Love Inspired Historicals discussion

totally of subject sort of

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments On Sunday we remember 70 years since the Bombing on Darwin. What most people dont know is that more bombs were dropped on Darwin than Pearl Harbour.
I visited Pearl Harbour last year and it was interesting learning its history and quite a somber occasion seeing the memorial.
I never realised the bombing of Darwin was even greater. If they had captured Darwin they would have had a major foothold into Australia and also the south Pacific.
My dad was there. He was a Machine gunner who would have shot at the planes. he talked a little of his time there but as he died when I was 11 I dont remember alot. Just that he was in Darwin.

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
I had no idea of that, Ausjenny. Your father must have been a brave man.

message 3: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments He was as were all the other diggers. There were a few raids and I guess cos its not as well known as it was the Aussies who were protecting the area. The Diggers were already in Darwin been there in Darwin. I think from what I can see dad was there from Dec 1941. Its possible that after the attack on Pearl Harbour the defenses in Northern Australia were strengthened. The Japanese had overthrown Singapore and were trying to over throw other places in south east asia so I think thats why we were prepared.
252 people killed 400 wounded 10 ships sunk and I forget how many were damanged.

message 4: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 518 comments That's very interesting to know, Ausjenny!

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Moore (goodreadscommary_moore) | 109 comments Wow Jenny, that's amazing! We so tend to only think of our own participation in worldwide events. Thanks for sharing that. When a parent dies young, you wish you had them back a million times during your lifetime to ask them questions as you need them, don't you? At least you can be very proud of him and I'll start remember Darwin on Pearl Harbor day from here on out!

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Bylin (victoriabylin) | 198 comments Hi AusJenny, I can only imagine the courage of the men at Darwin, including your father. He was a real life hero.

message 7: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Thanks ladies, It is interesting as they are making a big thing about it which is really good it makes me realise how he could have died there. They are doing alot of things to commemorate the day.
I think the show the Pacific shows how the Aussies were involved in the war. We had alot of prisoners of war in changi (Singapore) and My uncle was a POW in Ambon Island in Indonesia. there was also Burma railway which the POW's had to build. The Japanese didn't respect the prisoners and treated them like animals. When my uncle was imprisoned around 650 were captured and only about 150 survived.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Wow, Ausjenny thanks for sharing. I learned a lot from you today! You can sure be proud of your father and your uncle. Did your uncle survive the POW camp? I knew the prisoners were treated horribly, but this brings it home.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments Thank you for sharing Ausjenny! I never knew about Dawin. Your Father and Uncle are heros for fighting for their country

message 10: by Noelle (new)

Noelle Marchand (noellemarchand) | 176 comments Ausjenney, I'm so sorry that happened to your Dad. Thank you for telling us. I can't believe I've never heard about this before.

message 11: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments yes christine he survived the POW camp. I never met him. Mum was saying he and her sister were engaged and then he became MIA and they didn't find out much til the end of the war. They were captured when they first arrived on the island. He should have died as he was so sick and the japs would kill any digger who fell or were to weak to walk. His mates protected him. they fought he was dead.
I actually had 5 uncles who were part of the war effort (one couldn't fight but drove the conveys etc) and 2 aunts. I am not sure where dads aunt went if she left Australia but mums was a nurse in New Guinea.

Today is the official anniversary of the bombing of Darwin.

message 12: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Thanks Noelle, Its understandable as many Aussies didn't know much about the attack on Darwin. I knew of it but not of the scale. We did have alot of Americans come for r&r here in Australia and some came here as a jumping off point. I think after they captured Singapore with so little effort they saw Australia as the next substantial point to conquering more of the world. I dont think they were expecting the fight back they got.

message 13: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (mitzi_wanham) | 64 comments i've always thought that Aussies (is that an okay term or it that derogatory?) were a strong people. Maybe i think that because of novels i have read on their history. Anyways, i am glad your Dad and Uncle survived, though sorry you lost your Dad so early. Thanks for sharing about Australia's role in the war.

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debbiekaufman) | 66 comments Wow, Jenny, I never heard of that bombing either. Interesting how history is all from the perspective of the countries involved. BTW, both my fathers (adopted and bio) served in the Pacific with one of them surviving the Bataan March.

message 15: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Marianne Aussies is what we call our selves so its fine.
Debbie even alot of Aussies didn't know alot of the bombing at the time it was kept fairly quiet as Darwin is in the top end I think they thought the severity of it take quite a while to reach the south. even after the war it was still not talked about much. The diggers and the locals have been trying to get more recognition of it. Its taken along time as many Aussies had not Idea how bad it was including me.

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Glad to hear the bombing of Darwin is finally being recognized, Ausjenny. I knew Australia and New Zealand were seriously at risk during the Pacific War, but not that there had been actual bombing on that scale. Thanks for telling us about it! I'm interested in anything to do with history, especially lesser known things like this.

message 17: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Thanks Deborah, The Japs learnt from Pearl Harbour so hit harder because of it. They were more precise in there attack and they didn't care who they hit they hit the hospital and the hospital ship in the harbour and seems it was quite deliberate.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments That's awesome! I had no idea about that. You learn something new everyday. Your dad was a brave man!

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylstjohn) | 222 comments I'd briefly heard of Darwin before, Jenny. My husband reads and watches a lot of WWII history. I got more interested in Australian history after the movie Australia.

Sorry you lost your dad so young.

message 20: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments cool about hearing of Darwin Cheryl.

Thanks on dad dying young. He was 54 when I was born (48 years ago today) and had a stroke when I was 8, in many ways he died then but I have some good memories in the last 3 years, mainly him in the car taking me to and from school. he use to sing some made up songs but 2 he sang alot were Man of sorrows what a name, and One day (living he loved me, dying he saved me).
He also use to buy me icecreams. Alot of bad things happened in those last few years or not so good things but I have forgotten alot of that.

message 21: by Love Inspired (new)

Love Inspired Books (loveinspiredbooks) | 75 comments Wow, this is really interesting. I'm so glad you shared with us!

And happy birthday!!

I'm glad you have so many lovely memories of your father.

Dream

message 22: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Thanks Dream,