Laurie R. King Virtual Book Club discussion

Archived Housekeeping > Howdy over here!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 163 (163 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickivanv) | 282 comments Mod
Hi, over here on Goodreads! We're just doing a trial run of a Goodreads community and testing out features. Oh, it says I can add a book/author. I will try that now. I am SO glad I finally read The Beekeeper's Apprentice all those years ago, even though I was not a Sherlock Holmes fan. Little did I know.... :D

message 2: by Vicki (new)

*Waves* I've only invited 4 peeps so far--not so many are over here on gr yet. But maybe they'll like the group function, even if they don't like the whole site.

message 3: by John (new)

John (jtb1951) | 549 comments Mod
Greetings to you both! I am doing this from my phone at work so I can't do much right now. I will look more extensively when I get home tonight!

John.

message 4: by Vicki (new)

Howdy, John! Goodreads does tend to be heavy in the intense reader category. But for those who don't much like it, it does look possible to bypass all the individual GR stuff and just participate in the group. But if not, we have some decent alternatives.

message 5: by Vicki (new)

This is just one test board--I'll have 2 or three other test spots on other services, but not FB--their discussion features just aren't quite there yet. At least insofar as I've seen.

message 6: by John (new)

Vicki, am I able to start a different discussion thread (such as "What Are You Currently Reading" for test purposes) or do you have to add threads?

message 7: by John (new)

After a little looking around, I answered my own question and discovered how to start a discussion :-).

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Sorry--I've been out and about. Glad you got it sorted. Most everyone can do stuff like start discussions and add photos and events--that's the group default. We can change it if need be, but we can test it as is and see how it goes. Hope the dishes went well. :)

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin (tangential1) | 1638 comments Mod
Hello! I was kind of hoping to do this kind of run. I know we were getting fairly vehement negative thoughts on switching to a GR board, but I really do think it basically has all the same functionality we're used to. Just a different face. Let's play with it!

Though...I'm going snow-shoeing this weekend, so I'll have to play with it on Monday ;-)

message 10: by Vicki (new)

S'okay--I'm setting up two or three other spots, so we can see how it will all shake out. Happy snow-shoeing!

message 11: by Erin (new)

Totally awesome discovery! The goodreads app for my Nook is actually really good. And you can completely bypass all the "confusing" stuff on the website with the app, since it takes you directly to either you're groups or bookshelves when you start up. Much more streamlined interface....even if the typing is slower.

message 12: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 68 comments This seems to function in much the same way as the old site. One question - I loved the "jump straight to the first unread post" feature in the old site - can you do that here?

message 13: by Vicki (new)

I'm not sure. I'll look at it as I putter about today.

message 14: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 68 comments Question answered - you can. It pops up in red as a new post under the thread. Right, as far as I'm concerned we can move here ;-)

message 15: by Vicki (new)

Oh, also on the forum home, where the discussion board header is, there is an "unread posts" link, so you can pull up the unread ones that way, also. Kewl!

message 16: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments Hello! *waves* I did it! Yay!

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Welcome oh ye of the extremely cool avatar. *Bows before the coolness*

message 18: by John (new)

Hi, Millie and Amy!! Glad you made it over to test the site out!

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments I'm liking it!

message 20: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 92 comments Hi friends, let's see what kind of limitations we find with this site. For example, can you only post a brief message that fits inside the box, or does it expand to fit the writer's thoughts?
And the adverts on the side--I'd guess we have to live with those. Does anyone have any objections to them?
And someone mentioned loving the photo sharing capabilities of the VBC as it is. Has someone tried posting some pictures here to see if it's a simple matter?
And now I've got down to the bottom of the box and it's expanded for me, which answers my first question.
Laurie

message 21: by John (new)

I posted a test photo, which was a simple matter. I like the fact that the photo file size doesn't seem to be restricted. I haven't played enough to see if we can put photos in different folders or if they all just reside in the photos group. Anyone else, feel free to test it out.

John.

message 22: by Erin (new)

The comment limitation is a character limit (pops up at the bottom right of the box when you start typing) and looks to be about 12k words; which should allow for a generous essay of a comment! ;-)

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments I made my peace with adverts a long time ago, will try posting a photo in a bit...

message 24: by Erin (new)

I don't mind the adverts as they are almost always for "sponsored books" and I have no problem with books getting a bit of sidebar attention.

message 25: by John (new)

Hi, Alice!!

John.

message 26: by John (new)

Welcome Steve and Roberta and Sabrina! Test it out!

John.

message 27: by Steve (new)

Steve I like the general format so far but the itsy-bitsy avatars are awful. You need a microscope to see who's posting.

Vicki, is there any way to show the avatars larger?

message 28: by John (new)

Welcome, Jennifer!!

John.

message 29: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (jenld) | 420 comments Hi John and thanks for the welcome. I am getting used to the site. I am going to experiment with enlarging the screen. It is a bit on the squinty side for me!
But overall, if we stick together, this is no biggie.
Best,
Jennifer

message 30: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (jenld) | 420 comments Huzzah! Success! If you press control and then the + key, you can make the screen bigger. And you can do that until the print is readable for you! My dd taught me this very very handy trick!
Best, Jennifer

message 31: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (jenld) | 420 comments But I agree about the avatars! Steve's mustache seems to dominate his photo! Hercule Poirot would be jealous!
Jennifer

message 32: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Flynn | 1158 comments Mod
Is there a 'group' management or bookmark type thing for Goodreads?

message 33: by Erin (new)

Jen wrote: "Huzzah! Success! If you press control and then the + key, you can make the screen bigger. "

If you have a scroll wheel on your mouse, you can also press control while scrolling up and it'll zoom the text.

@ Sabrina: Um, not sure what you're asking; what are you trying to do? As farmwifetwo said, you can pull up a list of which groups you are in through your profile. There doesn't seem to be a consolidated way to add/leave groups or change settings en masse, though. You've got to go to the main page for the group and then hit the "edit membership" link below the group profile pic to do any kind of "management" of your group options.

message 34: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Flynn | 1158 comments Mod
farmwifetwo wrote: "Sabrina wrote: "Is there a 'group' management or bookmark type thing for Goodreads?"

?????

It is listed at the bottom of your profile page if that's what you're wondering."

Oh, yeah that's what I was looking for. Didn't see it at the bottom of the page. Thanks.

message 35: by Alice (new)

Alice | 45 comments John wrote: "Hi, Alice!!

John."
Hi back at you. I have rummaged around Goodreads before and found their groups (all 20000+ of them) impossible to navigate and wonder how anyone without a direct link will ever find their way here? Just a thought, not everyone uses Goodreads, or Facebook or the other social media sites. This may limit the number of members even further from the VBCs numbers.

I also can't seem to figure out how to add a link, so wonder if that is possible on these posts. The "some html is OK" isn't very helpful as my knowledge of html is really limited. Sigh.

message 36: by Vicki (new)

I think we're stuck with avatar size, ads and the lack of a link button (other than for books and authors, at least). The last of these is the biggest PITA in my book--although it's very easy to make an html link, that still can't beat a button.

Still, there are some advantages, including the ease of running the venue and the lower likelihood of registration spam (a continuing and serious problem in the world of independent web communities). And I actually think being part of a larger ecosystem of serious readers that is well integrated with FB and twitter could be helpful for membership recruitment. While not everyone uses these networks, at least they could sign up for goodreads without using a FB or twitter account (unlike pinterest and an increasing number of services).

In short, I agree that it's not perfect--like all the other platforms I've looked at, it has definite pros and cons. The tire-kicking will help us figure out which combination of strengths and weaknesses are the best fit for us.

message 37: by Alice (last edited Feb 22, 2012 09:07PM) (new)

Alice | 45 comments I keep telling myself change is inevitable and I should just shut up and go with the flow...trying...I even uploaded some pictures, which turned into a major pain as I kept getting kicked out of Goodreads. I don't think it like AOL. Hey I just realized,no emotion-cons. Back to the basics, I guess, and a steep learning curve for the less than tech-no savvy such as moi. Trying a bit of html. Sigh.

message 38: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments I agree with Vicki, I think a place as big as goodreads would draw a larger crowd and could you put a link on Laurie's page directly to this one so if readers check out her website, the link to the bookclub here would appear there? If you see what I mean...

message 39: by John (new)

Welcome over here, Lenore! Try it out!

John.

message 40: by Vicki (new)

I sent invites to a few other LRK fans who've been in and out of the VBC and who might be interested in taking a look and giving feedback.

The other place I have set up right now is a lefora community, in case anyone hasn't already gone over there to take a look. Ninjapost is also a promising platform--I think it may be better than lefora, although I haven't set the trial space up yet.

message 41: by Vicki (new)

Goodreads has clearly claimed the throne of the biblio-social networking world. It was interesting when I was researching which bookish network to advise LRK to double down on--there were two other major contenders and a variety of potential upstarts that were trying to leverage their way into the space as early FB apps. But Goodreads has kept the momentum and the lead, while most of the others have either died off or stayed in place. So, as a continuing new media experiment and a space for true bibliophiles, I find it interesting and enjoyable, although there is definitely a lot of room for improvement on the platform.

message 42: by Lenore (new)

Lenore | 1079 comments John wrote: "Welcome over here, Lenore! Try it out!

Hah! You SEEM friendly, but it's really just an evil plot to make me try the "reply" mechanism and do my own emoticons!;-)

Seriously, thanks for the welcome and I AM getting more comfortable with this format. (I've been a Goodreads member for awhile, but very inactive and haven't figured out the details and possibilities.) Before we commit, though, I'd still like to test-drive the others that Vicki thinks have possibilities.

message 43: by Vicki (last edited Feb 23, 2012 08:33AM) (new)

I'll be posting another later today or tomorrow--it's at proboards, which is more of an elder statesman in the hosted community area, but they have some nice features and a good underlying support/enthusiast community that really likes the platform. The postninja board will take a little behind the scenes mojo to get up and running, as it has to be implemented as an LRK subdomain. Here is a sample of a ninjapost community, to give you an idea of the capabilities.

message 44: by Erin (new)

Alternatively, we could all become knitters and start a board on Ravelry. They're forum boards have all the fun extra's that everyone likes (easy linking buttons and photo uploading and emoticons and user ear-burns, etc, etc). ;-)

I kind of wonder what they've got as their base forum construction, now that Vicki is pointing out different forum hosts. They're kind of like Goodreads in that the forums are intrinsically imbedded in the main site, not an outside forum construction that is then sub-domained to another site.

message 45: by Vicki (new)

Ravelry is a great platform. Yah, I wonder what code they based their forums on. I've tried ning for a client, but it's just got too much for most communities--it tries to be a mini-facebook and that gets overwhelming for a small to medium sized group, most of whom are already on FB anyway. And the discussion features are sort of anemic, or at least they seem so in the midst of all the clutter.

message 46: by Alice (new)

Alice | 45 comments Erin wrote: "Alternatively, we could all become knitters and start a board on Ravelry. They're forum boards have all the fun extra's that everyone likes (easy linking buttons and photo uploading and emoticons ..." Now you are asking me to become more techo-savvy and learn a craft, well, that is just too much for this old woman. I refuse to start knitting now!! ;-)

message 47: by Lenore (new)

Lenore | 1079 comments Vicki, did you learn anything (as to Goodreads or the other platforms we're trying) about the possibility of migrating some of our old discussions (particularly the ones about LRK's books) over to the new site, so that we don't lose that accumulated knowledge?

message 48: by Steve (new)

Steve farmwifetwo wrote: "I'm not interested in joining another board. I know many people rave about pinterest/facebook and what I've seen of them, they're just another time waster and I waste enough time online. I was once..."

Let me just say here that I will NOT join Facebook under any circumstances. If the group migrates there (which seems unlikely but I just want to make my position clear) then I will not be continuing to participate.

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments I have no idea how to quote people...

message 50: by Amy (new)

Amy Perry (amy_perry) | 201 comments Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time ;-)

« previous 1 3 4