 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Chrystal714 | 24 comments I have read the second one Inkspell. I keep hoping to see the first on audio in my library but haven't found it yet.

message 4: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

J-Lynn Van Pelt | 19 comments I haven't read the Inkspell series, but really liked The Thief Lord. It is a very simple, but oddly stylistic example of magical realism. The book takes place in Venice and is told through the eyes of a rag-tag group of orphans--with some deep lessons about the power of family, even if you are not bound by blood. The Thief Lord was not translated by the same person as her subsequent novels and I would argue that there might have been a little something lost in the translation, but I still enjoyed it. It was also made into a pretty good movie adaptation that is now out on DVD.

message 5: by Eric (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 4 comments Thief Lord is very good. If your into Fables Id recomend Dragon Rider. Theres just something about Funke's writing that I love.

Heres a sneak peek at the Inkheart Movie:

http://www.corneliafunke.de/l8mimages...

message 6: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Alexandra I read "Inkheart" recently and I really liked it. Took me a bit to get into it, but I'm glad I stuck it out. I haven't read the others, or "Thief Lord" yet, but I plan to.

message 7: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestelueck) | 4 comments I've read Thief Lord and Inkheart, Inkspell. I enjoyed Thief Lord, but I love both Inkheart and Inkspell. If you haven't read these yet, run, don't walk, to your nearest book source and pick them up. They are great books. Looking forward to October when Inkdeath comes out.

Cornelia Funke has to be one of the best YA authors out there today.