Banned Books Club discussion

This topic is about 1984
1984 > 1984 Book 3

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments This is to discuss book 3 of 1984.

Serena Huang (marrykatebush) | 259 comments So I am done with the book. As soon as Winston (view spoiler)

message 3: by Barbara (last edited Feb 21, 2012 11:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments SPOILERS IN THIS POST!!!!!

Serena, I agree. Not just in this book, but in other books I've read with descriptions of torture, and any situations in real life that I've read in the news on torture, I would DEFINITELY take death over torture.

So what's your overall opinion of 1984?

I just posted in the Part 1 thread that I've been reading this on my Nook. The Nook has an excellent highlighting feature, which makes it so easy to go back through the book for reminders of important things.

I've been wanting to post some of the notes from my highlights here, but I've been having some health issues... AGAIN!!! This time I'm having constant headaches, and I'm falling SO behind at work, which has made me fall behind here on Goodreads!!!

I'm so curious as to whether or not you liked 1984!!!

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Feb 21, 2012 11:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara (barbarasc) | 168 comments PARTS OF THIS POST IS A SPOILER -- I HAVE POSTED A NOTE IN ALL CAPS (like this note) BEFORE THE "SPOILER" PART -- I WOULD SUGGEST TO WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE FINISHED READING 1984 BEFORE YOU READ THE "SPOILER" PART.

In response to Kathy's post in the thread on "Part 1" this is part of what I wrote:

Kathy, I hope you plan to read the entire book!!! Have you made it to Part 2 yet?? The discussion threads for this book will remain here, even once the March book is selected and discussed, so we can finish discussing 1984 even while we're reading and discussing the March book.

But here is one thing I'd like to share, which may motivate you (or make you curious) enough to read the whole book.

HERE IS THE PART THAT IS A SPOILER -- I WOULD ADVISE EVERYONE TO NOT READ THIS PART UNTIL YOU HAVE FINISHED THE BOOK.....

OKAY, I know that politics are not supposed to be discussed... ever!!! Not with business associates, not at cocktail parties, and probably not on Goodreads. BUT, I can't help it with this particular book!!! So before I say anymore, I will announce here that I am a liberal democrat, BUT, I am always open to hearing all sides and views, and I do not judge people if their views are different than mine.

SO, (this is the part I want to share, and I'm curious what you and the rest of the group think.)

I was on a business call with a man, around 58 years old) who is an excellent guitar player and currently has his own company in the music biz. We've known each other for around 25 years, and we're comfortable talking about anything with each other. So he told me he's been reading a lot on the founding fathers (of the US) and the constitution, and he has declared that he is now a "constitutional conservative." I let him tell me "how things should be" for around 20 minutes, and finally I said to him "I'm currently reading 1984. Have you read it?" His answer, without a moment of hesitation, was "O'Brien is Ted Kennedy."

Now, obviously he knows the book was written in 1948 or 1949, so he was not implying that Orwell wrote O'Brien's character with Ted Kennedy in mind. (I don't know what year Ted K. was born, but he was most likely just playing in his sand box in 1948.) But my friend was basically saying that Ted and O'Brien have many similarities.

At this point in the conversation, I really needed to get off the phone, so I couldn't ask him to elaborate on this point. I will probably speak with him again within the next week or so, and I will ask him why he made this statement, and if anyone here is interested I will share it here.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here see the connection between these two men?? (and I believe you need to read the whole book in order to answer this question.)

Kathy, I hope this has piqued your curiosity enough to read to the very end!!!

SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG POST!!!

Satia Barbara, If you click the (some html is ok) link just above every comment block, a window opens that shows how to create a spoiler tag and how to close it. I think I emailed you a while ago how to do it but I forget or may have forgotten to do it. Either way, whenever I forget how to do it, that's what I do. I just click the link and go "Oh yeah." That's how to do it.

In the meantime, it's not unlike making text bold or italicized. You just use the word "spoiler." Use it enough times and eventually you won't even need to remember the link.

Satia Barbara wrote: "PARTS OF THIS POST IS A SPOILER -- I HAVE POSTED A NOTE IN ALL CAPS (like this note) BEFORE THE "SPOILER" PART -- I WOULD SUGGEST TO WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE FINISHED READING 1984 BEFORE YOU READ THE "SP..."
Barbara, Kudos to you. My political views are pretty solidified and, unlike you, I no longer listen to other viewpoints. I know I'm not changing my point-of-view and life's too short to debate issues that are not likely to change in my lifetime.

Wasn't it Thomas Jefferson who said something about the worst thing that could happen to our American government would that we'd become a bipartisan nation? I don't know for sure. I should research it someday.

As for your question . . . (view spoiler)

I have a friend whose political views are diametrically opposed to my own and we never ever talk politics because we both know that neither of us will change our viewpoints and we respect one another's right to feel and believe what we choose without feeling threatened by the other.