Gay Science Fiction discussion

46 views
Introductions > Hi I'm Jon

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (oshokiyo) | 3 comments Hi, I'm very new to this forum so thought this would be the perfect way to introduce myself to you guys.

My name is Jon(athan), I'm 24 and I'm from Manchester in the UK. I'm currently a PhD student in biology, but don't let that fool you I'm really not all that smart, my blondness tends to take over more often than not.

I've always been a bit geeky, growing up on star trek, and have continued on into reading sci-fi novels. I personally love gay sci-fi novels where being gay is a part of the story, not the story itself. That is to say the main character happens to be gay as apposed to a gay man being in space or something. Perhaps i've just had a bad selection of books =D

This has gotten a tad too serious for my liking so I'll end by saying nice to meet you all!! I hope to speak to you soon, and I'd appreciate any ideas for my next read =D

take care!


message 2: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 787 comments Mod
Young, blond and geeky huh? So I'm guessing you look pretty much like this:



Jonathan wrote: "I personally love gay sci-fi novels where being gay is a part of the story, not the story itself. That is to say the main character happens to be gay as apposed to a gay man being in space or something."

But you like Ethan of Athos, right? Please make an exception for Dr. Urquhart.


message 3: by Meghan (new)

 Meghan (mm_reads) | 168 comments Mod
Hi Jon, welcome!

I personally love gay sci-fi novels where being gay is a part of the story, not the story itself. That is to say the main character happens to be gay as apposed to a gay man being in space or something. Perhaps i've just had a bad selection of books =D

Do you remember any of the books you might have read? That way we can get a more specific idea of what to avoid recommending. :)


message 4: by Oco (last edited Feb 16, 2012 10:15PM) (new)

Oco (Ocotillo) | 107 comments Hi Jon!

When I read a book, I like to be able to identify with the protag. Become them for the reading (to some degree, anyway). And I think most people do that, so it can be cool to find protags that more closely resemble one's self. I can imagine that if the protag flirts with the 'wrong' gender (for the reader, I mean), it can pull one out of the story just that little bit that keeps it from being a totally immersive experience.

It'd be nice if protags started coming in more flavors than white anglo saxon protestant straight. I mean, that's improving on the whole, but not very fast.

Don't have to make a big deal of the protags identity that way, just let them be who they are, and the reader can relax into their escape.


message 5: by Charming, Order theorist (last edited Feb 17, 2012 10:50AM) (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 787 comments Mod
Oco wrote: "It'd be nice if protags started coming in more flavors than white anglo saxon protestant straight. I mean, that's improving on the whole, but not very fast. "

Hmm; I wonder if we should have a diversity shelf? I am trying to resist having a million shelves, but that seems like a really good one. I will ask Meghan what she thinks.


message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 88 comments Sam Delany's characters are usually black or various shades of brown and from unusual backgrounds.


message 7: by Charming, Order theorist (new)

Charming (charming_euphemism) | 787 comments Mod
Kernos wrote: "Sam Delany's characters are usually black or various shades of brown and from unusual backgrounds."

Thanks - good to know.


message 8: by Jerry (new)

Jerry | 19 comments Jonathan wrote: "Hi, I'm very new to this forum so thought this would be the perfect way to introduce myself to you guys.

My name is Jon(athan), I'm 24 and I'm from Manchester in the UK. I'm currently a PhD stu..."


Nice to meet you Jon.


message 9: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (oshokiyo) | 3 comments Hey everyone, thanks for the messages =)


back to top