Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Public Library books on my Kindle

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JKR (new)

JKR (jkimberlyr) | 8 comments Last week I downloaded an eBook for Kindle from the Brooklyn Public Library... it is fantastic! I am hoping that they will increase the selection, but this system is free and easy. An avid reader's dream.

JKR

message 2: by Char (new)

Char  | 64 comments It is very cool. My local library system didn't have many ebooks to start but they have been adding them at quite a fast rate. Awesome!

message 3: by Lisa P (new)

Lisa P My son and I have both used the library lending...it is so easy, and they do have a fairly good selection of books now.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne (annecurrin) | 16 comments I LOVE the library lending!!!! Hoping to move to PA soon to be nearer my niece and her family (per her request lol!), and this will be a just perfect way to pick up some library books while trying to learn my way around a new area.

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tmitche2) | 3 comments What is the lending time you get from yours? We get 14 days from ours, I only get books that I know I can do in that timeframe. I'm kind of a slow reader. :)

message 6: by Karen M (new)

Karen M We get 14 days but I've learned the hard way, I only "take out" one book at a time. I had one week that I finished one book, was in the middle of book two and was notified three and four were available. Panic! Downloaded three and canceled four. I won't do that again.

message 7: by Marie (new)

Marie | 4 comments I have a Kindle Fire. How does library lending work?

message 8: by Charlene (new)

Charlene | 59 comments Marie wrote: "I have a Kindle Fire. How does library lending work?"

Marie, library lending is pretty cool but the selection depends on the library. First, have your library card and password handy. Download the Overdrive Console. http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc... This may not actually be necessary but I find that I can't find the digital titles when I just sign on directly to my library web site. Once you have top he Overdrive Console they have a link to find libraries. Go there and find your library and sign in to find books. Once you find a book you want you request the Kindle version and check it out. It will pop you over to Amazon site where you have the book sent wirelessly to your Fire. I hope this helps.

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Guilfoy | 42 comments I want to use the library lending service from my local library, but browsing through the selection I didn't see anything I wanted to read. :(

message 10: by Christy (new)

Christy (christybuttons) Ben wrote: "I want to use the library lending service from my local library, but browsing through the selection I didn't see anything I wanted to read. :("

Ben, FYI you can get a Boston Public Library ecard very easily online. Any resident of Massachusetts can get one and they have a larger selection of e-books than most of our smaller library networks. Just go to BPL.org and they'll walk you through the steps. Happy Reading :)

message 11: by Nora (new)

Nora Gaskin Esthimer (nora_gaskin) | 5 comments I have borrowed through my local library but as Ben says, the selection can be limited. I'm an Amazon Prime member and can borrow from Amazon, also. If I look at a book I'm interested in buying, Amazon will tell me if it's available to borrow.

I believe some publishers don't participate in ebook lending. I hope they all come around!

message 12: by George (new)

George | 8 comments I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I've heard that my local library participates in this, but I have never gotten around to investigating further. As has been noted, depending on the selection, of course, what a great opportunity!

message 13: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments I've been using library lending since it became available. I don't use it a whole lot, one or two books a month, but I've also had to exercise self control on the number of books I check out. My library allows 21 days on some books, and even I would be hard-pressed to read 10 books in that period of time! It's super-simple, since library lending interfaces with amazon and you don't need to use the cable to transfer books onto the Fire.

message 14: by Karen M (new)

Karen M My library seems to add books all the time to what's available but, of course, it's mostly bestsellers and popular authors. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just request what we really want, sigh.

message 15: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett I've only done it once, but I can't seem to get that book out of my archives now. Every time I download it, I get a message to buy it, so I delete it and it just goes back to my archives. That's my only experience with library books on Kindle. Anyone have any idea how to get it out of there permanently?

message 16: by Karen (last edited Jul 08, 2012 11:17AM) (new)

Karen (kbelloise) | 14 comments Elie wrote: "I've only done it once, but I can't seem to get that book out of my archives now. Every time I download it, I get a message to buy it, so I delete it and it just goes back to my archives. That's ..."

You have to go to your "manage my kindle" page on amazon and delete it from there. It keeps a copy of the link in your archives in case you want to borrow again or buy it. Just click it and select delete.

message 17: by Ben (new)

Ben Guilfoy | 42 comments Christy wrote: "Ben, FYI you can get a Boston Public Library ecard very easily online. Any resident of Massachusetts can get one and they have a larger selection of e-books than most of our smaller library networks. Just go to BPL.org and they'll walk you through the steps. Happy Reading :) "

Oh very cool, thanks!

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookfairy76) Does anyone know how to borrow ebooks from openlibrary.com and view them on the Kindle? Amazon has instructions, but I can't figure it out.

message 19: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 1 comments Love downloading books from my local public library. They have both Kindle and books on overdrive as well.

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen (kbelloise) | 14 comments Jessica wrote: "Does anyone know how to borrow ebooks from openlibrary.com and view them on the Kindle? Amazon has instructions, but I can't figure it out."

Openlibrary.com looks like a bunch of links to other sites. I think openlibrary.org is probably what you meant.

To borrow a book from there you have to find one that is available in kindle format. Once you do, and there aren't many that I found, there will be a link to the right that says "send to Kindle". Just click on that. It will take you to Amazon and then follow the instructions.

Downloading is the easy part. Finding a compatible book is the hard part.

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (bookfairy76) Karen wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Does anyone know how to borrow ebooks from openlibrary.com and view them on the Kindle? Amazon has instructions, but I can't figure it out."

Openlibrary.com looks like a bunch of l..."

Thanks! I see that now :-)

message 22: by Lara Amber (new)

Lara Amber (laraamber) | 42 comments I just got a library card last week and borrowed my first book today. It was really easy. This should definitely save me more money. I was never a DTB library patron after high school, I started to get a little phobic about the germs on those books considering how some people have really bad hygiene habits!

message 23: by Karen M (new)

Karen M I've been borrowing from the my local DigitalLibraryNJ for months. Other than the occasional long wait for a book, its great. I'm currently reading A Clash of Kings and am very glad that I'm not holding a 700+ page book in my hands (the next one in the series of 1100 pages).

message 24: by Nora (new)

Nora Gaskin Esthimer (nora_gaskin) | 5 comments amen, karen!

message 25: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) I would think there is a sanitizer for books ... ask one of the librarians what they use.