Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

On Becoming a Fairy Godmother
This topic is about On Becoming a Fairy Godmother
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
On Becoming a Fairy Godmother > On Becoming a Fairy Godmother - Discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Pamela Lloyd (pameladlloyd) | 45 comments I'm a bit behind, so I just finished this last night.

Although I liked some of the stories, overall I found this anthology disappointing. Too many of the stories shared the same characteristics of voice and theme, so that I felt like I was reading a series of stories about one woman's past life experiences.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 29 comments I just started finally. LOVED the first story - Loss, menopause, plumbing and mermaids...who would've thunk?

Pamela Lloyd (pameladlloyd) | 45 comments The first story was a lot of fun. :)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 29 comments Okay just read story Two - The Wicked Stepmother's Lament.

It is funny. I tend to like retellings of the fairy tales. But this I really enjoyed. To have Cinderella be SO good she really is out of touch with reality and so annoying you WANT to shake her and make her see how it is was an interesting perspective. The Stepmother's frustrations and anger seemed very real to me. And I wanted to take her down too. Also it kept making me flash a bit to Amy Adams in Enchanted...

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 29 comments Witch-Woman.

Sadly this felt very much like typical witch crying of the times. But I loved this quote:

"For if Issobel Gowdie is not a witch, then we are a mean uncharitable and superstitious people."

and so it still is....

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 56 comments Finished this today. Some bits of it I enjoyed very much, but other stories were difficult. It took me some time to figure out what she was talking about towards the beginning of some stories. I think I would have enjoyed them more if I was at a different stage in my life.

So overall, I was half into it, and half displaced.

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 29 comments The stories were hit and miss. Some I loved. Some not so much and the one Sybil not at all.

Glad I finished it at last but need something simpler now.

Claire | 24 comments I really enjoyed this read. Cinderella's stepmother and Guinivere felt fresh to me and the story about the mother becoming a pirate was so wonderful. I did not like the Sibyl story at all and I felt the fairy godmother tale fell flat as well.

Who would like this next? I need to pass it along cause books are meant to be read and not sit gathering dust in my house. Any takers?

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 56 comments Just a reminder that if there aren't any other takers, Baobhan will probably want it returned : )

I loved the pirate story as well.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.