Literary Fiction by People of Color discussion

good anthologies...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

Tara Betts (tara_betts) | 2 comments Hey all,
I'm wondering if there are key short story anthologies by writers of color of all persuasions that any of you would reccomend? If so, please share. Interested in reading more short fiction.

message 2: by J.R. (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

J.R. Randle (jrrandle) | 3 comments Hi Tara,

Anything by J.California Cooper! She is a phenomenal writer...guaranteed to make you laugh, cry, shout and yell! She is the Queen of Emotion and full of inspiration. Here are a few of her titles, "Homemade Love, "Some Soul To Keep", "Wild Stars Seeking Midnight Suns" and "Some Love, Some Pain, Some Time".

message 3: by Rona (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Rona Fernandez (ronagirl9) | 104 comments don't know if sci fi/speculative fiction is your thing, but the 'dark matter' anthologies (there are two of them), are excellent. I think Sheree Thomas is the editor of both.

message 4: by Tara (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Tara Betts (tara_betts) | 2 comments Yeah, the Dark Matter anthologies are good. I do love some J. California Cooper too. Here's a few anthologies that I've found:
BREAKING ICE edited by Terry McMillan
ANCESTRAL HOUSE edited by Charles Rowell
CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT edited by Gloria Naylor
I can't remember the name of the anthology edited by Langston Hughes, but I've been looking for collections of contemporary Black writers.

message 5: by Dusty (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:16PM) (new)

Dusty | 8 comments have you read MIXED an anthology of short fiction on the multiracial experience? i love this book.

message 6: by Medina (new)

Medina | 2 comments GUMBO is pretty good. i've been reading it for 4 years now. has an excellent mix of authors and subject matter. it's one of my "go-to" short story compliations.

message 7: by Maya (new)

Maya (mayaamarshall) | 2 comments The Best Short Stories by Black Writers 1899-1967 is the classic anthology edited with an introduction by Langston Hughes. Then there is the Simple series. I don't know of any contemporary anthologies of short fiction by people of color. There are some writers to take note of, though: Kiana Davenport. Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche, James Alan McPherson, Dorothea Duenow, and so on.

message 8: by Roy (new)

Roy (mplwdscribe) | 12 comments Proverbs for the People (Kensington Books)

Role Call (Third World Press)

message 9: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (krheck) | 4 comments Maya thank you for that recommendation, that is going on my short list immediately.