The Filipino Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ding (new)

Ding | 3 comments I went to a wake once and brought along my book thinking I would be staying there long because of filipino tradition called 'lamay' sa patay. I am really not one to chat with about sad stories, I just wanted to pay my respects to a friend of mine by being there and catch up on my reading at the same time. On hindsight, I have always been thinking if I did something rude by my reading a book instead of doing nothing and having an attitude of grief. I would like to hear your opinion on this.

message 2: by K.D. (last edited Feb 17, 2012 02:05AM) (new)

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) | 6065 comments That's okay if you are alone. Say everybody was sleeping and no one seemed to be interested in talking to you because you only knew your dead friend.

Normally, I talk to the immediate grieving family. Parent if your dead friend was single or spouse or children if married. Other than that if no one seems to be interested to talk to me. I just stay there for a while. Of course after signing the guest list, view the corpse, and say some prayers for him/her.

I never tried reading. Unless if you are reading bible or if your friend would understand. Say if he was a reader too and you kind of exchanged books when he or she was still alive.

In my opinion.

It's like waiting for the priest to show up at the altar during the Sunday mass. I only do that if it is the Bible or some kind of religious book that I am reading.

Tuklas Pahina (TP) | 1191 comments Ding

don't be offended baka nmn kasi may gustong makipag-usap sa iyo nun at hindi mo pinapansin at nag-focus ka na lng sa reading mo? cguro sabi ng mga frneds mo eh sana sa bahay ka n lng nag basa ng book kaysa pumunta sa lamay if that is the case pero kung wala talagang kumakausap sau its a great idea to read!...un nga lang ciempre kpg may na kakita sa iyo sabihin dapat makipag inter act ka sa mga tao sa lamay.