The Warded Man (The Demon Cycle, #1) The Warded Man question

The shift forward in time was a mistake.
Heritor Heritor Feb 16, 2012 03:15PM
Was it? Roughly half way through the book Brett shifts forward in time, never to return. Although it swifty becomes apparent that the protagonist is still present, he no longer goes by the same name, looks the same, has the same interests, the same powers, the same personality or the same human relationships.

I found that this destroyed the connection I had been starting to feel towards him, causing me to lose interest in several major plot themes and resent the new cast of characters.

Anyone else? Anyone defend this move?

If you read the short stories and the 2nd book it does cover quite a bit of the gap,

Appart from being nice side stories that lengthen the book, they do not really add much in the way of char dev, they dont really give more to our understanding of the world, just a little decorating.

I mean at the end of his arlen arc he has pretty much changed to the warded man and forgotten most of his humanity, he is focused purely on killing corelings. I enjoyed his reawakening of his humanity and feelings in the 2nd book.

Overall I feel like you are trying too hard to analyse a book when in its series context its not really an issue.

Heritor To be fair, I've just started The Desert Spear now :D

Perhaps it will provide the continuity lacking from The Painted Man. Don't get me wrong, I liked
...more
Feb 17, 2012 06:06AM
Mick Salter stay with it, you will not be disapointed helps get the juices flowing for what is to come hopefully in the next book
Sep 21, 2012 03:18AM