European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > For the King's Favor: Overall

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Feel free to discuss anything about For the King's Favor in this thread. If you (and others) are here, you (and they) have finished the book, so don't worry about posting spoilers. If you haven't finished the book, you may not want to read anything here yet!

Also, please let us know how you rated the book (3/5, 4 of 5, however you choose)!

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments I've finished, I gave it 3 out of 5 stars. My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 35 comments This is pretty much what I thought too. It was ok while reading it, but quite forgetable. I also just finished the next book in the series, To Defy A King, and liked it less. I had planned on reading the other two, but may change my mind now.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments Samantha wrote: "I also just finished the next book in the series, To Defy A King, and liked it less."

That's a shame, I already have To Defy A King because I picked it up cheap on Kindle before I'd read anything from Chadwick (I had gotten Greatest Knight and For the King's Favor for free on Kindle so I thought I might as well get the last book while it was on sale). So I'll be reading it at some point.

I really feel like I'm missing something with Chadwick. Her books are SO popular and highly rated here on Goodreads (in my experience, an average rating of 4 stars or higher is really good) and while I do think she has very good writing skills (grammatically correct, good attention to historical detail, no anachronisms, etc), I also feel like the books don't quite live up to the hype. What am I missing?

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samanthajw) | 35 comments Robin wrote: "What am I missing?i>

Whatever "it" is, I think I'm missing it, too.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura | 99 comments I think I am missing it too. I really enjoyed this one (more than some of her others that I have read). I hate to say this, but to me they remind me of better written romance novels. I don't know if some of the reviews and comments I heard about her writing raised my expectations unfairly or if it something else. Having said that though, I will continue to read her books because I do like her writing and her books are better than others that I have read.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (ukamerican) | 188 comments Yes, they definitely seem like romance novels, and they are shelved by some people on Goodreads as such. Maybe that's part of the problem, I'm not big on romance.

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (morris051200) | 4 comments In general, I agree with all of you--this book held my interest, but wasn't among the best I have read in the genre. I was introduced to Chadwick through my nook when The Greatest Knight was offered as the Free Friday selection over the summer and found that I enjoyed that one more than this one. I plan to read one of her novels outside the Marshall series at some point to see if that is why they are so highly rated on this site.

message 9: by Destiny (new)

Destiny | 51 comments I gave the book 3 stars. I've enjoyed all of her books while reading and will read to defy a king because I have a thing with reading all of a series. However,they aren't really something I will remember for too long after. I have heard her books are all like romance novels.

message 10: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 54 comments Samantha wrote: "In general, I agree with all of you--this book held my interest, but wasn't among the best I have read in the genre. I was introduced to Chadwick through my nook when The Greatest Knight was offere..."

I'm kinda in the same boat. . . I was introduced to Chadwick through the free nook purchase "The Greatest Knight" and loved it. I haven't read anything other than the next 2 Marshall books, and plan on reading the last. I will agree they do sway to the romantic side, but I get the history in there as well, which is what I really enjoy. I do want to try another book outside of the series.