Beyond Reality discussion

In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
This topic is about In Enemy Hands
SERIES—List & Discussions > Honor Harrington--IN ENEMY HANDS - first impressions & roll call (*no spoilers*)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chris  (haughtc) Oops! I forgot to put this up yesterday, and was out of pocket all day today. Sorry about that, Weber fans!

It's time for Book #7 of our Honor Harrington series by David Weber group read.

This novel is In Enemy Hands. This is the thread for those just starting out or just getting into it. Feel free to post initial feelings to the events of the story and the characters.

First, a roll call, who's reading or already finished?

Do you like this book better or not as much as the first six? Is the series getting better, staying about the same, or losing steam?

Please avoid putting unmarked book spoilers in this thread. Those reading here should realize that even avoiding spoilers, the nature of any discussion of Book #7 means that spoilers for Books #1-6 are likely.

Note: see Stefan's entry here for series information and schedule.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I've finished it & gave it 3 stars.

Marty (martyjm) | 310 comments I am starting it.

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3152 comments Mod
Done, liked it a lot.

Lindsey | 379 comments Just finished re-reading it, one of my favorites.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments I think this was the last one I gobbled up during my popcorn feeding frenzy.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments I read this several times during my OMG-popcorn-addicted stage. If time allows I'll try to give it at least a look so I can refresh my memory and join in the discussion.

Suzanne | 98 comments I have it - haven't started it yet but I will!

Chris  (haughtc) Suzanne wrote: "I have it - haven't started it yet but I will!"

Same here. I've gotten hugely bogged down in group reads for several groups.

message 10: by Hélène (new) - added it

Hélène (hlneb) | 89 comments I've started it.
I'm hard pressed to understand Honor's reactions to the admiral - not when she's supposed to be fifty and not fifteen! She really seems emotionally immature.

message 11: by Jon (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I started it Wednesday and read the Prologue before nodding off. However, I had to put it on hold to read The Poisonwood Bible for a local library book club that met today at 2pm. I didn't quite finish that 500+ page book in two days, but I came close (within 30 pages). I read enough to enjoy the discussion.

Anyway, I'll get back to the Honorverse soon, probably tomorrow morning.

Christine (chrisarrow) Hélène wrote: "I've started it.
I'm hard pressed to understand Honor's reactions to the admiral - not when she's supposed to be fifty and not fifteen! She really seems emotionally immature."

She is, but I also thought it was kinda werid. While I liked this series, I'm getting a little underwhelmed and annoyed by each later books beginning.

Chris  (haughtc) I started this morning and I think I've managed a whole 20 pages. I struggled through the prolughhh, and didn't feel motivated to read much more.

Chris  (haughtc) Three days and I have yet to break the 100 page barrier.

Someone please tell me it gets better.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments Um ... it's got lots of pretty good/interesting scenes with the Havenites. From a character development standpoint. Some of them will be important later.

Chris  (haughtc) That sounds better than what I've endured so far. Thanks....

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Chris... didn't you nominate this series?

Chris  (haughtc) Ummmm....

Yeah...and I volunteered to lead the discussion.

Which...is what that was. Heh....

Prompt: "Tell me it stops sucking soon."

message 19: by Jim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) It gets better, Chris. Takes a while, though. Overall, it's good, not the best, though.

Chris  (haughtc) Thanks, Jim. I'll keep plugging away. It will likely be slow going until things get interesting, though. I have other reads going so I don't become apathetic to reading in general.

Christine (chrisarrow) It does get better, once everyone stops thinking how wonderful Honor is. I really wish that would stop. I get the hero bit, but every book now seems like it has to start with pages of how wonderful she is.

message 22: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 3152 comments Mod
I've been thinking about this, and about how exceptional Honor is. And I'm trying to remember that this series is a throwback, or an homage, to the stories of heroes who really were heroic--larger than life, more endowed with positive attributes and luck than the ordinary person. It's a contrast to the anti-heroes, and even the flawed heroes, of many books. And Honor is not without flaws--it's just that she is larger than life and those around her often don't see the flaws as she keeps her insecurities and fears tightly inside.

Lindsey | 379 comments Kathi wrote: "I've been thinking about this, and about how exceptional Honor is. And I'm trying to remember that this series is a throwback, or an homage, to the stories of heroes who really were heroic--larger ..."

Yes! This. Honor Harrington is not meant to be spot-on realistic but more the physical embodiment of all of a hero(ine)'s characteristics (someone help me... there's a word for this type of character and it currently escapes me). It reminds me a little of translations I've read of historic epics, like The Iliad or Beowulf, where the hero's characteristics are supposed to be exaggerated to set them apart and to insulate them somewhat from the bloodshed. (In more modern sff story telling, you can see this in many "warrior" cultures, notably the Klingons from Star Trek).

And I totally agree, this is in extreme contrast to many stories, particularly more modern stories, where, in order to be "real", the hero is expected to have a fatal flaw/vice/secret (ala House and his Vicodin addiction, Kvothe and his temper/pride, Rand Al'Thor and his madness, etc.).

Chris  (haughtc) 31% in. My eyes are bleeding....

I'm at the point where I'm contemplating abandonment.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Chris wrote: "31% in. My eyes are bleeding....

I'm at the point where I'm contemplating abandonment."

It gets good at the end.

Chris  (haughtc) Thanks, Sandra. I haven't given up yet.

Though if anyone thinks they might be interested in taking over lead on the discussions, feel free to pm me for terms....

Just in case....

Chris  (haughtc) I tried another chapter.

But no. It's not working. Might as well break it off now, before feelings are further hurt.

I'm done.

Sorry, Honor. I'll miss you.

Suzanne | 98 comments Good luck Chris. You are probably correct in that there are too many books out there to read - may as well read things that interest you.

I am about half done with in Enemy Hands now. Kathi and Lindsey, I really liked your comments about Honor as hero. They made me think, and it is true that currently I am reading very few books with larger-than-life heroic main characters. I guess that is not the current style.

Someone mentioned being bothered by Honor's teenager-like reaction to the Admiral's admiration at the start of the book. That didn't bother me too much, because I think her reaction had more to do with handling her newly strong empathic sense than with emotional immaturity. I do think that Honor IS more emotionally immature about love/relationships than about other life aspects; however, if I were having a business conversation with a superior, even one I admired, and then knew empathically that he was basically sexually interested, well I might react the same way. How DO you handle that when he didn't actually say or do anything? Hehe that is my excuse for her anyway.

Lindsey | 379 comments Suzanne wrote: "Someone mentioned being bothered by Honor's teenager-like reaction to the Admiral's admiration at the start of the book. That didn't bother me too much, because I think her reaction had more to do with handling her newly strong empathic sense than with emotional immaturity."

Impressive point. I had not really thought about that. Honor is dealing with a whole new ability to not only sense people's feelings/emotions but understand how true they are and the "resonance" she feels would be very unsettling. You are absolutely correct that we are seeing this through our lens of "merely" interpreting body language, tone, and conversations. Food for thought... makes me a little less annoyed at her reaction. Thanks. :-)