Laurie R. King Virtual Book Club discussion

The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #1)
This topic is about The Beekeeper's Apprentice
Archived VBC Selections > February 2012 - The Beekeeper's Apprentice

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vicki (vickivanv) | 282 comments Mod
This is a test discussion--woohooo.

I can see where some of it veers toward cozy country, but then you get some pretty significant violence and mayhem too. I knew almost nothing about it going in, and not a lot about MREG, which I dove into right afterwards. The main impression I remember having about both of them was an overwhelming sense unputdownableness.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments I was 15 when I first read this so it holds alot of nice memories!

I really could have used more book-gals like Russell when I was a teen But she was still a great feminist morale-booster when I met her in my mid-thirties. :)

Good female protagonists were much harder to find back in the day. S'much bettah now.

Sabrina Flynn | 1158 comments Mod
Someone explained the overall plot: Sherlock Holmes takes on 15 year old apprentice. I thought it sounded brilliant and was hooked by the opening page.

I like that this shows how many stars each person gave the book that were discussing. Pretty cool.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments I like that too, also as an aside, I wrote Laurie a fan letter when I was 15, when she wrote back I was comely over the moon!!

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments Completely even!!

Erin (tangential1) | 1638 comments Mod
I wrote Laurie a fan letter too! I think I was 19 or 20 though, as a friend introduced me to the series the summer after my freshman year of college. It was the first and only time I have ever written to an author and I felt like a total fool writing (I'm sure my fangirl was totally showing...I've only recently been able to shake that a little ;-P), but I was over the moon when I got a reply. I've got that letter tucked away in a keepsake box somewhere.

message 10: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (jenld) | 420 comments I remember thinking these two are going to get together but this author is way too classy to do it in an inappropriate way so of course, I was hooked! I loved the idea that they are teacher and student, then colleagues. Mary would have had to have been something to interest Holmes. I love the story with all the dogs and how Mary could command them with a word!

Camilla | 68 comments I was introduced to it by a friend (who didn't read any further in the series -go figure!). Completely captivated from the first sentence.

Meaghan (meags) | 5 comments Found this book at a Borders while at college. I was looking for a good mystery and vaguely remembered seeing a book about Sherlock Holmes with a female apprentice when I was at my hometown library years before. All I could find was LRK (which was probably what I had seen all those years ago) and when I read the first page of BEEK I was hooked. I loved that she almost tripped over him. Plus peripatetic was a word I had never heard of before. It was inevitable that I would read them all.

FYI--here is the proboards site. Not gorgeous--it's looking pretty 2004, but it's got some nice features, and the platform has been around for a while and gathered a small but loyal community around the platform. I'll post this also on the other threads here and on the "future of the VBC" thread

Margaret | 128 comments When reading became difficult I discovered audiobooks in the public library, and then rentals. I was browsing through the wonderful old Recorded Books Co. catalog looking for new authors. Beekeeper's Apprentice sounded interesting. Before the second cassette I became an LRK fan. Obviously 5 stars, more if it were possible.

Hi, Margaret! These days, I take in about 90% of the books I read via audio, thanks to the diabolical ease of audible's iphone app. I'm about to finish Walter Isaacson's biography of Einstein, which was narrated by Edward Hermann. He's such a fantastic reader, his involvement will probably factor at least somewhat into my future acquisitions. But nothing I've heard comes close to Roy Dotrice's performances of George RR Martin's Story of Fire and Ice series. They're almost not to be believed--all those distinctive voices, each perfect for the character. I bow to him. *Bows*

message 16: by Lenore (new)

Lenore | 1079 comments Vicki wrote: ". . . nothing I've heard comes close to Roy Dotrice's performances of George RR Martin's Story of Fire and Ice series. They're almost not to be believed--all those distinctive voices, each perfect for the character. "

Oh, yes! But Jim Dale, as the "Harry Potter" reader, was also pretty amazing.

Dale is amazing too. All those accents they do are mind-boggling, not to mention how they keep them all straight and consistent.

message 18: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments Jim Dale will always be the Carry On king...

Camilla | 68 comments Oh, but you haven't heard Stephen Fry reading Harry Potter! Sublime.

I need to see one of those sometime.

Camilla | 68 comments I own Book 2 read by Stephen Fry. If you send me your details I'll happily lend it to you. All the others were library copies, unfortunately.

message 22: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments Oh yes, Stephen is God!

message 23: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments Vicki, Carry On's are VERY British and as such very British in their humour. I ADORE them, so if you catch one and you love it, I'll love you forever! Of course, if you don't get it, I'll totally understand and love you anyway! ;-)

Oh, I looved Stephen Fry reading the first two Hitchhiker books. Then they switched to Martin Freeman, who was also wonderful, but the change left me a little addled for the first few chapters of the third book.

You know, I may see if I can use tunnelbear to download the Stephen Fry version of one of the HP books. I used tb to get the digital download of the Sherlock soundtrack from Amazon UK last week, wooohooo. That's also how I watched series 2 on iplayer. <3 tunnelbear! I'm still using it to watch Being Human, although it's not so good this season as it was in previous years. Meh.

message 25: by Jen LD (last edited Feb 28, 2012 02:04PM) (new)

Jen LD (jenld) | 420 comments I listened to Stephen Fry read "Philosopher's Stone" and I was disconcerted. Not that he's not a good reader but that he sort of had a different take on HP. He has a wonderful goofy rubbery voice, very jaunty and full of fun. I found I missed the different characterizations that Jim Dale portrayed. I think if I'd started with Stephen, I'd love him just as dearly. Jane Entwistle reading "Flavia" is really my favorite just now. She has a wonderful crinkly way of being Flavia and an even more pixilated,(but also related)way of being her sisters. All her characters are just pare-fect (that's the way her "perfect" sounds!)Flavia's cook, Dogger (and about 20 others) are just as great that you forget they come out of one person! I'm glad that this is a good avenue for actors because there's no way they'd get to give such a tour-de-force in the normal world of theater or film....
Jennifer

message 26: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments Gav loves Being Human...I could never get into it...

Audible apparently has a studio in New Jersey, and a lot of their readers are Broadway and off-Broadway actors who come in when they're not performing onstage to supplement their income. That's a nice way to support the arts, I think!

I adored BH the first couple of seasons, liked it immensely the third, but this season has been pretty shaky. I'm sticking with it for the time being, but will drop it if things don't firm up in the next few episodes.

When does the Doctor return? *Impatient*

message 28: by Jen LD (last edited Feb 28, 2012 03:50PM) (new)

Jen LD (jenld) | 420 comments Doctor nothing, Vicky! I am quietly stewing until I get to see the new Sherlocks! I could never get any of those magic links to the BBC to open..! Drat! With Amy billowing and cooing about them with as much restraint as possible (and that's saying something where BC is concerned...) I had to pace the anticipation! Shall we have some sort of American "watch it together" party? I did that once with LOTR...
Jennifer

message 29: by Vicki (last edited Feb 28, 2012 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, they rock the Casbah! US people need to use tunnelbear to watch those episodes on BBC's iPlayer. Download the app at tunnelbear.com, and you can switch it on before surfing to iplayer. Tunnelbear will show a UK IP address, so it lets you stream UK material. So just pull up Sherlock on iplayer and hit play. You do have to pay $5 to get a month of unlimited bandwidth on tunnelbear to see them all. But you can cancel after you watch them.

message 30: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (jenld) | 420 comments Vicki, God bless you, no one word of your directions was comprehensible to me! I need an IT person sitting with me to do these things! I know it's not hard, (theoretically) but I believe I am going to wait. There is also a huge chance the library will have the dvd/blue-rays pretty soon (no law against buying them as soon as they come out...we got seried 2 Downton Abbey on Monday!)
Jennifer

Ah, well--if you change your mind, I'll try to find you a good tutorial on tunnelbear. I've ended up keeping it even though Sherlock is over, and use it at least once or twice a week.

message 32: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

I usually stream from megavideo...except I think they just got pegged by the govment. bah.

I just got series two of Sherlock in it's entirety from some pirate-y friends. Yes, I know "illegal" downloads are very wrong, but we're all going to buy it when it finally goes on sale here anyway, so how wrong can we really be?

message 33: by Vicki (last edited Feb 28, 2012 08:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think content owners who distribute their stuff in such a way that people who are eager/able to buy it can't do so pretty easily, they're begging for piracy. Clue up, people. Make distribution ubiquitous, easy, and at a reasonable price, and you will win, pirates or no.

message 34: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments Jen wrote: "Doctor nothing, Vicky! I am quietly stewing until I get to see the new Sherlocks! I could never get any of those magic links to the BBC to open..! Drat! With Amy billowing and cooing about them wit..."

Sorry Jen ;D I do try and be restrained...honest...

message 35: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments I think they're currently filming the next series of Doctor Who as we speak...there are rumours that BCD is going to play the master??? Not sure how I feel about that...but Matt Smith and BC in the same programme can't be bad!!

message 36: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments BCD?? I meant BC as in Benedict Cumberbatch...got it? Good.

I saw that rumor last night. I think BC would *rock* as the Master!

message 38: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

A super Doctor Who fan friend was telling me the other day that apparently Matt Smith originally auditioned for the role of Sherlock...and Benedict Cumberbatch auditioned for the role of the 12th Doctor. How completely bizarre would both of those shows have been if they'd gotten those roles instead of the one's the have??

The producers made the right choices there--both actors are perfect in their roles. Still it would be interesting to peek into an alternate universe where they play the opposite roles, just to see...

message 40: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments I heard that, but I think Matt Smith auditioned for Watson and he was way too wacky so they invited him to go for the Doctor Who part instead?? Hadn't heard that about BC though...think I prefer him as Sherlock...

message 41: by Jen LD (last edited Mar 06, 2012 05:49AM) (new)

Jen LD (jenld) | 420 comments No worries Vicky! I appreciated your explanation even if I would need you right beside me to get me through it...

Heh--I posted the nutshell version over in the other thread. Much mo understandable, I think. :)

message 43: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John (jtb1951) | 549 comments Mod
We interrupt this program for a special announcement: :-) I would like to invite everyone to try out the test ninjapost VBC site, found here: http://vbc.laurierking.com/. It is getting some good early reviews! And now back to your regularly scheduled program!

John.