The Sword and Laser discussion

The Wheel of Time

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Nasuti (rlnasuti) | 31 comments So I've been reading the Wheel of Time since about 1996 or 1997. During that time I must have re-read the first 5 books 3 or 4 times in order to prepare for a new one. With the series as long as it is now, I've become unwilling to do so again.

My problem is with the cast so huge and all the intrigue, I'd love to re-read the books, but it's just not feasible.

Has anyone else had this problem and know of a solution? I know that the "Song of Ice and Fire" series has a website that sums up all the important things that happened as a refresher - does anyone know of anything like this for The Wheel of Time? or should I just suck it up and re-read the series one last time?

Thanks for your input!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I'm all for re-reading, but I read very fast and understand that it's not feasible for everyone

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ is probably your best bet.
Leigh Butler's re-read on tor.com is also good, but pretty long and may not save you much time.

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments Encyclopedia WoT is what I have used in the past for book and chapter detailed summaries.to remind me who's who and important bits you might have missed/forgotten.

message 4: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) Isn't book 5-11 just someone pulling on their braid while the entire cast snorts "Men!" or "Women!"

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Keith wrote: "Isn't book 5-11 just someone pulling on their braid while the entire cast snorts "Men!" or "Women!""

No, they also contain much in the way of minor thematic points, leit motifs, table setting and descriptive passages.

Seriously though, I consider the later books to be unfairly maligned, only Crossroad at Twilight is truly bad, and then only for its failed formal experimentation, which I can't condemn to harshly.

message 6: by Stu (new)

Stu | 3 comments Normally I just try to read the previous book and i can remember most of what happens.

message 7: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Kate wrote: "Seriously though, I consider the later books to be unfairly maligned, only Crossroad at Twilight is truly bad, and then only for its failed formal experimentation, which I can't condemn to harshly. "

I agree with them being unfairly maligned. I know he lost control of his own series but the character development in them is really really great. You just have to care enough about the world and the characters and a lot of people don't. I do but I can see why some people just dropped the series.

message 8: by Jeane (new)

Jeane (pinkbookdragon) | 53 comments I am trying to re-read all the books by the time the final book comes out in January. I have never re-read them before so this is a first for me. So weird to read how silly all the characters were in the first book and how much they have grown by the time the 11th and 12 books came out!

message 9: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Kate wrote: "Seriously though, I consider the later books to be unfairly maligned, only Crossroad at Twilight is truly bad, and then only for its failed formal experimentation, which I can't condemn to harshly. "

No, they really are that bad. Plotlines that should've been wrapped up in one book got dragged out for five -- Faile with the Shaido, Mat's escape from Ebou Dar, the Siege of Tar Valon, Elayne consolidating power in Andor. And in most cases, we'd get five chapters of Perrin walking through camp, or Elayne soaking in a bathtub contemplating their situations, followed by one chapter where something happens, ending in a cliffhanger. You could easily take all the books from A Crown of Swords to A Knife of Dreams and edit them down to two volumes without losing anything.

message 10: by Neil (new)

Neil (rucknrun) I have just started the 8th book in the series. I still like them. Plan to get through all of them at some point. I tend to like these epicly long series though. I am happy this one is not 900 pages long though.

message 11: by Drew Miller (new)

Drew Miller | 9 comments I'm in exactly the same boat as Micah. I love the long series and the amount of character development that these had. I still do a reread any time a new one comes out, even if it takes a month or three.

message 12: by Faiz (new)

Faiz | 80 comments I echo the recommendation of Leigh Butler's recaps on tor.com

They are fantastic; they are critical when they have to be, extremely insightful on a creative and literary level and really funny besides.

In any case, my recommendation for those in a big rush would be to read a shorter chapter summary somewhere like the wot encyclopedia then read her commentary.

I also read her ASOIAF recaps too, good stuff.

message 13: by A.J. (new)

A.J. (ajbobo) | 72 comments Right before book 7 came out, a friend of mine gave me a printed copy of the Wheel of Time FAQ. That was an invaluable resource while I was reading. In particular, there was a sort of "where are they now" section that was really helpful, as I recall. I think that the FAQ has changed managers (it used to be Leigh Butler, I think) but it's still a good resource.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael A (Greylikestorms) | 14 comments I have to echo what others have said about Leigh Butler's re-read on tor.com. The first few books could probably be skipped, but I think it would be great for the later volumes.

I've read up to Crossroads of Twilight, and am several books behind, although I'd really, really love to finish out the series. I started it in high school, in '97 or so.
What my problem with the series is is that the later books get bogged down with so many different characters that it's almost impossible to keep track of them all. I gave up trying to recall who was who particularly during the Aes Sedai chapters - there are so many of them, and all of them become indistinguishable.

message 15: by Ewan (new)

Ewan (ewanreads) | 94 comments I have re-read WOT countless times but if you're pinched for time what I suggest you do is read one of the chapter summaries that are available from fansites or TOR and then just read the chapters you really love from the summarised books.

For example on this most recent re-read I skipped over all the Perrin/Faile chapters because I could not deal with the whining and bitching ;)