Parents of Tweens (9-14) discussion

Discussions > Anyone ready to dicuss books?

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Hi Everyone, and especially to our new members.Anyone ready to discuss books? Here are some suggestions of books we could discuss. We could discuss The Hunger Games because it's so popular, but there is some question about it being tween appropriate. Some other books we could discuss: From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler, Abel's Island, Treasure Island, or The Lightning Thief. We are open to any suggestions. Thanks, and we hope to hear from you! :D

message 2: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments I am in for the Lighting Thief! I have Abel's Island and Treasure Island on my "to be read list". I would like to have book discussions!

message 3: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Erik wrote: "I am in for the Lighting Thief! I have Abel's Island and Treasure Island on my "to be read list". I would like to have book discussions!"

I loved The Lightning Thief, and would be happy to discuss it. Anyone else interested? Thanks, Erik, for getting the ball rolling. :D

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Well, my Thomas, age 9, has just ordered the Lighting Thief so we'd like to discuss that one. His Dad and I both just finished the Hunger Games books but also wonder how appropriate it is for our kid, being the younger side of tweendom. I absolutely loved From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs Basil E. Frankweiler when I was a kid so wouldn't at all mind reading it again, having stashed a copy away years ago for Thomas to read someday.

message 5: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Great, Leslie. That makes three of us who wish to discuss The Lightning Thief. Is there anyone else who will join this discussion? The Hunger Games would be a good choice for discussion too–mainly about whether it's appropriate for 9 to 12-year-olds. I liked The Hunger Games myself, but, to put my two cents in, I don't believe this series is appropriate for 9 to 12-year-olds. But others may disagree. Any comments from the group? I'm glad you loved From the Mixed-Up Files Of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. I loved it too. But the question is, will Thomas? My own thoughts are that you might wait a year or two. Are there any other opinions on that from the group?

message 6: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments My parents won't let me read The Hunger Games yet. They think it is for a little older kid. I do know a girl in my class that read it. I've never read The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, but it is one of my reading olympics books for school.

message 7: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Well, Erik, Leslie, & Thomas. Let's start a discussion then. How is Thomas liking The Lightning Thief? At what point were you completely caught up in it, Erik? Riordan started capturing my heart with the name of his 1st chapter, “I ACCIDENTALLY VAPORIZE MY PRE-ALGEBRA TEACHER.” And by the time Riordan had the Minotaur attack Percy, his mother, % Grover, I was completely caught up.

message 8: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments The name of the first chapter is great! The first chapter creeped me out a bit with the teacher turning into a monster. I just really like Percy. He is an awesome character! I think in chapter 2 I started to get all the funny things Mr. Riordan mixed into the scary things...OK and when the Minotaur was wearing Fruit of the Loom underwear...no THAT'S when I was hooked! Who is your favorite character? Mine is Anabeth in the first book. She is a lot like me (in a Greek-ish way) ;).

message 9: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Yeah, that Fruit of the Loom was a great touch! It's difficult for me to choose between Anabeth and Percy as my favorite character, but I'll go with Percy. So, LOL, Anabeth is like you in a Greek–-ish way? Would you be willing to explain that a little further? :D Also, is there any chance that we could hear what Leslie and Thomas think about the book so far? It's been so long since I've read The Lightning Thief, that I've forgotten parts of it. I started rereading it this morning, so we may be at the same point of the book! And, Erik, hopefully my answers will become a little more detailed. Thanks again for getting the ball rolling.

message 10: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments Thanks Mr. Davis! OK- "Greek-ish" because everything in the book has to do with Greek mythology and my life doesn't have any. I have a question: What is your favorite part of the book so far Ms. Leslie and Thomas? Mr. Davis, please don't answer because it's a great book and we don't want to give things away. I'm glad to be part of this discussion! I liked the humor in the book a lot! What did you like about the book?

message 11: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments I also liked how Mr. Riordan put mythology in the stories. I am a fan of mythology.

message 12: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Hello Erik and Everyone. While we're waiting for others to join in our discussion of The Lightning Thief, here's a little game we can play if you wish to, or have the time to. You said that you like mythology, Erik, so here is the game for you, or for anyone else as well. Where is the mythological source for Hephaestus catching Ares and Aphrodite in a golden net? Here's a hint. It's either in the Iliad or the Odyssey by Homer.

message 13: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments OK you got me there. I know the Odyssey pretty well, so I'm guessing it's told in the... Iliad?? I know that Hephaestus was married to Aphrodite... But she loved Ares... That's why he wanted to catch them but I don't know where the net came from!
Erik :)

message 14: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Well, that's a pretty good guess, Erik. I'm impressed that you've read the Odyssey! I've read it too but didn't remember the part about the net. My wife found it in Book VIII of the Odyssey--Demodocus sings about it.:)

message 15: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments I read the abridged version of it so I missed that or maybe the net wasn't in it. I do know that he caught the two. Now I have a question for you or anyone else (COME ON PEOPLE JOIN IN!!!) - what are Medussa's sisters names and how many are there?

message 16: by Elise (last edited Mar 17, 2012 04:52PM) (new)

Elise Stokes (elisestokes_cassidyjones) | 4 comments I love The Lightening Thief, but it's clear Erik knows more about Greek mythology than I do.:) I thought Riordan's portrayal of the gods was brilliant. Ares was my favorite.

message 17: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Aw. You fall for biker guys... ;) Maybe my favorite god is Mr.D. (hey, names have power). He's a shrewd one, and pretty funny too. Though I must admit that I too loved Ares as soon as he roared up on that bike. And then Poseidon, he turns out to be pretty neat. Anyone reading or read the book? Join in! :D Anybody have an answer yet to Erik's question about the names of Medusa's two sisters. Who's your favorite god, Erik?

message 18: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments I like Mr. D. and Pan as my favorite gods (can't decide which one to choose from). Ares is pretty cool too! BUT in the MOVIE, there is NO Ares!!!! AND NO Clarisse! They both play important roles in the series! >:o( (angry face) I just realized that I misspelled Medusa's name (put two "s"s in it!)! Oops! Thanks for joining in Ms. Stokes! :)

message 19: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Hi Folks. We started a new thread for discussing The Lightning Thief. Please leave your Lightning Thief comments there. Anyone want to discuss any other books? These can be books you or or tweens have read, or books that you're considering getting your tween, and about which you wish to get some feedback.:)

message 20: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments @vivianne When I first read about Mrs. Dobbs I didn't think I'd like te book because it was really scary. My mom read the book first and told me to keep reading it. She knew once I got past that part I would love it and I did. Now Mr. Riordan is one of my favorite authors. I thought the Three Fates were kind of creepy too. Socks of Death is funny!

message 21: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments Does anybody have an opinion on how old you have to be for the Hunger Games? My parents say it is too old for me (not because of reading level but because of what is in it). I know some kids in my class read it.

message 22: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Well, Erik, your parents may see that THG has lots of gory violence in it. I found it pretty intense. I'd think twice before recommending to a tween myself.

message 23: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments I'll take my parent's decision. There are A LOT of other AWESOME books out there for kids my age :)

message 24: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Davis | 120 comments Erik wrote: "I'll take my parent's decision. There are A LOT of other AWESOME books out there for kids my age :)"

That's the spirit! Congrats! :D

message 25: by Mark (new)

Mark Smith | 6 comments I think violence is only one part of why younger readers might want to hold off on reading The Hunger Games. A large part of the book is also about the thought process behind the characters, which is an immediate turn off for my son. Action, action, action is what he wants. I know not all readers his age are this way, but spending a lot of time dwelling on what a character is feeling is an acquired taste that even I don't have the stomach for sometimes (I give you Stephen Donaldson).

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) There's a good deal of romance too, Erik, as Katniss spends a lot of pages trying to figure out her relationships with two different fellows, and I know you're not too fond of that. :)

message 27: by Erik (new)

Erik This Kid Reviews Books (ThisKidReviewsBooks) | 32 comments :) Yes, I don't like too much romance! I am fine with a little, but not a lot.

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine Donnelly (cmd723) Earlier on you were talking about Hunger Games and what age group is appropriate. My 12 year old just finished the series and she loved it! However, she had no desire to read it until after she saw the movie. Which of course she totally loved. After she read the first book I asked her if her sister should read it (she's 10 and loves to read) 12 said no she's to young. 12 gets a text from 8 year old cousin saying shes reading it and so is everyone in her 3rd grade class.....what??? don't parents understand that its young adult for a reason... oh and i forgot to mention i was hesitant on letting my 12 year old read it...anyway the sensationalism of the movie has made Everyone want to read this book, unfortunately parents aren't caring if it's appropriate for "Johnny" they are allowing it because " everyone else is doing it"!

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) That's funny that 12 said 10 is too young! :) But I think I'd agree with her. I thought long and hard about my 12-year-old joining "everybody" and decided against until she's 14. I don't think she could handle it yet. Third grade is ridiculous.