European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > For the King's Favor: Ch. 1 - 15

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss chapters 1 to 15 of For the King's Favor here.

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments I'm about a quarter of the way in, up to chapter 13. So far, I'm enjoying it more than Greatest Knight - it feels like there's more interesting things going on to me. I like that Ida is growing and learning.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 35 comments I have finished this book, so I will have to look back and make sure I do not say too much. My impression of Ida is that she is almost too perfect. I love her, but then I find myself asking if she really could have been that way though. She seems to make the best of things with Henry, is very mature in her decision making, and has that sweet personality that nothing is able to imbitter. Roger's character is a little more realistic to me. He is desirable, successfull, but withdrawn and unexcitable. At first I didn't know if I was going to like this book because of the lack of focus on the royal family, but it ended up being nice to read about things from a different perspective. A few major historical events ended up not covered in as much detail as I would have liked, but from the point of view of an "everyday citizen" I suppose that is what most major events really are like. I have started the book following this one "To Defy a King" and not liking it as much, but I have not read "The Greatest Knight."

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 35 comments OK, so I decided to stop being lazy and just go get the book. Now I am reminded that my least favorite part of this section, probably of the whole book, was the scene in Chapter 7 of the woman doing the exotic dance for the soldiers . . . and the aftermath. Way more information than I require of that sort of activity. I understand that it was supposed to show how much Roger differs from the other men and that he feels women should be treated with love and respect, but this scene made me put the book down for a little while.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments Samantha wrote: "I have finished this book, so I will have to look back and make sure I do not say too much. My impression of Ida is that she is almost too perfect. I love her, but then I find myself asking if she ..."

I agree about Ida. That's my main complaint about Chadwick in general - I read The Greatest Knight and Isabella de Clare (the main female character) is the same way. To a certain extent, the male main characters are the same way I think, sooo honorable and chivalrous. I understand wanted to make a likeable character but realistic characters need a few more flaws than Chadwick's characters have. I think it's what prevented me from giving Greatest Knight 4 stars and likewise, I'll probably give this one 3 stars. The writing quality is great, the plot is interesting - but the characters just don't really speak to me.

The sexual stuff doesn't bother me, especially if I feel there's a reason for it.

message 6: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 35 comments I find that I liked this book more for the general information about the time period than the characters themselves. I enjoyed it while I was reading it, but it did not leave me with lingering thoughts about it after I was done.

message 7: by Destiny (new)

Destiny | 51 comments I am up to Chapter 6 and so far I prefer the first two books of the series. As everyone else did, I noticed the main woman is almost perfect while everyone elses woman is not.

message 8: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 54 comments I made the mistake of finishing this book before commenting on each section. So this’ll be a little harder for me to remember the reactions I had to each chapter, but overall I really enjoyed this book. Based off of the Author’s note, it said there wasn’t much information to go on for Ida. With that being said, I think Chadwick made her into a believable person. As naïve 15 yr old entering court life, she was both excited and scared. Here she is dolling up to be cute and noticed and then turns out to be noticed by the King himself. Can you imagine the trepidation as she realizes exactly what he wants from her?! She probably couldn’t even work herself up to be flattered. . . he’s old(er), most likely not in the least good looking, he doesn’t woo her, just takes her virginity with a couple of sweet words and sends her back to her room. She’s an heiress, expected to make a good marriage and taught that virginity is sacred and desired in a new wife. She feels ashamed and can’t do a thing about it. I can understand her shame and embarrassment because she didn’t seem to be in love with Henry or really even like him much for that matter – had it been different . . .had she been attracted to him, loved him, I believe she may have come to terms with her position, even flaunted it for what it was worth.
She is treated respectfully, but she sees the looks other woman give her – knows the jibes at her expense from the men. Can you imagine that walk through the courtyard, with all barons, knights and such awaiting her to leave so Henry will come out and go Hawking. She is mortified and I can understand it. She is given gifts and dresses, but isn’t that just payment for a service?! Overtime she says she comes to a familiar pattern with Henry and tries to enjoy herself. I had to laugh out loud though, when she commented that she was beginning to ‘feel something’ but it was over before she could capture it. . . MEN!!!
Enter our Hero  . . . . . now with Roger, Ida feels attraction, passion, he’s cute, young and she feels drawn to him. Although it’s only in snippets, Ida likes what she sees and wants him. It works in her favor that he wants her in return. I love how he wouldn’t just agree to it though; he wanted to talk with her first. And when he walks away from her initially – I cheered!
Henry did the right thing by letting her get married, but it was hinted he was tired of her. It’s a shame baby William couldn’t go with her. I understand why Henry would want to keep him, but as a Mother, I would be a mess to leave my child. The poor kids in those days. It was fun recognizing who the baby was.

Sorry I chatted so much . . .

message 9: by Destiny (new)

Destiny | 51 comments Taking William from Ida made me upset, but it was common for men to take their sons if the mother left. Roger Bigod remained with his father and wasn't really allowed to see his mother.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments Destiny wrote: "Taking William from Ida made me upset, but it was common for men to take their sons if the mother left. Roger Bigod remained with his father and wasn't really allowed to see his mother."

Yeah, I also think it's understandable that men of the time did not want to raise another man's son. As honorable as Roger is portrayed, he would not have wanted William in his life with his new wife, he would have been a constant reminder of Ida's involvement with another man.

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue During the 2/15-3/15 timeframe, I was only able to read this first third of the 'For the King's Favor'. I am going to move on, for now, to 'Queen of Last Hopes', because, when it was selected for 3/15-4/15, I discovered that my library did not have it, so I tried out a service that they offer, where, for books published within the last year or so, one can request that they purchase the book to add it to their collection. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that not only did they acquire it almost right away, but that they had automatically put my name in as a "hold" for the book, so as soon as they had processed it, I received a notification that I could come and pick it up! Very nice of them, and therefore I think I shouldn't wait to start that book :)

As for "King's Favor" - I will come back and finish it later this year. I haven't read many of Chadwick's books yet, but have wanted to read them for a while. I see what some of you are saying about the main characters having very few flaws... I think the 'drama' that is in the story to hold my interest (keeping in mind that I've only read the first third, so the plot may change), has to do with Roger's quest to regain an inheritance that he may or may not be granted, and his determination to rebuild; with Ida's dilemma of wanting something different from life than being the King's mistress - and, just as we end ch. 15, she discovers that she will have to build a new life without her son; and then with Roger having learned caution and wariness in his dealings with other people - so, he's taken a risk (from his point of view) to trust Ida - can they establish their marriage with a foundation of trust and love, and can they maintain that?

Thanks to the E. Royalty group for having these Group Reads, and thanks to all who particpate in the discussions - it definitely adds to the reading experience - and helps me to decide 'what to read next' from the myriad options that are out there!