THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOK CLUB discussion

Authors and Their Books > How to promote your book on Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders Here is an article about how to properly promote your book on Goodreads. I hope it helps!

http://ellelapraim.com/how-to-use-goo...

message 2: by Derrolyn (new)

Derrolyn Anderson Great advice. Do you think that being an inactive member of a group is a bad thing? I like to follow different threads, but I don't always post comments. I had assumed that all the different groups wanted as many members as possible, but I don't want to be accused of being a slacker!

message 3: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders Derrolyn wrote: "Great advice. Do you think that being an inactive member of a group is a bad thing? I like to follow different threads, but I don't always post comments. I had assumed that all the different groups..."
Good question. I run a group myself and therefore, know who does and doesn't participate. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a looky-lue exempt that I strongly believe that one should give in order to receive, I am sure people would love the benefit of your thoughts. Plus, if you're an author, people in a group that you participate in, are more likely to buy your books, then one where you don't.

message 4: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Miller | 17 comments What about soliciting reviews of your book from other members? Like maybe offering a limited number of free ebook versions to people who would have the time and inclination to write a review? You wouldn't want to just give them away right and left, but maybe to the first five or ten people who respond?

message 5: by P.I. (new)

P.I. (thewordslinger) Elle wrote: "Here is an article about how to properly promote your book on Goodreads. I hope it helps!

http://ellelapraim.com/how-to-use-goo..."

Thank you Elle! Great article especially regarding the etiquette! I will try to be more considerate on GR!

message 6: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders Chuck wrote: "What about soliciting reviews of your book from other members? Like maybe offering a limited number of free ebook versions to people who would have the time and inclination to write a review? You w..."

That can work. You need to find groups that specialize in that. I know they are out there. My experience is that you want to be careful. Not everyone who says they will give you a review, will actually follow through.

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Meredith (goodreadscompetermeredith) | 17 comments As a self published writer, I concur ;)

message 8: by Chuck (new)

Chuck Miller | 17 comments Yeah, it would probably turn out to be more a waste of time than anything.

message 9: by Ken (new)

Ken Consaul | 307 comments Derrolyn wrote: "but I don't want to be accused of being a slacker!"

You would rather be a lurker???

kidding

message 10: by P.I. (new)

P.I. (thewordslinger) Chuck wrote: "What about soliciting reviews of your book from other members? Like maybe offering a limited number of free ebook versions to people who would have the time and inclination to write a review? You w..."
I've done that but try not to do it too often. I have to control myself from "selling"on groups/sites. I don't like hard sell from other authors and usually focus on GR members who actually offer to review. The only problem with that is the poor reviewers often get inundated with books to read and are overwhelmed for a long time. I do tell reviewers many times that I don't have any particular timeline for the review but I'm not really sure if that helps me or not, lol!

message 11: by Derrolyn (new)

Derrolyn Anderson Ken wrote: "Derrolyn wrote: "but I don't want to be accused of being a slacker!"

kidding"

A lurking slacker. :)

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian Loome (lhthomson) | 26 comments Derrolyn wrote: "Ken wrote: "Derrolyn wrote: "but I don't want to be accused of being a slacker!"

kidding"

A lurking slacker. :)"

A slurker.

message 13: by Derrolyn (last edited Feb 16, 2012 07:00PM) (new)

Derrolyn Anderson Slurking is a great way to avoid gutting it out and writing. Damn you Goodreads!

message 14: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 283 comments I joined the James Mason Book Club in 2011 to get feedback on my debut Epic Fable, Beyond the Elastic Limit, and several members in the group graciously complied
Their comments were appreciated and I took them to heart as I began my next Epic Fable, newly published and entitled Piercing the Elastic Limit.

The first book took some years but the new one came in a matter of months, and after writing it I went back to my first attempt with a new, more critical eye.

It was revised with all the honest observations I’d received in mind.

Thanks to these member’s reviews, I now have two fine novels to my name (both published in January 2012) and I thank them for their efforts in my regard.

I’m thankful to Goodreads as a whole, of course, but readers in the James Mason group in particular, as I value their insight, frankness and love of the written word.