Around the World in 80 Books discussion

ATW in 80 Books World Challenge > Tazitazitazi - Circumnavigator (Frequent Flyer)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tazitazitazi (last edited Feb 17, 2012 12:33AM) (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments This is what a read so far (before entering this challenge):
Europe:
Croatia - Hotel Zagorje by Ivana Simić Bodrožić
Germany - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Bosnia and Herzegovina - Geto by Veselin Gatalo
England - Pride and Prejudice by Nancy Butler
Norway - Babette's Feast by Isak Dinesen
France - Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution by Michelle Moran
Poland - Night by Elie Wiesel

North America:
Canada - Paul Has a Summer Job by Michel Rabagliati
United States - The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Asia:
Japan - Death Note, Volume 1: Boredom by Tsugumi Ohba
China - Il lama bianco: L'integrale by Alejandro Jodorowsky

Middle East:
Iraq - Les Cinq Conteurs de Bagdad by Fabien Vehlmann

Some countries I’ve revisited, but I’ve only posted the first book. 12 countries in 4 regions – I think I’m doing well so far ;)

message 2: by Tazitazitazi (last edited May 01, 2012 10:51PM) (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I spend a whole month in India finishing The Twentieth Wife. It was a long and not very successful visit, because it was only a 2 star book. I have no idea were to next.

total:
13 countries
4 regions

message 3: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I just spend the weekend in Russia with Boris Akunin and his detective Erast Petrovič Fandorin. The Death of Achilles was the third book from this author that I read, and it will not be the last. His stories are not original but his style is great. Now, I'm of to Kenya with Karen Blixen and her book Out of Africa.

total: 14 countries and 4 regions

message 4: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments While in Kenya, I hoped to Netherlands for a few days, but it was a bad trip. The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam is a bunch of clichés. So, I’m going back to Africa.

total: 15 countries and 4 regions

message 5: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I changed my mind on the way and went to Antigua (the Caribbean) with the good old John le Carré and his latest book Our Kind of Traitor by John le Carré .

total: 16 countries and 5 regions

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read a John LeCarre book. Which one would you recommend?

message 7: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I only read 2 of his books. This one was nice, but I didn't like the ending (and in the same time it's the only logical ending). Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is the other one. It's his most popular book and I also liked it, but I've read it long time ago. There are 2 movies made from this book in 1979 and 2011. You can use them as a warm up ;)

message 8: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I'm so glad to have chosen to be a frequent flyer, because I can’t decide what book to read next. After Antigua I went to North Korea with Guy Delisle and his comic book Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea and soon after started reading a book from Thailand Bangkok Tattoo.

total: 17 countries and 5 regions

message 9: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments

Dina, Thanks for this web site. I was unsuccessfully trying to make something like this a few days ago.

message 10: by Dina (new)

Dina Goluza | 96 comments You're welcome. And I have to confess you visited such a great area. :)

message 11: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I just read The Madonna of the Almonds, and if you like books by Alice Hoffman, you will probably like this one too. It takes place in the north of Italy and it has a nice mystical atmosphere.
Now, I'm off to Spain with Carlos Ruiz Zafón and his Marina

Total: 18 countries and 5 regions

message 12: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
What to say about this book but ''I loved it''. I'll be going back to Spain with Carlos Ruiz Zafón very soon.

Total: 19 countries and 5 regions

message 13: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I just finished a book from Thailand: Bangkok Tattoo by John Burdett
I didn't like the detective story, but I did like the part about the Thailand’s culture and their view on foreigners, mainly Americans.

message 14: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments Kolekcionar by Sergio Toppi
This comic book contains 5 different stories. Every one of them takes place in a different part of the world and some of them in more than one. So it was hard for me to decide on a country. On the end I decided on Papua New Guinea, because it’s a new region for me (Oceania).

Total: 21 countries and 6 regions

message 15: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments Just read Dope Priest. The book takes place mostly in Palestine. My impressions of this book still didn’t settle, so it’s hard for me to make any comments on it, but I can say it’s very unusual.

Total: 22 countries and 6 regions

message 16: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments The Bat is the 1st book in series about Norwegian detective Harry Hole, but the 5th book in this series that I have read (they aren't translated and published in order, don’t know why). I really like this series (my favorite one is Le sauveur) and it usually takes place in Oslo, but this one takes place in Australia.

Total: 23 countries and 6 regions

message 17: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments A part of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 takes place in Egypt. I liked it, but not so much as other books by Alan Moore I've read so far (Watchmen and V for Vendetta). And it's a new region for me (Africa).

Total: 24 countries and 7 regions

message 18: by Tazitazitazi (last edited Jun 20, 2012 02:32AM) (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments Just finishead Burma Chronicles by Guy Delisle
This book is funny, educational and unpretentious. Because of that it’s a very good way to learn about Burma (Myanmar).

Total: 25 countries and 7 regions

message 19: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments Just read Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil and El Niño: Vjetar od stotinu i dvadeset dana, booth seat in Afghanistan

Total: 26 countries and 7 regions

message 20: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I just read a book from Sweden called U sjeni zločina (I the shadow of a crime). It's very interesting but emotionally hard.

Total: 27 countries and 7 regions

message 21: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ztook) | 82 comments I've just read Dina's journal - yours is awesome too. I love travelling, and even reading about somebody else's travel, if only through books, thrills me! Good luck with the challenge!

message 22: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments Thanks! It's an interesting challenge and I like participating, but it has 1 bad side. I have neglected other challenges, books and goodreads groups.
To make it more interesting I have decided to visit all of the countries in Europe. Exploring my back yard first. ;)

message 23: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments Read Hygiene and the Assassin for Belgium. It was a hard book and I didn't like it. It reminded me of Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. If you are curious you can watch a movie.

Total: 28 countries and 7 regions

message 24: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments The Night Circus takes place in many countries but it's my challenge for Austria. It's a beautiful book and I can't wait for someone to make it into a movie so I can relive that magical atmosphere once again.

Total: 29 countries and 7 regions

message 25: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments Dunavski blues by Hrvoje Ivančić is a wonderful travelogue of 2 men traveling in 4 m long boat on rivers Sava and Danube from Zagreb to the Black sea. It is spontaneous, direct, open and honest. A great read! After this one I decided to read a lot more travelogues for this challenge, especially Around the World in 80 Days Companion to the PBS Series by Michael Palin
During the travel they cross through Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine, but it’s my challenge for Romania.

Total: 30 countries and 7 regions

message 26: by Alice (new)

Alice | 462 comments Tazitazitazi wrote: "Dunavski blues by Hrvoje Ivančić is a wonderful travelogue of 2 men traveling in 4 m long boat on rivers Sava and Danube from Zagreb to the Black sea. It is spontaneous, direct, open and honest. A great..."

Are you sure you put the right link? I don't remember Palin's 80 days going through those countries? Maybe you accidentally clicked on the wrong book?

message 27: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I obviously didn't express myself very well. English is my second language after all. Lets tray again ;) :

Dunavski blues by Hrvoje Ivančić is a wonderful travelogue of 2 men traveling in 4 m long boat on rivers Sava and Danube from Zagreb to the Black sea. During the travel they cross through Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania and Ukraine, but it’s my challenge for Romania. The book is spontaneous, direct, open and honest. A great read!
After this book I decided to read a lot more travelogues for this challenge, especially Around the World in 80 Days Companion to the PBS Series by Michael Palin

Total: 30 countries and 7 regions

message 28: by Alice (new)

Alice | 462 comments Tazitazitazi wrote: "I obviously didn't express myself very well. English is my second language after all. Lets tray again ;) :

Dunavski blues by Hrvoje Ivančić is a wonderful travelogue of 2 men traveling in 4 m long boat ..."

Your English is a lot better than my second language! Thanks for the clarification!

message 29: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I finally finished Blindness, my challenge for Portugal. It's very interesting and intriguing book, but it’s hard to say did I like it. It made me wonder does humanity have a future and I didn’t like the answer.

Total: 31 countries and 7 regions

message 30: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments This weekend I have read Around the World in Eighty Days. I have no idea why I did not read this book for this challenge sooner. It should be mandatory book for the challenge!
I have seen so many movies on this subject I thought it will be boring, but on the contrary, it was great. I read it in a hart beat. The only thing I did not like is that Fogg solves all his problems with money.
Also, I was amassed that I have visited almost all of the countries mentioned in the book. So on the end this book is my challenge for Singapore.

Total: 32 countries and 7 regions

message 31: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I've been busy and read:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children for Wales my review
Laika for Kazakhstan
Exit Wounds for Israel

Total: 35 countries and 7 regions

message 32: by Tazitazitazi (new)

Tazitazitazi | 49 comments I've read Džin 1: Otomanski ciklus for Turkey. This book reminded me of The Twentieth Wife, because they both talk about women in harem and their influence on ruling an empire.

Total: 36 countries and 7 regions