Authors Without A Yacht (AWaY) discussion

Current Events Discussion > Let's fight back!!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry Moniz (larrymoniz) | 57 comments Interesting article describing the overall extent of intellectual piracy. We tend to just think of it in publishing terms, but it's far more pervasive as the link below demonstrates.

http://www.ncpc.org/topics/intellectu...

message 2: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Rowena (rowenacherry) | 685 comments Mod
Thank you, Larry.

message 3: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Fighting back on EBay.

I wrote a rant on EBay. "Likes" and comments welcome.

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/The-...

message 4: by Joe (new)

Joe Vadalma (JoeVadalma) | 25 comments Mod
I read your rant and some of the comments. Although I think piracy is great problem and that pirates should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law -- they rarely are though, sigh -- it's a waste of time to go after the buyers. It's enough to educate them that there is no free lunch and that may be willing or unwilling accomplices of pirates. It's those who profit from piracy -- such as Ebay itself -- that should be prosecuted. It's the same way with the war on drugs. The addicts and low-level pushers who get sent to jail, while the gangsters who make millions off of illegal drugs are rarely prosecuted.

message 5: by Larry (new)

Larry Moniz (larrymoniz) | 57 comments Joe, I agree. EBay, Google, probably Amazon and the numerous specialized piracy websites should all be criminally prosecuted -- not the companies, you can't prosecute a company, but EACH and EVERY corporate officer from vice president up through the board chairman, with a MUST SERVE sentence of a year in prison for each and every count of illicit downloading. Maybe if Google's CEO and others spend the rest of their lives in prison, those of us who create the pilfered works will be able to make a reasonable living.

message 6: by Rowena, Group Owner (new)

Interesting... EBay writes

"Hello Rowena,

Thanks for letting us know there are listings on eBay that you suspect breach your intellectual property (IP) rights. I’m Vinny and I’ll be helping resolve your query.

We only allow rights owners who are members of our Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) programme to request the removal of listings that breach IP rights. If you're the rights owner for these items, we encourage you to join the programme.

To join the VeRO Programme, please fill out a Notice of Claimed Infringement - Statutory Declaration (NOCI) form for the items you reported in your previous email.

Sign it and fax it back to us at: 0044 870 458 4522."

I wonder whether EBay ought to have its safe harbor status challenged. It is surely not lawful to ignore any DMCA notices from anyone who does not join a club. That is "for consideration".